It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Scans Detect Autism In Six Month Olds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

A brain scan of a 6-month old with autism showing abnormal neuron pathways (red and yellow).

Autism is normally diagnosed in children at around 18 months to 2 years of age, when parents see odd behavior and take their child to the doctor. Unfortunately, by the time outward symptoms are apparent much of the faulty brain architecture underlying autism has already taken form. Corrective therapies that last a lifetime are all too often powerless to reverse the damage that occurred in those first two years. But a new study offers hope that autism could be detected in children as young as 6 months old and give treatments that much more of a head start.

Well the earlier this is detected the better I would imagine, so maybe this will aid in the treatment of Autism. I hope there are efforts within the Autistic community to develop new methods for communications. I did a THREAD on how the IPad has served as a breakthrough communication device to and from autistic people. I don't know which is more important, trying to change the brain chemistry and development, or to accommodate the disorder(?) and change some learning environments.

I am glad they can detect it earlier now, that should serve as a benefit for everyone involved, and maybe detecting at such eraly infant ages will better enable them to shape the continued development by altering their approach.

Autism is a complex disorder the biological cause of which continues to elude scientists. It’s main symptoms include impaired social interaction and restricted and repetitive body movements. We know it has a genetic component because two identical twins are more likely to share the disease than two fraternal twins. Although autism affects one in 110 children on average, children born into families with a history of autism have an almost one in five chance of being autistic. The children in the current study were considered high risk because they had older siblings who’d already been diagnosed with the disorder.

singularityhub.com...
neuro.psychiatryonline.org...
I am still on the fence as to the cause of Autism, and whether it is an environment reaction, or a benefical mutation that has not yet found it's place within society. I feel that there is some genius perspectives amongst many autistic people, and we have much to lear from their unique perspective and perceptions.

It is odd that many kids with Autism have siblings with the same condition. Nature vs nurture again, but I wonder how much is genetics, and what are the percentages of risk for families continuing to have children that already have an autistic child?
More info to the contrary:

But, according to ABC News’ chief health and medical editor Dr. Richard Besser, the imaging results are not distinguishable enough to make a clear-cut diagnosis.
“For a diagnostic test to be of value, you want to see extensive separation between your affected and not-affected groups,” said Besser. “There appears to be a ton of person-to-person variability. The likelihood that this will ever lead to a diagnostic test is pretty slim.”

abcnews.go.com...
Either way, this is a step in the right direction imo.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Stop injecting babies with mercury/toxin laden vaccines - end of autism.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

I appreciate and share your perspective, but why hasn't anything been done and proven? I realize Big Pharma has influence in many studies that deny a vaccine link, but I still think if there was enough evidence that someone would be making an issue of it via the judicial system. I don't have children, but you can bet I would find out everything about any suggested vaccinations.

But there are numerous cases of Autism in children that did not have the suspect vaccines, and there are numerous children that did receive the vaccines and are doing fine in life, so I am still uncertain about it all.
What is sad is that money can trump truth these days

spec

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There are plenty of things being done. But the problem is, as you correctly mention, that big pharma have a very tight grip over government decision making. The courts are private corporations running for profit too so I wouldn't count on them to do anything unless enough people kick up a stink thus embarrassing them to act.

Have a look at what mercury does to human brain neurons.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

Oh I know about mercury for sure, but my understanding is mercury has been removed from modern vaccinations.

By 2001, Thimerosal was removed from most vaccines in North America and Europe. It was gradually replaced by other non mercury compounds, and some vaccines have been formulated so they don't need preservatives.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...
A good read, but perhaps biased a bit.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
Stop injecting babies with mercury/toxin laden vaccines - end of autism.

And then we can all die of Polio and Smallpox! Thank god your here to inform us you Internet Commenter you.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

And then we can all die of Polio and Smallpox! Thank god your here to inform us you Internet Commenter you.

I didn't say stop vaccinating, I implied that we should stop pumping the bodies of babies with toxins found in many vaccines.

Besides, mercury is not the only toxic substance to be found in vaccines.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Unfortunately, this still does not warrant full compliance with doc's suggested plethora of vaccines these days. Some, yes, but all they want? No, imo.
But I was hoping this thread was more about the diagnosing factor, and how the earlier the better

edit on 23-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join