It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camping stoves and heat/light packs - Bug Out Bag Stuff

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
This is probably the easiest thing to make and use.

www.campstovewizard.com...

I have something similar in my B.O.B. with a bottle of denatured alcohol for fuel, I also have petroleum jelly and cotton balls for emergency ignition if I have to build a fire without any type of kindling around..

The version here is usually referred to as open-jet. Its working principle is similar to the o-mighty Trangia.

I actually bought a trangia a week ago.

The only thing is it uses methyl hydrate, which is liquid and is a poison, and you can't use it indoors.

And its slow, and it doesn't give off as much heat as these little wonders in a can...

I bought these canned heat at my local mega grocery store but no one carried the little stove. I was going to order it, then I came up with the magic empty 14oz can of tomatoes stove. That I made myself with a can opener and a screw driver and a hammer.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

LOL that's just what's on the kindle. I have ten times more in in hardcopy, of those I could take five of them in a tupperware box and have most of what I need. I do need to add a few Peterson's field manuals in there. I've got an awesome tome on native american ethnobotany but it's pretty sparse on the identification aspect.

And I have a copy of that FM as well as about thirty others on the Kindle.
The SAS book is pretty nice too.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7

Consider this though.
You will not be going outside.

104 nuclear reactors, and that many spent fuel ponds in America.

1000 in the Northern Hemisphere. Fukishima, affected America, and it was across the Pacific ocean.

Drinking water 181 times over the legal limit

What are you expecting?

Nuclear plants don't just crack open like frail eggs!?!?

If it's THAT bad you won't want to live. Sad but true.

I wanted to add that there are many GREAT suggestions on this thread that I hadn't considered!!!

My contribution is (and always has been) more and more people posting about small electronics.

Yeah, get hard copy of "Where There Is No Doctor/Dentist" make multiple copies/quick reference guides.

Also, I expect if you live through SHTF, specially with kids, you will need "encyclopedia" of knowledge

AND entertainment. Of course if you have just one teenager you are covered.

The rest of us should be creating a compact, impact proof, EMP proof, rechargeable "knowledgebase"

collection. You WILL need entertainment. Unless you are scavenging in arctic regions 24/7 for sustenance...

there will be down time. You'll need nighttime stories, videos, classic literature, group-type games,

most definitely reference materials, teaching materials.

This is just the suggestion. Research it. Create it. Keep it safe as anything else! Replace batteries regular.

I just pray that we don't need these items. Please be prepared and keep your scenarios realistic.

Consider what you will be willing to suffer through if you must. LOL @ Skynet

Edit to add : Test it too ... (hard to test EMP, but low skillz to create a Faraday protections.)
Be satisfied with your results, pack it away or start over!!!
edit on 1·20·12 by DrMattMaddix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by netwarrior
reply to post by captaintyinknots

LOL that's just what's on the kindle. I have ten times more in in hardcopy, of those I could take five of them in a tupperware box and have most of what I need. I do need to add a few Peterson's field manuals in there. I've got an awesome tome on native american ethnobotany but it's pretty sparse on the identification aspect.

And I have a copy of that FM as well as about thirty others on the Kindle.
The SAS book is pretty nice too.

I'm with you on that.

Books have valueable information. The more ebooks the better.

And you can get a working copy of wikipedia too free download from their site without pictures.
Simply because you just never know, what might have caused that rash, or what you can do about some ailment, or how to fix something, or where to find something.
Knowedge is power, and I can't remember everything I might need to know, but I could look it up.

You know what else I found out I like, to pass the time away? Electronic comic books.

If I get bored with the mystery novels, big boobed aliens will help me pass the time while I am waiting for the rain to stop.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

You get a gold star. I had no idea such an ability existed for wikipedia. Dangit now I have to buy another SD card.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

This is EXACTLY what I have in my B.O.B.
jwbasecamp.com...-Instructions
It's small, one piece, light. It literally fits in the leg pocket of my BDU pants if I need it too. A few ounces of fuel burns for some time and since I have small cans of tuna packed in my B.O.B as well I can make more of them if my original is damaged, lost or ineffective in anyway.
Highly recommend this little device.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
You know I don't want to sound cynical, because I am sure lots of people here could run off into the wilds, like Bear Gillis, with a knife and a bunch of cotton soaked in vaseline. Lets hope WTSHTF that the reactors don't make that impossible.

When I was at the outfitters I bought one of these...

