It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unions require photo ID for THEIR elections.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
All I can say is "Eish".... an african expression you say when something is totally in-comprehensible. I will shut off now, not getting involved with american politics further, just shaking my head, and say "Eish" when your election results comes in, whatever way that might be...

(and just one more thing, before I say things that I shouldn't say), I really, really, really feel sorry for you guys.

I grew up in England, so I'm an American who actually doesn't take the process for granted.

It's painfull to watch, though.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You would get a laugh at how elections are run in my town. We have a County run nursing home and four large apartment buildings for low income elderly people. Each one of these is a polling place. You can start voting at 7AM, but there is only one poll worker and the lines get long. At 9AM they usually have 5 or 6 poll workers, until about 3PM, then it is back to one. They make it as inconvient as they can for people who work. It is almost impossible to get an absentee ballot, but dozens of them are cast (small town, think 850-900 people).

Take a wild guess at which Party is in charge?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I won't say republicans don't cheat.

But I will state the democrats are against ANY voting regulations.

Is this the only way they can get their people in power?
Is this the only way they can get their ideas to fruition?

By cheating?

Obviously it is, or else the TOP law enforcement officer of America (Eric Holder) wouldn't be fighting it !!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The difference here is that members of organized labor are not born into the situation. They are not out of the womb with the right to vote in an election for which they are not part.

American citizens are. That is the whole point of the anti ID argument. That one need not own an ID or drivers license etc.... That one is given the right to vote in this country based on their citizenship alone.

What private organized labor unions do is their business and has absolutely nothing to do with what we as American citizens do.

Unions also have their own rules and taxes (dues). It is a private entity. That's the whole point. Membership
I know my local doesn't require photo ID. Union card is sufficient. I do not, however, see a problem with using photo ID for such an instance.

The fact is that the photo ID requirement for any American to vote in any election has nothing to do with fraud and everything to do with narrowing the minority vote. Why some ppl refuse to accept this is beyond me. Where do some of you live that you falsely believe everyone has an ID anyway, or that it's as easy as 1,2,3 for anyone to get one. That's not the real world. It certainly isn't American to require additional data or papers in order to take part in every Americans fundamental right and responsibility. One should not have to pay to vote either.
edit on 6-1-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

“This law shows why the Voting Rights Act is still needed to combat voter suppression,” said Katie O’Connor, a staff attorney with the ACLU Voting Rights Project. “This is the first time in 17 years the government has stepped in to block a voter ID law. It was the right move at the right time.

Government Steps Up to Block Voter Suppression in South Carolina

Ironic,isnt it?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by March of the Fire Ants

Forcing people to purchase ID (from a government body) would essentially amount to a poll tax. Paying to participate in democracy is wrong, because people will lose their vote if they don't have enough money.

I'm pretty sure that as of 2012, all states must provide free state i.d.'s for voting purposes.
I know for sure that the law has changed that way in Wisconsin.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
I had to show my driver license before I voted in 2008. We have to fill out this form..show voters id and picture id. I thought it was like that everywhere..

This. Non-issue is a non-issue. And most unions actually don't require photo id to vote.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

The difference here is that members of organized labor are not born into the situation. They are not out of the womb with the right to vote in an election for which they are not part.

American citizens are. That is the whole point of the anti ID argument. That one need not own an ID or drivers license etc.... That one is given the right to vote in this country based on their citizenship alone.

That's the part us outsiders are confused about. How does one prove citizenship without showing ID?
If ID isn't shown, then illegals may vote.

I realize ID can be faked, but wouldn't it still cut down on illegals voting?

edit on 6-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Considering that to buy cigs, alcohol, cold medicine and from a earlier post drain cleaner, you need a photo id why not require one for voting? This has nothing to do with preventing minorities from voting. Excuses for keeping the game rigged. To function as a adult you need some form of picture id. As for the seniors guess what, you still need a picture id for prescription benefits. So the excuses are just that excuses.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

All this is about is that obviously those who are opposed to showing ID's think that voter fraud benefits their side.

The Courts have always ruled that requiring an ID is not unconstitutional, if I'm thinking correctly. The argument now is just propaganda to influence votes. If the same people thought requiring ID's would help their side, they would flip flop in a heartbeat.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Sides?

The issue isn't about "sides". It's a matter of natural rights in the United States. The fact that you're making it about "sides" is just proof why some want the IDs. Like you said, it's helping a certain group.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

Sides?

The issue isn't about "sides". It's a matter of natural rights in the United States. The fact that you're making it about "sides" is just proof why some want the IDs. Like you said, it's helping a certain group.

Are you honestly, with a straight face, saying that the only reason Progressives want people to be able to vote without identification is not because they think it will benefit their side?

One of the advantages to my being an Independent is that I can be honest about the shortcomings of both the Right and the Left and think for myself. The Democrats and Republicans think it's a sporting event.

Nobody with enough intelligence to vote truly does not understand the games played by both Parties and both Ideologies. Partisans always think they are smarter than anyone who does not agree with them and only believe in their own Rights. That much is obvious.
edit on 1/6/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply. It makes me wonder how extensive fraud is along voting lines for them to fight it so much.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Considering that to buy cigs, alcohol, cold medicine and from a earlier post drain cleaner, you need a photo id why not require one for voting? This has nothing to do with preventing minorities from voting. Excuses for keeping the game rigged. To function as a adult you need some form of picture id. As for the seniors guess what, you still need a picture id for prescription benefits. So the excuses are just that excuses.

Exactly!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by March of the Fire Ants
I have no ID and I'll only get some if I want to drive or travel abroad. Forcing people to purchase ID (from a government body) would essentially amount to a poll tax. Paying to participate in democracy is wrong, because people will lose their vote if they don't have enough money. I guess the GOP wouldn't have much of a problem with poor people not being able to vote though haha!

All that being said, I'm against ID in general and I don't have much faith in this faux democracy we have.. So I would say that!

A full 11% of our Constitutional amendments (3 out of 27) are dedicated to voting. In those 3 Amendments, the word "citizen" is mentioned at least once. So it looks like it's pretty danged important that only Americans are allowed to vote on American interests. Therefore, we need a verifiable ID to prove that only citizens are voting.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join