It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Baby Mauled to Death by PIT BULL - Should they be Banned?

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomdham

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

Originally posted by tomdham

Originally posted by andersensrm
reply to post by nixie_nox

Okay..... So should they be banned or not?

Short answer:
No, they should be eliminated.

73's,
Tom

Then what........
Back to German shepards, rotweillers, labs, mastiffs, great pyrenees, retrievers, dobermans, and chows.
Nonsense.

Those breeds are defensive dogs, I have bred Golden retrievers.
The most intelligent and best mannered by the way, IMHO.

Pit bulls are bred to kill, hence PIT fighting. Guess you have never been to Louisiana and saw a dog fight?
Ask Michael Vick. He knows all about animal cruelty and Pit bulls.

73's,
Tom

Got rid of all the cats once.... then....... The Black Plague.
Humans need to go to a planet with nothing to exploit and kill, except each other.

God no, if I ever know of a low life that is fighting dogs, I will call the police so fast..
And you bred dogs? Man are you part of the problem. If you are going to dog fights, you are breaking the law, and I suggest you stop feeding the problem. Dog fighters belong in Hell where they can be attacked and tortured by demons for eternity.

Sorry for the aggression guys, he hit a HUGE nerve.

link   
reply to post by tomdham

I know of a lab who attacked a child. So we should ban them too, since they seem to have a propensity to attack.

link   
reply to post by Legion2024

That is scary, and I'm sure the kids were traumatized, and anything could have triggered it. A beekeeper I know loves his bees, and he had never been stung in 10 years, and then one day he was attacked and he couldn't understand it. Then he remembered he had picked up a dead opossum and tossed it out of the yard earlier, and apparently the smell had gotten on him and infuriated the bees when he approached.

Anyhow, I'm sorry for your injuries, but even more sorry you are missing the companionship of a GOOD dog! I blew myself up once and got extreme injuries over 25% of my body. BUT, I'm not afraid of fire. I still barbeque, and I still have a fireplace, and I still build bonfires. We have to realize freak accidents happen, and not let them affect us on a deep and emotional level.

For those wanting to fend off a dog attack here are some tips.

1. Be dominant, even if you are losing. Dogs bark and growl out of fear. The winning dog is not making a lot of noise, the losing dog is making all the noise. Make yourself as large and intimidating as you can, always advance, don't retreat unless you have a clear safe place you can hide.

2. Just like when fending off a person, go for their vulnerable spots. Their underbelly is soft. The bottom of their jaw is soft. Shoving something down their throat forces their mouth open and forces them to gag and retreat. If you have a stick, use it to poke, don't swing it. Use it to create distance. Jab them in the neck, or belly, or armpits, or into their mouth. By that same philosophy, protect your own vulnerable parts! Cover your face and neck, keep your arms and elbows close to your body.

3. Never turn your back (that is how I got bit, LOL). Some dogs bite out of fear, and they won't bite until you turn away from them.

4. If you can take a dog off of its feet, then the dog will cease being aggressive and immediately switch to defense. Dogs hate to lose their footing. Pick the dog up if it has already latched onto you, and toss it over a fence, or slam it to the ground, or toss it in some water or traffic or whatever you have to do! Use its tail, or legs, or collar, or whatever you can grab.

5. If a dog has a collar grab it and twist your hand. It is simple to choke out a dog, even a very strong-necked dog like a pit. Grab the collar and twist to tighten it around their neck and cut off their air.

6. Use your size and weight. If you can get behind it, or on top of it, then do so, but be careful not to fall to the ground and expose yourself. Keep your footing, but use your weight to control the dog if possible.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Maybe the Owners who train these dogs should be banned, When you say banned do you mean round up all these animals and Euthanize them because if thats the case i strongly disagree. Maybe these dogs are too dangerous to be kept as pets but so are lions and tigers, these animals should probably be released in the wild somewhere but killing them off is not the answer

link   
to ban a race of dog because it has killed a few of ours is ignorant in my view! its like banning the sun for causing skin cancer! dogs were here before us, we have no right to ban another animal. whhat will be next? concentration camps for pit bulls? think about it! there are humans worse than a race of dog!!! instead of trying to control other races and species, let us concentrate on our own species and fix what needs fixed!

link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
"While Cesar believes that dogs should be loved, he also believes and advocates for boundaries in a human/ dog relationship. His belief is that a pit bull who recognizes boundaries is less likely to be aggressive or fearful. The mistake many people make when "loving" their dog, is to let the dog take liberties and do as it wants.

Even though I think that guy is a few crayons short of a full box, I agree completely with that. Some people just don't put any thought into the way they interact with other people and animals, they don't realize every single thing they do is being absorbed. A part of having any relationship with anything is establishing boundaries, especially with dogs since they are such socially oriented animals. Dogs seek to establish their place with you and they literally make it their life goal to do so, once it is established its harder to break it. So when you are around an animal that is looking to you to find its place, you literally have to pay attention to every action you do because the animal is watching and learning from you.

