It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Angry Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop [Posts on Facebook]

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by getreadyalready

You can send me all your old laptops. I want to make a bullet proof vest out of them.

It might work! And, if you turn on the little cams, even if it doesn't stop the bullets, at least it will capture evidence for your attackers.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

In a way, you're giving too much credit to her. Teenage minds are not well formed. In fact, studies show this to be true. Sometimes tough love is the only way to solve these kinds of problems.

In the perfect world we could all sit down and settle everything by being reasonable.

But when you become a parent you learn (sometimes the hard way) that it doesn't always work. You do everything you can to talk to them and create a open atmosphere, but it still fails. Think about that. This man in the video has fathered his daughter for many years. He has tried hard. For her to betray and disrespect him like this caused a lot of anger. The anger probably caused him to do what he did.
edit on 10-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

reply to post by BohemianBrim

But you're probably all 45 year old "Appalachian peoples"

edit on 10-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

So you are saying what exactly?

My Dad is from the blue ridge mountains in North Carolina. Has a masters in mechanical engineering and has played his part in the construction of 2 nuclear reactors. He grows most of his own food and combat veteran. He is also a damn good shot even at 80 years old.

So what you are really saying is in spite of the perceived notion that hillbillies are uneducated buffoons is false.

Using Stereotypes to attempt fortify your argument demonstrates your lack of intellect.

It must be a liberal thing.... I wouldn't understand.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
As a parent: It is a good idea to put yourself in time out, until you recover from shock and anger, before you decide a punishment.

Seriously, Where are everyone's manners these days? Putting the computer in time out, or taking the lithium battery out would have been a better idea than shooting the computer. Imposing a deliberate financial set back is irrational. Hannah should pay her Dad back for the $130.00USD. However, he shouldn't have deliberately destroyed her laptop. That just teaches children to react in anger and violence to bad gossip. I have two teenage boys, and they are very good honor student kids. They still come up with ideas that annoy me. I turn to the internet and books for how to behave and raise responsible smart young men. Patience, courage, and lots of Love are required. Our society is a very challenging place these days. It is more difficult to decide what is appropriate good manners. I tell my kids never post anything negative about your family or friends on facebook, always keep it happy and light. That is not the place to air your dirty laundry to the public at large. Always praise and complement your child when they do something special or for you. Teach with positive reward system. Best wishes to all with their teenagers.
edit on 10-2-2012 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The guy is free to parent his children how he wants, but this wouldn't be my choice if the kids respected me in the first place.

I think respect is earned, not forced. If the child is disrespecting you, there must be a reason. Then again, I don't have children and am expecting mine to be reasonable. They may or may not be.

I've seen plenty of parenting styles. Some parents are a mismatch for their kids, and never learn to adapt. Some have a perfect match, and respect is always there.

My mom tried to force me into respecting her, but this violated my cardinal rule of not forcing me to do something against my will. It's not that I wanted to be "out of control", I just reasoned that respect in any relationship was a mutual deal, and if anyone (including authority) wanted me to do something, they had to simply give me a reason in a decent tone, and if it made sense to me, I'd of course follow. If it didn't make sense, I'd state my case and wait for additional reasoning. Paps was way cool. He knew I was able to take care of myself from a young age, and let me do my own thing.

So basically, if my kids are anything like how I am, then I'll just respect them and try to teach them in a loving way. I'll respect their opinion, and ultimate choice in their good reasoning, but will wish they hear me out in full. If they're not like me, ... I'll have to learn to adapt. May have to take on some of my mothers harsh dictatorial teaching styles

It really just depends. I don't think this guy is in the right or wrong, he was just doing what he thought/felt was best for his children. It's really no business of my own to judge his current technique. If it works, and other more peaceful options have already been tried...so be it! Just sucks that he paid good money for that, and now it's gone to waste. Maybe he could have just put it on ebay, and taken a video of him packaging it up, or something. He did, though, make a direct statement to her, and backed it up. Maybe he should have chosen his words a little more wisely, lol!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Actually, I'm not liberal at all.

And Appalachian peoples meant that they're usually cocky bastards, nothing to do with education.

lol@ getting offended by the term Appalachian peoples...soooo politically correct huh? Ahhh you must be liberal.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Actually, you need to also bill her for the electricity that was used during her use of the laptop. It had probably been going for some while so I'm sure that would come to a hefty sum too.

