It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 32 MPH All-Terrain Electric Skateboard Steered With a Kinect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I guess this fits in this forum, more for technology than science, but maybe it fits best in chit chat?
Anyway, I thought this was pretty cool. It'll have to do until the hover board comes to fruition.

One of the most fun Kinect hacks we’ve seen in a while gives the idea of motion capture a whole new meaning. Behold the Board of Awesomeness, an all-terrain motorized longboard wired to a Kinect and a Samsung tablet running Windows 8. To roll ahead, the rider simply pushes his hand forward.
The system uses video and speech recognition, accelerometer and location data, and other factors to determine a rider’s next move. The Kinect transmits the rider’s movements to a voice-control-equipped Windows 8 tablet, which serves as the control center. The touchscreen turns the board on and off, manages speed settings (the motor has a top speed of 32 MPH) and visually monitors hand gestures, according to the brains at Chaotic Moon Labs, which designed the board.
It’s driven by an 800-watt electric motor, powered by a 36-volt power pack. A 12-volt battery powers the computers.

I am curious about battery life and distance potential.
The site with the design details: www.chaoticmoon.com...

Peace,
spec

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Cool, that a mountainboard without bindings though. I think even the most basic skateboard maneuvers would be difficult on that monster.

Slap some bindings on it and at the least it would have more maneuverability.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Cool device but I appreciate more that folks are still pushing the envelope of applications that were meant for other areas...I really can appreciate ingenuity when these types of ideas pop up...and honestly someone on ATS could have come up with this idea....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Agreed, although it looks like there is some flex in the maneuverability. One of the designs looks like it may have bindings to, but I'm not sure. Surely though, they are incorporating good flex properties in the design.

spec

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Me too chrismarco

I have thought we need a new forum here to take advantage of the great minds and research here at ATS. Maybe calling it "Ideas For A Better World?"

spec

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Luve it. I also saw on TV at the Las Vegas gadget show the "solo wheel' Goes for 20 miles on a 2 hour charge. Kool stuff.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Ahhh, thanks for the details Gridrebel! I like your user name too.
I wonder how these things fare in an incline? If they had some granny gears, maybe they would do okay.

spef

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Very cool built...

However if intended seriously then I would say overkill on the steering and seems the guy is imbalanced because of the focus on his movement just for steering. They seem to conflict at some points.

The standard motorized decks seem easier controllable.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Solo wheel in action. I could see this for crowded cities with short distance (few miles). I don't know how to get the video on here but this is the link:

www.youtube.com...

It cost around $1,800.00 though so not cool.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I REALLY want one of those little smart cars. If one resides in a small community a couple miles outta town, this would be perfect!

www.smartusa.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Here's your vid:

Thanks for the contributions. Wonder how insurers feel about the liability of that thing?

Found this too:

spec

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I have an electric skateboard, it will get up to 25mph on a full charge. I don't know if I'd trust the motion detector doing that type of speed, with a ton of shaking, no doubt. I've wrecked on mine full speed & destroyed my collar-bone...that is one painful break. That thing has to weigh a ton too. Mine doesn't have the extra battery or the extra tech weight and it weighs around 50 lbs. Unless they put a lithium on. My cuz has lithium on his and it is relatively light compared to mine.

Oh & these things aren't for tricks, they're for carving...it's more like surfing than skateboarding really. Man tech is taking ALL the skill you need out of the equation, lol. You can go surfing on a lake too.---> store.wavejet.com...

Every kook in the worlds gonna be in the water now, too

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
One step away from a Back To The Future hover-board. Though if you biff it going 32 mph on a skateboard that is going to hurt big time, and might even leave a few battle scars on you...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by V4SL4ND

Good points V4SLND, and I was wondering too, if this thingreacts to arm/hand movement, what happens when one tries to correct their balance with an awkward arm sway? Does the board respond and make the crash even worse?

The wave board seems pretty cool too!

Every kook in the worlds gonna be in the water now, too

Even the kooks need a little aqua therapy now and then I reckon'!
Just keep them jet skis off my fishin lakes!

Peace,
spec
edit on 12-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Too true KA, 32 mph wreckage would not be pretty!
I read bears can run at 35 mph too, so I guess they are still a danger while boarding in the forests!

spec

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Unfortunately motorized sk8boards are illegal here in California.

Anyone remember The Monkees TV show? Mike Nesmith can be scene riding a motorized sk8 board during the opening credits.

He only sat on it,didn't dare stand on it. And he still ended up on his a$$.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Granny gears??? Havent heard that since the seventies describing first gear in a four speed truck transmission

new topics

top topics

join