It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That was then this is now. Earth pics.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by emaildogs

They're both real NASA photos. the first was taken with the Terra satellite, and the second was with the Suomi NPP satellite VIIRS imaging system. The images are compiled to create an image of the Earth so it's not 100% to scale

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
You should see how resplendent that view was in the 1800's .

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
It could be that it was winter vs summer in those photographs....

If not, then I guess we can see her dying.

Edit...

The rest beat me to it...
Kinda cool to know we were all typing on our keyboards at the same time...
edit on 31-1-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

Its not the greenery or even the angle of the photo. Try to match the shape of the Gulf of Mexico up. They're different and the zone between North and South America is elongated.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
winter....

unless its from the future

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
reply to post by Brenidi14

eh? What the heck you talking about? Them pics you can get at NASA's own website.

Erm, actually what are you talking about?

I was replying to the OP, he didn't said he found the pictures on the NASA website. He claims to have found them by, I'll quote him: "going through some old files and found a 2004 pic of the Earth and thought I would post it along with a 2012"

And second, I am talking about this same comparison and pictures, being sent as a spam e-mail to many people, so it was not something OP just found out by going through "some old files"
edit on 31-1-2012 by Brenidi14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

Your photo is of the US in the northern hemisphere and the first photo could have been taken during the summer while the second was taken during the winter. Notice in the second pic the green is still in the southern states and along the eastern seaboard due to the gulf stream warming the coast. I think you have different seasons here is all.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by r3axion
If it was taken in 2012 it's obviously winter....AKA no green plants...

Arkkkkk not this winter. I have bulb plants that should be up in Mar ready to bloom now. I have a green lawn. Winter passed on us this year.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brenidi14

Originally posted by sean
reply to post by Brenidi14

eh? What the heck you talking about? Them pics you can get at NASA's own website.

Erm, actually what are you talking about?

I was replying to the OP, he didn't said he found the pictures on the NASA website. He claims to have found them by, I'll quote him: "going through some old files and found a 2004 pic of the Earth and thought I would post it along with a 2012"

And second, I am talking about this same comparison and pictures, being sent as a spam e-mail to many people, so it was not something OP just found out by going through "some old files"
edit on 31-1-2012 by Brenidi14 because: (no reason given)

Not sure where you are going with this, but I will try to clear it up. First off I am the OP. I had a hard time figuring out why the photo's wouldn't post on ATS. It was kind of trivial since /img wasn't working. I didn't know ATS changed the way pics are posted. I would of linked them directly. So I uploaded both pics to photo bucket. The first picture 2004 I happen to have, I think I was using it as a desktop background picture at one time or another. I put it on photo bucket along with the recent 2012 one so I could post it on ATS.

Now for the part about the spam e-mail you mentioned, I have no idea what that is about. I assure you it never came from me! I have nothing to do with that. It does sound strange though you would receive something like that, but it's just a coincidence??
Maybe you can elaborate more on it, like date you got it from whom you got it from? It does sound interesting. You're welcome to message me privately on here further about it if you'd like. Maybe ATS sent it in a automated news update? Other then that I am clueless.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Yeah the first picture is probably nearing fall I think so things would still be greener. That 2012 picture though sure is concerning, as I am not sure what NASA did to it. They claim it was the best picture yet.
I was mainly concerned of the way it looked, all dry and less evergreen forests since they are year round you know? Now all we need is a spring picture of the Earth in the same spot.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

3MB MODIS image captured in November 2011.

Baja California MODIS page

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by r3axion
If it was taken in 2012 it's obviously winter....AKA no green plants...

Arkkkkk not this winter. I have bulb plants that should be up in Mar ready to bloom now. I have a green lawn. Winter passed on us this year.

Where are you at? I'm in Chicago. Some days it's warm but for the most part we've had snow all of this month

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join