You will see me coming in the woods

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Again, ebooks are great for the short term, but in a survival situation it is absolute folly to rely on anything electroniic. You simply will not be able to maintain it.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

If you ever wanted a future as a traffic cone now's the time to explore that option.
If it were me in one of those things, I'd sleep in it... That's it. During the day light hours, yeah it can still be cold however if you're on the go and moving you're going to warm up. I wouldn't risk being seen in the day light hours in that thing... (I personally wouldn't risk being seen dead in that thing but that's just me)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

You know I don't want to sound cynical, because I am sure lots of people here could run off into the wilds, like Bear Gillis, with a knife and a bunch of cotton soaked in vaseline. Lets hope WTSHTF that the reactors don't make that impossible.

You see the only good thing about this bright orange suit is that it is bright orange one reviewer said.
After she wore it after falling into a glacier fed stream in the yukon.

However, if you know about radiation fallout, then you know that aluminum and pvc will stop alpha and beta radiation.
So you could wear this outdoors, then rinse it off before you come in.
For 20 bucks its a cheap hazmat suit.,

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ox

If you ever wanted a future as a traffic cone now's the time to explore that option.
If it were me in one of those things, I'd sleep in it... That's it. During the day light hours, yeah it can still be cold however if you're on the go and moving you're going to warm up. I wouldn't risk being seen in the day light hours in that thing... (I personally wouldn't risk being seen dead in that thing but that's just me)

Well if I get shot in it, it won't be an accident.

They might think I am an alien with goggles and a mask for radiation fallout.

But you know, it would be too hot to wear for any length of time, but you could open a seam under the arm pits and crotch.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

reply to post by mileysubet

That's a good one, but dryer lint works better than cotton. And it needn't be vasoline- it can be any petrolium based lubricant.

But vaseline has so many other uses.

true, but chapstick can be used for every one of those uses, and is easier to pack and carry.

I will get some for sure. It doesn't weigh much.

You know my heat and light pack. A 12 in by 16 in plastic bag with canned heat candles and candle lantern, and survival blanket and hand and feet warmers and lighter, weighs in at about 4 pounds.

But, when you consider the cookingtime you can get with canned heat, 8 hours per tin, and I put 4 of them in there, and they don't give off smoke, so even hiding under some branches in a shelter or under a tarp,
or under whatever even if its raining, no need to get knindling and start a fire and tell others by your smoke where you are hiding.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Again, ebooks are great for the short term, but in a survival situation it is absolute folly to rely on anything electroniic. You simply will not be able to maintain it.

For many people it will be impossible to maintain.

I recently threw out a PC mother board that ran 24/7 for almost 13 years.

It spent most of it's life on a dirty greasy (and sometimes wet) workbench in the garage wired in...

until wireless came out.

Not every electronic device is robust. They can be created to weather tough conditions... more than an eReader.

Yeah, no one should depend on an electronic device. Even a flashlight can go down when you need it most.

If you can create a reliable edevice and a solid power source, one will have a leg up on others.

IF you are being chased by a platoon of Chinese soldiers through a swamp with 50lbs of gear chances are

one will be shedding everything for escape.

It's about being prepared and feeling confident in your gear. Feeling confident in your location(s).

Knowing you can provide shelter, heat, food first and foremost for as many as are in your team. (or lonewolf?)

About feeling confident in your storage. Will the situation include nomadic running?

Just as important as cooking gear is knowing where you will draw the line.

Many agree on many basic items. Where we end up after a SHTF is just as important.

Personally I like the rocket stove idea more than retail solution.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

In the elements, it doesn't matter how rugged your electronic is. It will eventually give out, and it will do so even faster if you live in a climate like the one I live in. Ereaders are great. I love my kindle. But anyone relying on one in a survival situation is flat out screwed.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ok so I took a couple pictures of my heat and light pack. That goes into my bug out bag.

Heat and light pack one

bagged

So in that plastic case, that I picked up at the dollar store for a buck, are 9 hour candles.

And they fit in that candle lantern taped to the end of the box.

So in subzero temp, one candle in that candle holder will heat a two person tent.

And its not reccommended to let it burn all night, but its probably safer than a propane tent heater.

A snickers bar because internal body heat from food.

Survival blanket.

