It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Naica Giant Gypsum Crystal Cave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This is an amazing place here and clearly inhospitable to humans

As the initial temperature inside the caves was 60°C and the humidity 100%, a detailed exploration of the caves proved extremely difficult. There is the story about a mine worker, who tried to steal some of the magnificient crystals shortly after the inital discovery, but was overwhelmed by heat, humidity and the low ogygen content of the cave atmosphere, lost consciousness and was found literally cooked ny his fellows some days later...

Now this is what i call a crystal

giantcrystals.strahlen.org...

Some of these babies are up to 12 metres high its such a shame its not really tourist friendly

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

just the tip..

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Amazing place, no doubt about that.
Been posted a couple of times in here.

Here is the Youtube version.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
While those are pretty, calling them "crystals" is bit misleading. If you hit those with a hammer they would shatter, if you put it in our mouth it would taste like salt. They aren't like quartz or a geode. They're slightly malleable.
edit on 22-1-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
A similar structure was discovered many years ago...

Maybe the same place?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Superman better find him a new home before Lex Luther finds out about this.

Awesome Caves=)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
As far as I know these caves have now once again been blocked off and allowed to "refill" with water! So no-one will, probably, ever be able to see them again.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
As far as I know these caves have now once again been blocked off and allowed to "refill" with water! So no-one will, probably, ever be able to see them again.

If thats the case its a shame however i guess they will continue to grow if they originally formed in water,at least they have a pictorial record

top topics

join