Most teens (if not all) are in debt. Parents invest a lot of money and love into them.

Point is, this man bought the laptop and furnished it and can perfectly well shoot it if he wants.
edit on 10-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

reply to post by SWCCFAN

Ahhh you must be liberal.

Yeah ... ya got me... I'm a liberal ....

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

He isn't really the sharpest tool in the drawer is he ?

I mean .. how's she supposed to watch the Youtube clip without Notebook

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
reply to post by sbctinfantry

He isn't really the sharpest tool in the drawer is he ?

I mean .. how's she supposed to watch the Youtube clip without Notebook

Considering it has almost 2 million hits, and close to 12,000 shares on facebook...I think she's seen it from her friends.....

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
WOW! what a response! BRAVO Dad! Sounds like she badly needed a reality check!
I have been in a similar situation with one of my kids. Miss 14 thought it would be alright to set up a fake FB account, because her mother and I wouldn't let her have one just yet. We wanted to see some maturity and respect displayed (not a huge task). I just wish I had the forethought to take my daughters laptop apart with a cricket bat! I did toy with the idea of posting on her wall "BUSTED" lol.
I know some people are a little put off by this dad's handling of the situation, but sometimes extreme measures need to be taken to get through to people. I'm in no way condoning violence against people. A good shock, such as shooting the laptop, might be just what is needed to get through to her. Not to mention we don't know the full story. We only get to see the disrespectful post and the video reply. We don't know the full situation of their home life.
What we do get to know from this is that the daughter hurt her parents an awful lot, and this parent did something to display his outrage that will hopefully get his daughters attention.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I throw away the muffin off my egg mcmuffin every morning. I think about the starving kids in Africa every time I do it, but I don't know their address, and I don't think you can mail a muffin anyway.

hows that working out for ya?

eating breakfast at mickey d's every morning.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

I pretty much just eat the egg and some black coffee.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Keeps him "regulated" if you know what I mean

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't even have kids, and I say the Dad is absolutely right.

I guarantee everyone who agrees with him have kids of their own, and those who are squawking about how bad he is do not. Most of them either are teenagers themselves, or have been raised by the PC affirmative nanny state govt teat.

Someone posted he had smashed his daughter's stereo when she kept complaining about him telling her to turn it down. Another guy said he smashed his son's PS3 when he was caught shoplifting. Both of those are completely normal things to do, and correct. Hell, I threw my girlfriend's stereo (that I had bought her) in the pool one time because she wouldn't stop blasting it in the middle of the night. These are known as types of punishment. This is no different.

Teens with no money are the ones saying shooting a laptop instead of just taking the battery out is crazy, only an idiot would do that. He bought the dam thing, he can smash it if he wants to. She used it to write that incredibly disrespectful diatribe about him. And he warned her he would do it, and he kept his word.

When I was a kid, if we were skipping school to go drink beer down at the beach or whatever, the school knew my Dad was an ex-cop and would call him. He was always the one who would come bust us, and he would read us all the riot act of course. Man, he would embarrass me in front of my friends. Waaah. I mean HUMILIATE me! What a monster. How is this different? I hated it at the time, but he was absolutely right of course, and in fact much better than most of my buddies' parents. That's why the school would call him. Most of the other ones would just not care, the kids wouldn't even get in trouble. That's what you get with a load of spoiled rich kids.

This guy just never expected the video to go viral like this. Do you think 50 million people view YOUR facebook wall? He just wanted her friends to see it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

mind yourself.
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I feel that this g-g-guy has the p-p-p-potencial to be-be-become a m-m-m-meme...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

From your link.

the FDA issued a company-wide warning letter to Sparboe Farms, the country's fifth largest egg producer.

It is probably next to impossible to avoid the shady practices of these large scale operations. I stopped eating the McD beef a few weeks ago, it just become so nasty tasting, my body didn't want it anymore. The same with Taco Bell, after my wife discovered it wasn't Gluten Free. How can beef not be Gluten Free? Well, their beef is only 88% beef.

I really don't go to McD's every day, usually once or twice per week when I'm running late. The stuff we have at home is all organic, but I don't even trust that anymore. You almost have to make it yourself. I need to get some chickens.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Lots of Gang bangers too,mostly looking for confrontations.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
OK.

So we got an angry dad.

We got a Gun.

We got a child.

We got Facebook.

All thats missing is somebody getting killed.

www.pcmag.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join