It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Talks Constitution, Claims S.Afica's Constitution Better

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Amazing. A Supreme Court Justice putting down the U.S. Constitution. Claiming the S. African Constitution is a better model. Other European Constitutions are better than the U.S. Constitution....

Remove this traitor from the bench, I say.

Appearing on Egyptian television before concluding a four-day trip in Egypt, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg extolled the virtues of the U.S. Constitution but urged Egyptians to look to other countries' newer constitutions for guidance as they craft their own in the coming months.

So, here she is traveling all over the world saying things like this....talk about mixed signals....

Yet while Ginsburg's interview, posted on YouTube on Wednesday, lauded the Founding Fathers' "grand general ideas that become more effective over the course of ... more than two sometimes-turbulent centuries," she also said she "would not look to the United States Constitution if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012,"

Since World War II several other models have emerged that offer more specific and contemporary guarantees of rights and liberties, she said, pointing to South Africa's constitution, which she called a "really great piece of work" for its embrace of basic human rights and guarantee of an independent judiciary. She also noted Canada's charter of rights and freedoms and the European Convention of Human Rights.

"Why not take advantage of what there is elsewhere in the world? I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others," she said. www.huffingtonpost.com...

Our Founding Fathers would turn over in their graves.....

Des

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'm against redoing the Constitution simply because they would probably leave out most of the protections we have in it. What little good they do, and however much they've been eroded, it's better than what we'd have if it was redone.

You'd probably have some clause where the poor have to work as slave labor for corporations or something like that.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I just don't understand how Ginsburg has the right to tell other nations to disregard our Constitution, when she, herself has been appointed to a powerful position to uphold the U.S.Constitution. Conflict of interest comes to mind.

An impeachable offense I think...

Des

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a SCOTUS is sworn to uphold the constitution, to rule according to its literal definition

This does not mean they cannot have an outside opinion. If they do their job, then thats all that is required.
I can be a policeman and also think off duty that some laws are stupid. So long as I do my job, then its all good.

By her talking about other nations constitutions, while being a justice for america, she actually gives her words and influence far more credibility overseas and will not be passed off as just another american propagandist with nothing of value to say.

Traitor...anyone whom suggests other countrys have good stuff to offer also = traitor?
pretty black and white (for us or for t3h turr-ists) mindset you got there...wonder who programmed you.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Des

You can be impeached for having different personal opinions?

What country are you living in again? sorry...just assumed you were in the united states...shouldn't assume anything

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I agree, she is allowed to say if she thinks another nation's constitution seems fairer or a better model in her opinion. It's freedom of speech and it's upheld by our own constitution.

You wanting to impeach her is called suppression of free speech

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

I agree, she is allowed to say if she thinks another nation's constitution seems fairer or a better model in her opinion. It's freedom of speech and it's upheld by our own constitution.

So...thread over then?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Des

What country are you living in again? sorry...just assumed you were in the united states...shouldn't assume anything

What you are missing...she is an appointed Supreme Court Justice to the United States of America. She makes vital decisions on Constitutional issues...

Her, representing herself, as a spokesperson for this Administration, is in conflict with her Judicial duties.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

So...thread over then?

Only if you think your opinion is set in stone for everyone....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Unbelievable.

She should be fired immediately.

But then again, Obama would put another judge who hates the constitution so it doesn't really matter.

There's a need for a complete overhaul of the government. 99.9% of them are traitors to the values in the constitution and the freedoms in the bill of rights.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Unbelievable.

But then again, Obama would put another judge who hates the constitution so it doesn't really matter.

There's a need for a complete overhaul of the government. 99.9% of them are traitors to the values in the constitution and the freedoms in the bill of rights.

Ginsburg has been elevated to the position of influencing other Nations in how they view the U.S.

This is not her role as a Supreme Court Justice.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Des

What you are missing...she is an appointed Supreme Court Justice to the United States of America. She makes vital decisions on Constitutional issues...

Her, representing herself, as a spokesperson for this Administration, is in conflict with her Judicial duties.

as a spokesperson for herself, not the administration

now, lets dig a bit deeper as to why she wouldn't recommend just adopting the american constitution for egypt...

she also said she "would not look to the United States Constitution if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012," given its original exclusion of women, slaves and Native Americans.

