It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you ever take a wrong turn..? The most dangerous neighbourhoods in the US.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
For some time now I try to understand where all this civil unrest and violence is coming from. At the same time I wonder if it will ever disappear from society.

There is a place in the US where the chance of becoming the victim of a crime is 1:1. ...statisticly in one year.

Could there be the possibillity that dangerous parts of town are created and sustained by the people in power? I mean, why would anyone stay in a dangerous neighbourhood or decide to make it their home?

Is it rule of tumb that poor people will accommodate such places and cause a neighbourhood to become violent and dangerous? Sound like an obvious question, but is it?

Anyways HERE is a link mentioning the 1 in 1 chance of being mugged, having your car stolen or having your laptop ripped off within a year. There are other links on this site for some more information.

Anybody took a wrong turn and want to share the experiance?

edit on 30/1/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is what they have to say about the neighborhood I grew up in LINK. Needless to say if I turned any direction it only got better.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Great! Now I know where to set up my vigilante headquarters. Sometime I don't know why I even bother putting on my mask and cape around here...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I have taken wrong turns before and what I do is stop and ask directions. Maybe it's just dumb luck but I have found people are more than willing to tell you how to go away and leave them alone.
So called 'poor' neighborhoods are not all filled with bad people.
IMO if you want evil people from the core out then look to the rich neighborhoods they didn't get rich by sharing or being nice. People get beat up in those neighborhoods too but it is either by henchmen or behind closed doors.

BTW for years I had a contract to do service at Santa Barbra city college in Isla Vista #1 on the list had to arrive early left late never had a problem I could probably live there for years and not ever have one.
edit on 30-1-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
ok im not trying to stereotype people in bad neighbor hoods but lets be realistic for a second, ok. i live outside of detroit spend lot of time around there in my younger day being i drag on society. majority of people in poor areas don't have jobs, because there isn't any, which makes it tough to get a car to get outside of the hood to get find one. our public transport don't take you to far outside the city. so if there isn't jobs and you need to make money you become a criminal to make ends meet, your kids gotta eat right? ive been robbed at gun point, seen people od'ing at partys and they just get dragged into the ally, you could call a ambulance but for what? seen a kid get hit by a car leaving concert took ambulance 45min to get there cops never even showed up. TPTB are turning our inner cities into their model for welfare state. get everyone dependent on welfare and medicare and what other else type of government assistance, who's going to go find a job if they got all that? or atleast a job that requires high school diploma and that records tax's. detroit schools get more government funding per student then alot of schools across the country, and one of the highest drop out rates, yet our schools are broke. don't make sense. soon there wont be any wrong turns to make its just going to be # every where. sorry sorta rant a little. but i know people that moved down their just because their basically is no law. no one going to call the cops and if they did the cops aren't going to show up, so yes it is a breeding ground for unmoral unethical behavior. and its spreading. with the housing market collapsing these drains on society are spreading to a neighbor hood near you. again not trying to stereotype our be racist if anyone takes it that way, i know plenty of respectable minorities that make something of themselves, and probably more whitey's that falling victim to the welfare agenda. im surrounded by failing cities detroit, pontiac, saginaw and flint they all made it on top 20 of this list of most dangerous cities, www.neighborhoodscout.com... see where unions and democrats get you!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I am not an american citizen but live in The Netherlands. Here in Holland the number of inhabitants in the (few) biggest cities do not exceed 1 million, compared to the US we only have villages here. As you can see HERE Amsterdam has the most civilians registrated and most mayor towns will not even pass the 100.000...I mean, the 50.000 mark.

I can understand that poverty instigate crime but not every poor person is or will be a criminal. It is somekind of spiral effect that suck people in bad hoods into crime over time. Starting with the children who see bad things happen and also the (quick) rewards crime can have. For the parents it must be an endless fight to keep their children on the right track. And then there is of course the drug problem which will narrow their path to escape. It is easy to give up any chance for a normal and succesfull life if a struggeling person is confrontated and pounded with missery day in day out. Cities should not grow bigger than one million inhabitans because from a public service point of view it is asking for problems.

I think the government has a big responsibillity here and their way of solving this neighbourhood problem is going nowhere. Here in Holland cooperative building societies made the mistake to house people with simular social status, race in the same hood. I think they did this for oversight and control but did not think about what effect it will have in the long run for some of these places in the city. In some cases these hoods become little countries with their own moral, culture and worse case..... laws.

I think it will help if these public utility housing enterprises would mix these different cultures, race and what not up and keep a close eye on public services and the education of the children. Preventing crime starts with the childrens upbringing..which starts with healthy surroundings for them.

I think you mentioned some interesting and vital points in your comment.

PS..try to avoid a wall of words when you write long replies....it hurts the eyes.

edit on 31/1/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I have been to many cities around the US, the worst areas of the city from my experiance are streets that are named for civil right leaders...like Martin Luther King Blvd. I do avoid those areas as much as I can and Have been in many of them several times, when I made a wrong turn, or was stuck on a one way street.
The biggest thing for me, is to not stop anywhere, just keep going and get out of the area.

I was in Washington DC several years ago. I was checking out the Mall and all the Monuments. I was headed home and made a wrong turn...well it went from a beautiful area to a very bad area...real quick, within a couple of blocks. I just kept going and got out of the area...I know it wasn't a good area....because there were hookers and drug deals in plain sight..doing there thing...and the sun was almost down. I got out of there and made it a point to not go to that area again.

Philly/ Camden NJ are the same way, as is Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Columbus Oh, LA, San Diego, the list goes on and on...in all those cities and so many more..they all fit the about discription of areas to stay out of.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm going to add North Las Vegas to the list!

My stomping grounds!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
They called my neighborhood "Little Beirut".

That should tell you something...............

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

There were lots of Lebanese?

Lebanese are a great bunch.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I wish.

Although we did have a Lebanese owned corner store.

Half my childhood friends are dead,or in prison.

Gangs....Lots of them. I saw real grenades in a trunk........I was 13 at the time.

Saw a house firebombed. Every stolen car in the hood,was parked unfortunately in my parking lot.(need parts?)

You didn't lock your car doors,cause all that got was a broken window.(thieves do check to see if the doors are unlocked)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
I'm going to add North Las Vegas to the list!

My stomping grounds!

Can you tell what to expect there and do you think there is any chance this place will ever be "upgraded"? Has it always been a bad place to be? Is the mayor and his "servants" dealing with the problem in that hood and in which way, if they do?

edit on 1/2/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join