It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada-US border crossed by man using iPad as ID

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

6e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

Terms & Conditions Of Use
edit on 1/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

The only thing that RFID chip does is to save the time it takes to manually key in the ID number. The picture that shows up on the screen had better match the person or they are not getting though and will more that likely be going to jail.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'll be the oddball here to see another angle to this, I suppose and say this guy is a real jerk to have talked about this or confirmed it ever even happened. I applaud the fact an Immigration officer had a heart, showed some of that discretion we're always wanting to see and did a human thing for Christmas.

The fact this guy interviewed all about it will insure no one else likely sees the same level of kindness shown toward them and we'll see people complaining about how unreasonably tight they're being. They'll have forgotten about this story and how it has surely embarassed some political hacks who are certain to send out a blizzard of memos that this better NEVER happen again 'or else...' or whatever.

Talk about getting his 15 minutes of fame at a high cost to everyone else.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
He must of also copied the, RFID Chip in his passport into his Ipad
alsso.

The RFID is not required for passports, it was only included in passports issued since 2006 as a second layer of security against counterfeit passports.

The RFID chip only includes the exact same info that appears on the paper document.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Not to mention that it has only been very recent that they even demanded passports, you never used to need them.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TBR47
.....all the Mexicans will be showing up at your boarders with IPADS now lol

No, they call them Aye Pads.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Not to mention that it has only been very recent that they even demanded passports, you never used to need them.

Right,

In Michigan I think you can get a special drivers license that will suffice,

costs extra.

Link to Michigan SOS "Enhanced" license page

Editor's Note: As of October 19, 2009, all Secretary of State offices offer enhanced driver's licenses and personal ID cards.

Michigan residents may begin applying for the state's new enhanced driver's license (EDL) today, Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land has announced.

The optional card is convenient, affordable and the most flexible option for travelers to meet tougher federal document requirements that go into effect at America's land and sea borders on June 1, Land said at a press conference in Detroit.

The dual-purpose EDL, which serves as a driver's license and border-crossing card, will benefit Michigan's economy as well as its security, she noted.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security embraced the dual-purpose ID concept and has granted approval for enhanced licenses in Michigan, Washington, Vermont and New York. State legislation authorizing Land's EDL plan was passed in February 2008. The state received federal approval to proceed in October 2008.

edit on 3-1-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

edit on 3-1-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

The RFID chip only includes the exact same info that appears on the paper document.

yeah right...that to the masses who have blindly bought smart phones only to find out months later.... " oh sorry yes we have your personal data but we are not storing or handing it over ".... honestly are the majority of humans this stupid or i have simply time warped back into to an era of complete morons ?

------

on the other hand, i simply cannot wait to begin changing rfid chips on the go when they become a normal part of society, lets see how many will be dragged for questioning kicking and screaming.

-------

nothing directed at you, simply answering to what is written down.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by QueSeraSera

Perhaps. Actually I always thought it was a bit of a sin... Hockey with out ice? There should be a law...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
ipads are expensive, looks like he isnt doing too bad

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
For all anyone knows he could have been a agent of one of the three letter government agencies in the US and had to dump his work passport. this may be a safety backup for government agents so that they do not have to carry anything to identify themselves as Americans when working out side the US

Type in a secret address and download a clean government passport and cross the border.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

WOW don't know what to make of this, is it good the US will let in people without a passport if they can prove who they are by using a I-pad or is it bad that the border control let a person in without a passport?
I do think the guy is right and one day we will not need passports.
Also good on the border control helping a guy out delivering his presents.
But he could of been a terrorist

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Does ANYONE do any research on ATS anymore?

Article 12.
•No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 13.
•(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
•(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 14.
•(1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
•(2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

Article 15.
•(1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
•(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

From this site here; www.un.org...

You have the NATURAL RIGHT, so long as you harm no other human, to leave your country and to return WITHOUT interference from "government" which MAN CREATED!!!