A lighter, even though I have numerous methods of lighting a candle, I want one right there. And its refillable butane and I will bring a can of butane. Its small for filing butane lighters. And butane lighters are serious lighters. Its like a torch for plumbing. Like that. Wind no wind, its a litte blow torch.
The brown candles are bees wax and they smell nice. Attract bears, so you will have food.
If you like bear meat.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

OMG Funny, looks like a prison jumpsuit.

Nothing personal, who ever dreamed up that carrot suit?

We ahve these and these. If it's frigid no one is trekking anywhere. Keeping warm is the only option. Hopefully not alone!

And finally: Retail price may be high but DIY isn't impossible. My contribution to firestarter thread.

Done disagreeing. Grrrrr... This is merely one example...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Ok so I took a couple pictures of my heat and light pack. That goes into my bug out bag.

Heat and light pack one

bagged

So in that plastic case, that I picked up at the dollar store for a buck, are 9 hour candles.

And they fit in that candle lantern taped to the end of the box.

So in subzero temp, one candle in that candle holder will heat a two person tent.

And its not reccommended to let it burn all night, but its probably safer than a propane tent heater.

A snickers bar because internal body heat from food.

Survival blanket.

A lighter, even though I have numerous methods of lighting a candle, I want one right there. And its refillable butane and I will bring a can of butane. Its small for filing butane lighters. And butane lighters are serious lighters. Its like a torch for plumbing. Like that. Wind no wind, its a litte blow torch.
The brown candles are bees wax and they smell nice. Attract bears, so you will have food.
If you like bear meat.

So those little magic canned heat cans there. I can't say enough about them. One of those will take the chill off an 8 by 10 room for 8 hours.
If you were in a room that was sub zero, you would be wise to still pitch your tent.
Using one of those canned heat without a container would be dangerous because of open flame.
But if it tips, it won't spill and burn.

But really those are for short duration heat while you are awake and warming your hands around it.
And for cooking.

But if it happens in the winter, and there is no power, heat is something you will need. And if you can't make a fire, well these little cans might save your life.

I have a one cup metal creamer container like they use in restaurants only a little bigger. One cup, and it boiled water in that in under 4 minutes.
So to make a cup of coffee, which I always crave, I have these tiny coffee/non dairy creamer/sugar packages, and that little metal cup thing and its a cup of coffee in under 4 minutes and drink out of it cause it has a handle.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix

OMG Funny, looks like a prison jumpsuit.

Nothing personal, who ever dreamed up that carrot suit?

We ahve these and these. If it's frigid no one is trekking anywhere. Keeping warm is the only option. Hopefully not alone!

And finally: Retail price may be high but DIY isn't impossible. My contribution to firestarter thread.

Done disagreeing. Grrrrr... This is merely one example...

I was looking at the panasonic today, and I thought, maybe a scientist with a good job as a professor, working in the field, might have 5 thousand dollars for a laptop.

When I was a computer consultant for Telus, I had a 5 thousand dollar Sony Vaio. You need one so they know you are expensive and don't die from shock when they see your paycheck, and so you look the part.

That laptop would be in a Humvee.

Now that I don't do consulting anymore, I have 3 hundred dollar laptop, 2 , 200 dollar pc tablets, 1, one hundred dollar ereader, and an ipod and a sony ericson phone, all of which can play audiobooks and view video, and except for the tiny devices, they can all read ebooks. Multiple backup options instead.
And so then I have the small chips and portable harddrives.
This is the closest I will get to that panasonic.

Supertough Portable hard drive

This product fully meets U.S. military transit drop test "MIL-STD-810F 516.5 procedure IV" and water resistant standard "IEC 529 IPX7" (Submersible 1 meter at 30min). It is a labotary certification which we do not guarantee that hard drive device, data, and housing would not be damaged with the usage at any condition or environment. Please do not drop, smash or splash on this product on purpose.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

So like I said.. Good to sleep in if the temperature reaches those in the minus single digits.. Other than that your best chances are to keep moving.
Try the super cat stove, it works very well.. I'll look at your light/heat pack at home, work has the site blocked (weak).
I'm going to upload some pics of my B.O.B soon enough.
What do you use for your overall B.O.B.?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

I don't either, I detest laptops... however, well maintained destination(s) can harbor some nice items.

We (family/friends) are casually readying. Considering sane scenarios with realistic items.

Need to consider the destination. What will life be like? Always, in my mind, goes to wife and kidz.

All of them.

Fire Good. Hot Food Good. THEY may not be willing to venture out to gather food and water.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join