It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could You Stomach These Great Depression Meals?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Rice is a pretty staple food. It's readily available. Make rice, put the cucumbers on the side. French toast can be for breakfast and the rice for dinner. If you can afford regular mustard you can afford Wasabi and it's great on rice. Add some canned tuna and you have a rounded out meal.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ketchup sandwiches kept me alive when we were much less fortunate than we are today.
I would have no problem eating that again if push came to shove. It's better than starving to death and to be quite honest... it's actually very tasty (if not exactly nutritious.) Same with mayonnaise sandwiches.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I am curious...what do you eat for breakfast?

It depends on what is in season. If there's nothing 'fruity' then it's dry bread from the day before with red pepper jam I make from chopped jalapenos boiled with red wine vinegar and sugar. I must say it's one of my favorite meals!
I'd be glad to send you the recipe if you'd like.

Happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

The OP has inspired me to try a barbeque sauce sandwich and see what happens

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Back in the early 60's my Father used to make us eat "Milk Toast" what da freak!.... just me a glass of milk and toasted bread with butter on it separately, I'll be OK.. WOW !!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

squirrel: way better than it sounds!

Hope you don't live on my street..............I love my little squirrel buddies.

This is the cheeky one that knocks on my back door to let me know when the squirrel feeder is empty.

Notice the smile.

And yes, honest to God, he knocks at the door just like a human would.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Mmmm... tasty squirrel.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Mmmm... tasty squirrel.

Is that you...or your avatar saying that....

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Right now today I'm poor till the first when my SSDI shows. I don't complain, I'm having fried tortillas with fried potatoes and onion with salt and pepper for filling, little taco's as it were. If that ran out, I'v got biscuit mix and could make a couple dozen biscuits. No it's not always his way, I usually manage the money better, but his month killed me. I could also make waffles with the biscuit mix if I had to. Usually I'm styling if I have tortillas, hamburger or cubed or shredded chicken towards the end of the month. People now days have no idea what hungry is. Oh and I did work all my life as a block mason until just recently when the arthritis in my hips made it impossible to walk without a cane or at times, elbo-crutches.. Am I bitter? Hell no, I'm a lucky man, I have a bed to sleep in.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
*I could eat all of this first list and the things in bold I grew up eating so this isn't a big deal to me. And it's not like I'm all that old, was born in 74', but it was probably just leftover from foods my parents grew up eating because their parents grew up eating. Habit that was initially formed out of necessity I guess.

Chipped beef on toast
Cucumber and mustard sandwiches
Hot milk and rice
Potato soup – water base, not milk
Dandelion salad
Sugar sandwiches
Hot dogs and
Baked beans
One eyed Sam – piece of bread with an easy over egg in the center
Fried potatoes and hot dogs
Onion sandwich – slices of onion between bread
Tomato gravy and biscuits *used to have w/homemade egg noodles
Cornbread in milk
Gravy and bread – as a main dish
Toast with mashed potatoes on top with gravy
Creamed corn on toast
Corn mush with milk for breakfast, fried corn mush for dinner
Rice in milk with some sugar
Beans
Banana slices with powdered sugar and milk
American cheese sandwich, ‘American’ cheese was invented because it was cheap to make, and didn’t require refrigeration that may or may not exist back then.

*these I have never had, but I would eat if I had to*

Milk toast
Mayonnaise sandwiches
Turtle/tortoise
Gopher
Oatmeal mixed with lard
deep fried chicken skin
squirrel
fried potato skin sandwich
Boiled cabbage
Hamburger mixed with oatmeal
Ketchup sandwich

* I'm not so sure I could keep these things down to be honest..

Lard sandwiches
Bacon grease sandwiches
Road kill

edit on 31-12-2011 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2011 by MaMaa because: edited to fix some errors.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

If your starving, you can eat things that would suprise you. Plus you could eat things seperately...like bread by itself, cucumbers by themself, the list goes on and on, you don't have to mix things if they don't taste good together...example...
I like
bread
Turkey
cheese
peanutbutter
butter

Would these all taste good together? maybe, but I know that they taste good alone..or with 1 or 2 things added...like
bread and butter
bread and peanutbutter
bread and turkey
bread and cheese
there are several combinations for making things that taste good, just don't feel like you need everything all together....

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I grew up eating most of that... so yeah, I can eat it, and still do some of it. Except no way on the chicken skin, yuck, or lard, yuck.

I've also eaten snake and it's very good, and bear, and deer, but not other types of "roadkill", though none of it was actually "roadkill", just what we hunted for food when I was growing up.

You guys should try some rocky mountain oysters. You'll like it.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
I grew up eating most of that... so yeah, I can eat it, and still do some of it. Except no way on the chicken skin, yuck, or lard, yuck.

I've also eaten snake and it's very good, and bear, and deer, but not other types of "roadkill", though none of it was actually "roadkill", just what we hunted for food when I was growing up.

You guys should try some rocky mountain oysters. You'll like it.

Harm None
Peace

Rocky mountain oysters are actually very good. Fried chicken skin if crispy is good too, just like how you would eat it if it were on fried chicken. I have had rattlesnake and I agree snake is very good! I would think road kill wouldn't be any good because of how badly the meat could be damaged, bruised, ect..

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
People still eat milk toast don't they?

The 1 that turned my stomach was lard sandwiches. seriously.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
Can someone tell me what Chipped Beef is - with a description? What do you do with the beef once it is chipped?Thank you.

Much Peace...

[/quote

If you are not familiar with Chipped Beef perhaps you have tried smoked beef jerky.

A general description for me is beef jerky made from a better cut of beef, perhaps a whole top round cut.

In a store with a full service butcher counter you will find the solid smoked beef and order part of it sliced thin as

you might order some ham or salami from a delicatessen. The thinly sliced meat is dry and salty tasting.

Added to a white sauce of flour and milk and served over toast or biscuits the meat become tender and the salt

flavor is dissipated. The item has become scarce in American grocery stores which I think is unfortunate.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead

maybe they do, I had never heard of milk toast before though. I remember having toast with a white gravy, sometimes it would have sausage in it. Or I would have buttered toast with cinnamon and sugar, but never with milk.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hunger is the best spice.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Reply to saltdog

Absolutely and I agree! The only things I don't think I could physically keep down are
Lard sandwiches,Bacon grease sandwiches, or road kill.
edit on 31-12-2011 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa

maybe they do, I had never heard of milk toast before though. I remember having toast with a white gravy, sometimes it would have sausage in it. Or I would have buttered toast with cinnamon and sugar, but never with milk.

en.wikipedia.org...

Are you from the UK? I'm sure the older people here eat it... not too sure though.. so to be honest I have no idea what I am talking about lol

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Isn't milk toast just a version of bread and butter pudding? I'm really lucky because I'll eat anything and have eaten some awful things during survival training. If the worst comes to the worst I find holding your nose and thinking about your favourite meal will help you get most things down.

Is it bad that I'm looking forward to my next survival situation? lol

Rev

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join