[SNIP] THE GOVERNMENT. I crossed the border INTO Canada a few years ago on a motorcycle trip and showed them NOTHING!! I explained to them they had NO RIGHT as I was NOT a "14th Amendment U.S. citizen" but an AMERICAN, born on the land and they had no right to see anything. I told them where I was from and where I was going. I went to Alaska to see some friends and to ride the Alaskan Highway and back down to LA to see some friends. When I crossed back into Washingtom state, the border guy asked me where I was from, I told him and he said "Good Answer", I asked "was there any other?" They do know the law and they do know your rights, DO YOU KNOW your rights?
edit on 1/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
A week before Sept 11th 2001 I crossed into the US from Canada with no ID what so ever. I forgot my wallet in my car and came back for it. It was at a major crossing in Michigan.

Although when I was a teen my friends and I thought it would be fun to go to Canada. Other then the driver 5 of us had no ID. We ended up stuck in customs for 2 hours while they called our parents.

Up until a couple of years ago all you needed was a drivers liscens.

My sister came up from Kentucky with her dumb ass boyfriend and she was showing him around. They decided they were gonna go to Canada for a couple of hours. He had a loaded 357 in the car with him. They searched the car and found it. They impounded the car and had to pay a $1000 fine to get it back. He lost the gun they kept it.
edit on 4-1-2012 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

You want a border crossing story? you got it!

About a month after this happend:

www.msnbc.msn.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.m... snbc.msn.com/id/8132799/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/man-what-appeared-bea-bloody-chain-saw-let-us/#.TwURR3psiSo

I was crossing the border from Canada to the States, yes I am Canadian. As soon as they asked where I was from....Minto...the SHTF.

Out of the vehicle, searched completely, the whole nine yards. Guess they weren't going to make the same mistake twice. Unfortunately for me, it took forever to prove that I wasn't a threat just because I lived in the same town...
edit on 4-1-2012 by Jerisa because: trying to fix link...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

Just be glad you did not have your chain saw in the car. By the way your link was messed up but I still found it.

bloody chain saw

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Thank you for fixing the link, they give me issues sometimes.

Yeah and no chainsaw, lol.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
If there is a bar code, what's the big deal? Tablet PCs are meant for electronic documents anyways, right?
Bring on the implanted microchips. JK

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Apparently the claims according to CBP are false..but who knows.

CBP bats down iPad border crosser claims

Source

The reports were only hours old, when CPB responded in a statement that the claims were “categorically false.” The agency asserted that Reisch had both a valid driver’s license and birth certificate, which the CBP officer used to determine identity and citizenship before he was allowed into the U.S.

The agency said for the last two years U.S. and Canadian citizens entering the U.S. by land or sea from within the Western Hemisphere are required to present a valid, Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document, which includes a passport, U.S. Passport card, Trusted Traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST/EXPRES, or Global Entry), or enhanced driver's license/enhanced identification card.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
So....you americans are afraid of strangers coming into your country, basically? For a country with no real heritage, that was created and made up by europeans from a lot of different countries, this sure seems a bit hateful against foreigners.

I mean, here in europe, we have no borders since a few years. You can drive from country to country with no problems. Nobody cares, nobody really gives a damn about it and it mostly works. So what's the big deal? And what is a ID good for anyway, if there are relatively easy ways to fake it?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

WOW don't know what to make of this, is it good the US will let in people without a passport if they can prove who they are by using a I-pad or is it bad that the border control let a person in without a passport?
I do think the guy is right and one day we will not need passports.
Also good on the border control helping a guy out delivering his presents.
But he could of been a terrorist

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well prior to that draconian (un)patriot act you didn't even need a frikkin' passport.
Just when things are starting to slacken off a bit you get some idiot screaming to the red press about it!
Go to blazes BBC and big gov.!

I'm not having a go at you monkey dude btw, just letting off steam at the gimps in charge.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join