It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We ALL Agree the GM Chevy Volt is a Flop?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
Chevy Volt = disaster

Solyndra = disaster

Money down the drain.

I noticed you are now leaving out the Nissan Leaf.
I mean Bollins also slammed them as well.

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Battery tech is already here, didn't you see my post.
What is missing is the will to make vehicles that will eliminate big business dominance of industry.
Small lightweight vehicles will not need giant corps to manufacture. Will not need big business to power.
The oil industry and the automobile industry see their demise in the electric automobile.

We have had the technology available to us for environmentally friendlier transportation but AGAIN corporate greed [Big Oil] killed that. Anybody reading this remember the EV-1? Now it's a museum piece. Sure, there are vehicles on the market these days. However we could have had a major jump start had it's development and sales continued.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e4e1db8e5c6.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a1a82ed0261.jpg[/atsimg]

The General Motors EV1 was an electric car produced and leased by the General Motors Corporation from 1996 to 1999. It was the first mass-produced and purpose-designed electric vehicle of the modern era from a major automaker,

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Putting more vehicles on the road will bring down prices.

And the batteries aren't that expensive, and the prices are dropping rapidly. See the links I have already provided.

Personally, I don't think the price is justified. Gotta wonder how much of GMs stock is controlled by big oil.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hey, the EV1 is in a museum. Great!

Put the Chevy Volt right next to it.

Chevy Volt = Edsel

---------
The Nissan Leaf is a better solution but if we are patient the range will increase

to 200 miles per charge. Why do you have ants in your pants?

Buy the cheaper, faster and safer 2012 Honda Accord instead.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Electric vehicles aren't the problem, it's the companies that make them and the government who doesn't want to lose any cash. Electric vehicles aren't anything new. They've been around (somewhat successfully) since the late 90's. The Leaf is a great car, as is the Prius. I drive something with two wheels, but if I were to drive a car it'd be one of the two mentioned.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The Nissan Leaf is a better solution but if we are patient the range will increase

Chevy Volt = Edsel

OK the conspiracist in me has to ask.

So Chevy Volt equals a Ford dud.

Two American brand named cars.

Bollins slams the Nissan Leaf for the same thing yet you have no issues with it then further advocate a Honda. Now, two Japanese cars are ok in your opinion but, two American brand named cars are for the trash heap eh?

Your motive [Or should I day Agenda] is showing?
Or do you simply have issues with American name brand auto manufacturers?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
To put the volt in a museum is short sighted. You have to remember supply and demand.

Do you remember back in the first days of the vcr?
Sony put out the first consumer version. It was x1 and no timer.
Demand was high and then came the vhs. It had x2 and built in timer. demand was higher.
Then came x3 and viewable pause and ff.

If there is no demand for batteries then battery tech will not improve. So the volt is merely a stepping stone to better things to come.

As to the comment about putting two cheap electric motorcycles together to make a cheap electric car:
That's fine and good until you get T boned.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Chevy Volt = Edsel

OK the conspiracist in me has to ask.

So Chevy Volt equals a Ford dud.

Two American brand named cars.

Bollins slams the Nissan Leaf for the same thing yet you have no issues with it then further advocate a Honda. Now, two Japanese cars are ok in your opinion but, two American brand named cars are for the trash heap eh?

Your motive [Or should I day Agenda] is showing?
Or do you simply have issues with American name brand auto manufacturers?

Go to Consumer Reports.

You will get better reliability with Toyota or Honda than GM.

Consumer Reports = No Spin Zone

I also love the leather interior Honda puts in its cars!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Electric vehicles aren't the problem, it's the companies that make them and the government who doesn't want to lose any cash. Electric vehicles aren't anything new. They've been around (somewhat successfully) since the late 90's. The Leaf is a great car, as is the Prius. I drive something with two wheels, but if I were to drive a car it'd be one of the two mentioned.

It's too much of a hassle for Americans to plug in their electric cars everyday.

Try again in 5 years.

In the meantime enjoy your brand new 2012 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

You will get better reliability with Toyota or Honda than GM.
I also love the leather interior Honda puts in its cars!

In the meantime enjoy your brand new 2012 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry!

In my youth before I developed a healthy sense of morals & ethics...

I too sold cars.

FYI: There is more money to made on the Used Car lot side, Not the New car lot.