Just like Cesar does, though with larger dogs and more aggressive dogs you might have to be a bit more assertive than even he is, Cesar is only verbally assertive. Large and aggressive dogs take a physically assertive person, more than likely a male not a female, to befriend them and bring them down from their little grudge with everything. Sometimes they will never become calm but most usually do, they just have to sort of get "settled" into their environment. When a dog is in constant incarceration or abuse, of course it is going to be angry and prone to attack things. It's really very simple and this doesn't apply to any specific breed or species.

Why people think banning pit bulls will solve any problems with dog bites I don't know. Perhaps they need to concentrate more on providing their neighbors and fellow citizens with education and care than they do with complaining and spiting against people and things.

Maybe we need to make a distinction here, animals are pretty much the same as people minus the technical ability. A dog is more prone to going crazy because dogs aren't regarded in the same light as people so they reflect the way they are treated. Many, many people just treat dogs like complete # and we wonder why once in a blue moon a dog bites someone. Think about that for a second, what if you were a dog and went through such suffering?

Secondly, some people completely neglect their dogs. You can't have a large, attention happy, energetic dog like a pit bull and completely neglect it. People use their dogs as a status symbol and pay it no attention at all unless other people are around, this makes the dog extremely jealous. The only attention the dog gets is negative attention when it goes rummaging for food in the trash, it gets absolutely no love. Whenever the dog has to be fed or taken to the bathroom it is a chore, etc and the dog gets yelled and complained at. If catholic school ever taught anyone anything it is that telling something that every stupid little thing is bad can have quite a traumatic mental effect. The dog is not disciplined, its basically just treated like # its entire life.

The dog is completely incapable of understanding idiot human thought and what might motivate someone to seem to hate it so. Rightly so, the dog will see the human as weak, the dog can't talk but if it could it probably be angry. A lot of people basically buy dogs like pit bulls to hide behind them, they have no intention of caring for or teaching the dog anything.

A dog is not an object, it is a living thing just like a child. It can't be banned or neglected.

So one day on a bad day the dog up and does something crazy, this happens only a small number of times through decades in and ENTIRE COUNTRY, the United States. Much, much less than the ratio of people who flip out and do equally insane or worse things, people beat their wives, kill people, deceive, steal and do all a number of hateful things. Yet every time a pit bull does something it is widely published in kind of what is the equivalent of a 21st century salem witch trial.

Can you really #ing blame it on the dog? Dogs are much the same as people and when you get hurt by a family member it hurts all that much more. They truly are mans best friend and since we created them, it is our responsibility to care for and teach them. Therefore, it is the owners responsibility to teach the dog he/she is superior and to take liability for the dogs actions, lack of training and care.

If not, its the persons fault. Pit bulls are really no different than any other dog or human.
edit on 19-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant

31 people were killed in dog attacks in the USA in 2011.

22 of them were exclusively by pit bulls, the other nine were among other various breeds.

Should pitbulls be allowed as pets whether with or without "permits"?

What if someone's pit bull gets away while your walking your baby one day in his/her carriage, and it mauls your baby to death maybe in as little as one lethal bite to neck before you can do anything, how will you feel and how will justice be served?

Why don't we ban Americans, they have killed a lot more kids than pitbulls.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrjefffort
When you say banned do you mean round up all these animals and Euthanize them because if thats the case i strongly disagree.

I think most of us know as with most bans if you have one as a pet before the ban, you would be allowed to register it under the grandfather clause for the rest of its life.

The problem is PIT BULLS are the most abused and over-bred and the most fatal dog type in America.

To allow people to be breeding a killing/fighting dog type as a "pet" and making $$$ off puppies and fights and intimidating muggings on the streets throughout our country, is very negligent.

There's lots of MONEY, POPULARITY, ATTENTION, INTIMIDATION, CRIME, CRUELTY, FATALITY, and OVERBREEDING in PIT BULLS. The more there are over-bred, the more will suffer - both people and pit bulls.

When in the end, most of these dogs end up mauling some one and then abandoned, more than any other dog type/breed.