You know...she is right..what, you pro-slavery? pro-exclusion of women? etc...

point is..well, 2 points
1) she was not on some offical by the administration hype conference to try and make Egypt as the 51st state..they were chatting to her about her opinion personally based on her work.
2) she is right...the constitution, pre amendments, was woefully inadaquate. if you are in a different country trying to make a constitution today, you don't just grab any single nations constitution and adopt that in full...you shop around, and tailor make one based on what is out there currently..trying to put forth the wisdom and remove the older oversights that needed amending later on.

This does not effect her job. someone asked her opinion (and not the offical opinion of the united states)..she gave her personal opinion.
not seeing the issue here.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Unbelievable.

Fire anyone with an opinion!
Damn straight.
to hell with context, facts, and logic...we can tailor make soundbites to make it seem she is all but rebelling against the constitution.
Feelings trump reality!

Here is the most damning part:

"Why not take advantage of what there is elsewhere in the world? I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others," she said.

Listening?!?! LISTENING?!?! WTH, who suggests listening and learning except for some pinko commie!

You must have your opinions be pro-merica 100% of the time with no exceptions..all this talk of listening, learning, opinions..next she is going to say she believes in the power of the people or something!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Guess you forgot to read that little word *original* in her quote. Funny how you like to omit little things like that.

The U.S, Constitution has been amended to what it is now. Get a grip....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Guess you forgot to read that little word *original* in her quote. Funny how you like to omit little things like that.

The U.S, Constitution has been amended to what it is now. Get a grip....

So, your saying that slavery and anti-woman rights is still part of our constitution then?
She addresses quite clearly why the constitution probably shouldn't be lock, stock, and barrel adopted by egypt, but rather they should look around...
Amendments to the constitution eventually remapped the initial flaws in the document..and still does.

the south african constitution may actually be more in line with egypts overall theme. you cannot say one size fits all no matter how old, new, or different a nation is.
American constitution works great in America
American constitution would more than likely be a disaster in a new egypt that has such radical views with one another. our constitution has a very minor blurb about religion (freedom from religion)...whereas the SA constitution has a considerable amount more on limits. the people of egypt are still murdering one another out of religious ideals that slightly differ from one another.

If she simply went on and said everyone on earth should adopt the american constitution as their own, and all the amendments...it would be very patriotic of her, and also make her potentially the dumbest person on earth.

Her opinion is her own. She does her job to the letter, she speaks her mind when asked her opinion, and thats all that matters.
If you work for coke, and someone asks you what they should drink with a fine steak, do you have to say coke even when off the job: do you get fired for suggesting they consider a fine red wine?

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Only in america you say?
Well perhaps thats a good thing......

The woman has a point, she has a duty to advise these people conscientiously....
Its their constitution and they can take their model from the best of the best of all the preceeding constitutions ....
Better they do it now, than fight for more rights later...we all know how that usually goes.....

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Unbelievable.

Yep, that's what she said - she hates the constitution. Oh and "kill the traitors" is the mindset of an oppressed dictatorship, not this country.

I really hope you're as young as you sound
edit on 6-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

She's a supreme court judge. She doesn't get to have an opinion. Sorry.

If she doesn't like the constitution which she's supposed to defend, well then she should be fired.

This is no ordinary person you are a talking about, she's a SCOTUS JUDGE.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Because she has the right to offer her opinion on the subject. That anyone can watch the video of this interview and find anything objectionable is astonishing. I could see if she were out saying OMG this thing is the most horrid, wretched pile of garbage ever written. And your title leads people to believe exactly that.

The fact that she can point out that other more modern Constitutions do somethings better than our own is something that should be lauded, The fact she understands that Egypt doesn't need to worry about trying to figure out how to unify for all intents and purposes a collection of lesser nations into one is another. I love how people always like to go the Founding Fathers would be rolling around in their graves, when someone questions the Constitution. The fact is of them one made it a crime to speak against his administration, a crime punishable with prison. Add to that another that did more to expand Executive power than any other.

They weren't saints, they weren't perfect, they were men. Men that understood their work wasn't perfect and would need to change as American society changed. They could have never imagined the world we live in today. The best we can do is to take what we know of them and create the world we think they would have wanted for us.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Well, I hope you like the world Obama is creating....he doesn't think much of our Constitution either...hence Ginsburg sent on missions, her position on the Supreme Court negates...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join