I'm out.
PEACE

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

It makes more sense to buy a gas car that gets about 30 MPG.

That sounds like a Honda Accord or Honda Civic.

Both of those cars cost less and when you get home you don't have to bother

plugging it in.

Both Hondas also perform well in crash tests.

But that is the whole point. Plugging it in, makes it possible to save massive amounts of money and simply drive past gas stations for a large part of the population. The purchase price is larger, but when you drive an EV, you save money every day at the pump, and all you have to do is plug it in when you get home.

The idea that 'you don't have to bother plugging it in' is shortsighted and wasteful.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Originally posted by SLAYER69

P.S. I support the troops, Not the wars.

Semper Fi

I support actors and actresses, Not Hollywood.

Wow that makes a lot of senses, doesn't it.

Do the troops get a say in what wars they take part in? Last I checked if you're an actor and you don't agree with a director/movie you can opt to not be a part of it. You made a bad analogy my friend.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
In a few years, when gas is $8.xx a gallon, and rising, electric cars are going to look better than ever.

There won't be any massive SUVs and tractor trailers on the road to run over smaller vehicles, so a couple of motorcycles slapped together will be quite fine.

Four lanes will become eight.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

It's too much of a hassle for Americans to plug in their electric cars everyday

You don't speak for all Americans (luckily).

Why are republicans always against all forms of progress? And yet people are dumb enough to still vote for them??

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
GM has been rewarded with government funds for being a poorly run company. I would not buy any of their crap cars. They will always be losers.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jondave

That makes GM like the rest of the corporate welfare queens.

That is free market economics, reward poorly ran giant corporations for their failures. The banks, the oil companies, insurance companies, they all suck at the gov teat, thanks to Reagan's revolution.

But heck, the auto makers in other countries are also subsidized by their respective governments, and that includes all the stuff comping from China.

So if you buy from some foreign auto maker, you are only kidding yourself about taking some sort of stand against government subsidies.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

In a few years, when gas is $8.xx a gallon, and rising, electric cars are going to look better than ever.

There won't be any massive SUVs and tractor trailers on the road to run over smaller vehicles, so a couple of motorcycles slapped together will be quite fine.

Four lanes will become eight.

Yes, that's the dream scenario for the liberals. Make gas $10 a gallon and - FORCE - Americans

to buy an electric car that nobody wants.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaa2500

It makes more sense to buy a gas car that gets about 30 MPG.

That sounds like a Honda Accord or Honda Civic.

Both of those cars cost less and when you get home you don't have to bother

plugging it in.

Both Hondas also perform well in crash tests.

But that is the whole point. Plugging it in, makes it possible to save massive amounts of money and simply drive past gas stations for a large part of the population. The purchase price is larger, but when you drive an EV, you save money every day at the pump, and all you have to do is plug it in when you get home.

The idea that 'you don't have to bother plugging it in' is shortsighted and wasteful.

Plugging in your electric car sounds so clean.

But wait! OMG! Over half of the power generators that power the grid are OMG!!! coal-fired

power plants! Your wonderful electric car is running on coal.

edit on 7-2-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Modern oil well tech has managed to keep oil production at an even level since world oil peak in 2008, by producing lower and lower grades of crude, but that is only delaying the inevitable, and in a short few years, world oil production is going to run off a cliff, and all those giant SUVs will become worthless.

We will all be forced to move out of suburbia to the countryside, where people will charge their electric vehicles with their own private windmills.

It is not a liberal dream, it is the looming reality.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Wait 5 years and try again. Right now you're trying to dream up Solyndra 2.0.

Looks great on paper but OMG it's a disaster with bankruptcy written all over it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Plugging in your electric car sounds so clean.

But wait! OMG! Over half of the power generators that power the grid are OMG!!! coal-fired

power plants! Your wonderful electric car is running on coal.

Coal fired power plants are close to 40 percent efficient
Natural gas power plants are close to 50 percent efficient
Combined cycle power plants are close to 60 percent efficient

The objective is not to initially completely phase out coal, but to concentrate energy production at big powerstations that are more efficient than the onboard gasoline engine and where it is easier to clean the exhaust.

By creating the infrastructure, it will be easy and simple to change to solar, wind, geothermal, waste incineration or bio-mass. Simply stop building coal power plants and start bulding other types.

edit on 10-2-2012 by aaa2500 because: improved grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join