edit on 19-2-2012 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The idiots who owned this animal should be drug out into the street and shot for being so damned stupid. You can't tell me that these morons didn't mistreat that dog. The dog saw yet another human who would grow up to mistreat it, and acted out in its own way. Now a dog will be killed, and those pieces of breeding trash will continue to make more runts that will continue the line of ignorance, cruelty, and be a drain on an already taxed economy. Prospective owners of pit bulls should be reviewed, then granted licence to own such animals, just as all should be reviewed and then granted licence to have children.
I own a Pit puppy who's bloodline comes from reputable breeders and loving families. Dogs that show any, ANY aggression are rejected. My Dancer is mellow, quiet, happy, and loving. I've seen meaner teddy bears! Yes, if someone was stupid enough to come into my house and threaten my family, she'd shred them, I'm sure of it. No, she will not turn on her pack. That isn't because she is afraid of it, but because she loves it. That dog was afraid from the word go, and when it saw an opportunity, it took it.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Yea so we'll just kill them off, and the next dog will take its place. The problem isn't the dogs, its the humans.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
The idiots who owned this animal should be drug out into the street and shot for being so damned stupid. You can't tell me that these morons didn't mistreat that dog. The dog saw yet another human who would grow up to mistreat it, and acted out in its own way. Now a dog will be killed, and those pieces of breeding trash will continue to make more runts that will continue the line of ignorance, cruelty, and be a drain on an already taxed economy. Prospective owners of pit bulls should be reviewed, then granted licence to own such animals, just as all should be reviewed and then granted licence to have children.
I own a Pit puppy who's bloodline comes from reputable breeders and loving families. Dogs that show any, ANY aggression are rejected. My Dancer is mellow, quiet, happy, and loving. I've seen meaner teddy bears! Yes, if someone was stupid enough to come into my house and threaten my family, she'd shred them, I'm sure of it. No, she will not turn on her pack. That isn't because she is afraid of it, but because she loves it. That dog was afraid from the word go, and when it saw an opportunity, it took it.

I 100% agree. There should be a granted licence and review for owning any pet, and especially to have children.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

maybe people shouldnt be so stupid, and have a strong mean dog when they have such a delicate baby. You shouldnt ban the dog, but perhaps make sure those who own them have control. they should have kept their baby far away from a trained, bread, ferocious dog. Deny Ignorance,

to the post above me... NO! I dont need permission to own a pet. get out of here.. thats absurd.

part of your freedom to pursue happiness, means you can be kind to animals, and try to have a family. no one can deny you having children, no one can deny you having a companion in a pet. no one has the right to take that away from anyone. and if you think thats the case, you're wrong.

edit on 19-2-2012 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If you completely ban pits, then rotties will be next as they will be the new "I want a badass breed" type of dog who will get owned by dumb owners and attack and kill kids. After rotties, dobies, after dobies then german shepherds. Its how the dogs are raised and how they are kept. The family should have never had a dog around a baby around any dog by itself. They should get arrested for child neglect.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hey, another pit thread. Same as always, filled with ignorant small minded "the government should stay out of my business unless I don't like something" people. I personally have owned 6 (3 currently) and they're the best dogs I've ever owned. I won't bother with another breed with rare exceptions (I fostered a Shepard who was more intelligent than a lot of people and had a Tosa Inu, yet another "horrible, ferocious fighting" breed that's 220 pounds of giant stuffed animal).

People get hit by cars pretty frequently, let's ban them too. My 145lb Bully Pit is certainly less dangerous than heavy traffic. I'll never forget my landlord, a sheltered, clueless guy cower in the kitchen doorway when my 45lb pit named Koosh tried to say hi to him.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Don't get me wrong in no way did i want the dog destroyed or hurt. I am still not not afraid of pets ether.
5 secs is all it took by the time i reacted it was to late its canines were firmly attached to my side i could hear my ribs crack, and the blood gushing, 5 secs is all it took most the damage was in the first 2.

But that aside i wrote to the local council about the safety of pets with in the park and about 3 weeks later they had a area fenced off just for pets "pet playground" it is a huge hit still today. Since then has not been one pet attack with in the park area.

My wife and children are the best companions ill will ever need
"nice wife points there"

Ether way just saying it can and does happen.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
"Rescued" Pit Bull Kills Owner's Horse..

Pit Bull Kills 2yo!

Pit Bull Mauls 5yo, 1000 Stitches!

Pit Bulls CHEW DOWN A FENCE then Maul Neighbor's Dogs!

edit on 19-2-2012 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Thanks for the propaganda and fear.
edit on 19-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

AHAHAHAHAHA agenda much? Go get a pit. The only breed you'll ever own again.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Bottom line here is, I cannot convince the anti dog people and the anti dog people cannot skew my experience.
So this all boils down to arguing on the internet, and we all know what that means...
Ima jump ship on this thread and devote the time allocated to scratchin my buddies behind the ears, good day all!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I have done a lot of work AGAINST pit bull bans. Because of my research in law school, a major city in the USA decided NOT to have a pit bull ban.

1st of all, a lot of times, the dogs aren't even pit bulls - whatever that is. "Pit bulls" can be American Staffordshire Terriers or Bull terriers, or even other breeds that look like pits. A lot of times, the media just says "pit bull," b/c they don't know any better.

Anyway, all the pits I've ever known have been more likely to lick someone to death than bite them. Pits are very sweet. Almost all of the dogs that were in the Michael Vick dog-fighting ring were rehabilitated & went to good homes. One dog even became a therapy dog.

Finally, pit bull bans violate people's 5th Amendment rights. The govt can't deprive people of property w/out just compensation.

Punish the deed, not the breed.
edit on 19-2-2012 by someotherguy because: police states ban breeds

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join