It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark your calendars for June 5th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

On your 2012 calendar, be sure to put a big red circle around June 5. On that day, a celestial occurrence that will not be seen by human eyes until well into the 22nd century — the year 2117 to be exact — will take place.

The planet Venus will cross the face of the sun.

Venus to cross the face of the sun

I'll definately be looking up for this one.

-saige-

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by saige45

Will go through my archives to find my series of pics I took during the last transit in 2004, taken with a home-made solar filter!!!, lol

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Will it look like this?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You know the worst part about this though (shudder to think about it) will be the number of people enamoured with Nibiruitis claiming that Venus *is* Nibiru. And creating threads about it.

I can see it now. *I JUST SAW NIBIRU. It's not a lens flare, it crossed the sun. I swears it did*

YIKES!!!!

-saige-

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by saige45

Here is just one of many. Weird how calm the sun looks without any sunspots on it ... Was taken during lunchtime at work, with a silly little setup

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Nice picture.

-saige-

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by saige45

LOL, can remember me and one of my colleagues being so excited by it. We had telescopes and cameras with lenses all set up at work, and when people came to look, they were like in "Ja, well, no fine", like in "duhhhhhhh" .....

lol, quite a let-down for us, but after all, we chased after eclipses all over Africa, and we were used to the sounds of wonder from bystanders when totality came

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up, calendar marked.

Here is just one of many. Weird how calm the sun looks without any sunspots on it

Nice picture, is the Sun really that calm or your camera can't pick up the turmoil?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Thanks for the heads up, calendar marked.

Here is just one of many. Weird how calm the sun looks without any sunspots on it

Nice picture, is the Sun really that calm or your camera can't pick up the turmoil?

Now the sun isn't that calm, but that was during the low of the solar-cycle, and we had big problems with HF communications

If you look at the sun today you will see a number of sun-spots

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Actually I posted a thread about this very subject in 2010.
Here:
The Transition of Venus over the Sun

Very informative and gives the reader a heads up on where the best viewing will be.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think this occurs every 19 months, a little more than a year and a half.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

That's a silly little set up?!! I'd love to have that kind of gear. Great pic!

Calendar is marked OP. If only to check ATS!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
I think this occurs every 19 months, a little more than a year and a half.

not really no... (And I am sorry I am not giving a nice, long answer, as it is bedtime over here. Almost 2 in the morning, but until I reply in full, the Wiki article will have to do
)

Transits of Venus are among the rarest of predictable astronomical phenomena. They occur in a pattern that repeats every 243 years, with pairs of transits eight years apart separated by long gaps of 121.5 years and 105.5 years. The periodicity is a reflection of the fact that the orbital periods of Earth and Venus are close to 8:13 and 243:395 resonances.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Yeah I didn't consider the orbital tilt from our ecliptic. The orbital time frame of Venus passing between the sun and us is about ever 19 months though. Didn't realize it was so rare.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
THANKS!!!

I am definitely going to have my eyes to the skies!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It's almost here!

www.youtube.com...

Pladuim

new topics

top topics

join