It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i'm not a game person but my son is. need some help with xbox live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
first, you'll have to explain things to me like i'm completely stupid because i've never had any interest in video games so i don't know ANYTHING about them.

my young son got the wireless thing for christmas and he was just looking through the xbox marketplace and found a game he wants. (red dead redemption)

do i need to create some sort of account? do i do that on the xbox or on the internet?

the game he wants has a purchase price for GB but not $'s. does that make a difference? no clue what the exchange rate is if i can even buy it.

thanks for any advice!! i tried to google info but i'm still confused.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

call x box tech support I am sure they can help you more than most on here.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yes you will need to create an xbox live account. You can either do it over the xbox or by going to a store and buying a membership. You can simply add 'GB' or points and download to the game. It is a good game BTW.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

yes you make an account sign up use your credit card to pay

www.ehow.com...

if you use craiglist or kjiji , you can find the game much cheaper used

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I managed a video games store for 12 years so I will see if I can help. To play online with the 360 you need a subscription to the Xbox live service. I think it is $60 a year or you can get a 3 month subscription if you do not want the full year. You can pay for this by either buying a game time card at your local video game store or you can use your credit card online. This will only allow you to play online with other people through your 360.

Now you say he is seeing a game he would like to get, Red Dead Redemption. I haven’t used Xbox live in some time but most games you buy on Xbox live are add-ons to the full game. This means you must own the full game already to buy the add-on. They may have started selling full games but I am not 100% sure and from my experience 99% are just add-ons to the games.

Lastly, Red Dead redemption is a mature title. It is made by Rockstar games the same company that makes Grand Theft Auto. Make sure you are ok with your child playing a mature game because I am pretty sure Red Dead has drugs, alcohol, bad language and nudity.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
gamerpoints are 800 for 9.99 400 for 4.99, xbox live is 9$ per month n u get discounts the more time you get, u also need to make sure u have room for the game, most will b around 2-3 gigabytes. my honest opinion? go to the store n get it used so u dont have to pay extra for xbox live.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
They do have full games, and after double checking, Red Dead Redemption is available for download (the whole game).

But yes. It's a mature title. Very mature from my experience (complete with nudity and a sex scene).

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
thanks so much for your help!!

i think it's making sense to me so i'll let him know we need to have an account. he's pretty darn smart with this stuff but sometimes doesn't understand the parts that have to do with money LOL!

i didn't know the game was rated M but he usually tells me what the rating is (thanks for giving me the heads up!). he's played grand theft auto and while it's got more mature stuff on it than i'd like he's a really good, well behaved kid so i don't worry too much about it. the ones i dislike more are the ones where he's shooting people the whole time. with grand theft auto he doesn't even pay attention to the "mature stuff". we had a big discussion about the whole thing when he first saw the game at someone elses house.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ManjushriPrajna

okay... sex scene i'm not too thrilled about. i'll be discussing that with him.
edit on 14-1-2012 by pasiphae because: spelling

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
i just told him it's got sex in it and the look on his face was so funny. my kid cracks me up. his dad just accidentally traumatized him by watching a cute movie that had a sex scene in it but his dad had left the room when the ONE scene came on (i've seen the movie and 98% of it is totally fine). poor kid went running out of the room saying "GROSS!!". needless to say his dad got a bit of an earful from me.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Actually I don't remember any sex scenes in Red Dead Redemption. They didn't even allow you to interact with the prostitutes(other than chat) because John Marston (main character) was a happily married man. The story revolves around him having a wife and son while he has settled down. The law catches up with him and forces him to catch his old running buddy and they will drop all past charges. He only want's to finish this and get back home to his wife and kid. No worse than any Clint Eastwood movie I've ever watched.
As for drugs I don't remember any of that either. This is a western game not Liberty City out of Grand Theft Auto. There is some language but none of what you came to expect out of the usual Rockstar Games.
edit on 14-1-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

cool. that sounds like he'd really like it. now he's begging to go to gamestop RIGHT NOW

i think he wanted the xbox live thing so he could play with his school friends. i'm not real thrilled with a monthly fee though. he and his sister have downloaded some demos and had fun with those... that may be the extent of their fun if this thing is gonna cost me monthly.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

You can buy a 1 year subscription for Live at Gamestop for $49.99 or you can by a 3 month for $19.99.

No monthly fee if you purchase one of the above. Live yearly subscriptions are a standard gift for my boys and husband every year. =)

edit on 14-1-2012 by VeraciousSeeker because: added info.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VeraciousSeeker

okay so the one year sounds like the best deal but what are the greatest advantages of it?? my son gets hooked on one game and then no others really seem interesting for a pretty long time. he's super picky about his games LOL! he LOVED world of warcraft for months on end and wouldn't play anything else but he got to the top of the game twice in one year (whatever that means) and now he's completely over it and won't play it anymore.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Not sure I would consider it an advantage, but my boys enjoy playing Live with their friends and they have made friends with people from all around the world. I think playing one game for months on end is fairly typical. Mine usually play the same thing for long periods of time, until the newest must have game comes out. But they generally still play some of their older games, especially if it was one they really really liked. One thing you may want to be aware of is the people on Live don't care if your kid is 8 or 28, they talk to them the same way, foul langague and trolling abound. I asked my son, who is 13 about Red Dead, he played it and liked it alot. He said there is foul language and prostitues, but no sex or sex scenes. Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Red dead has shooting ,killing ,executions and blowing people up in pieces all depicted with loads of blood and the thing people worry most about is a sex scene ?

edit on 18-2-2012 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

top topics

join