It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trolling As Mind Control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Trolling is a concept invented by someone in the past, whoever that might have been. The problem is, people use the term nonchalantly, whenever it suits them. Truth be told, trolling comes in all shapes and sizes, not all necessarily bad. Trolling is just another mental shortcut, another excuse, another label.. unless someone is insulting us directly, clearly wants to derail a conversation, there is no need to use the phrase just because it's so ''trendy''. Unfortunately, and quite frankly, many ''forum people'' are not exactly bright and their inner inhibitions just disappear when they can scream (virtually) TROLL at someone. Even the so-called troll can have something to contribute, and as a matter of fact, trolling can represent a wide range of activities, some requiring considerable intelligence to pull off. If I was a forum owner/moderator/what have you, I would left intelligent trolls alone and kick the ones who claim to be ''anti-troll'' and, in actuality, are mere sophists on an ego trip. Yes, the very term ''trolling'' is actually an efficient mind-control mechanism. Cheers!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I was just asking if I or you were being 'trolled'.....for want of a better word, admittedly, regarding the messages.

Have a nice day ;-)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We all know that some of the dumbest things ever written were trolls on internet message boards. Nobody can defend the merits of some 12 year old posting some bad toilet humor.

Some of the most intellectually provocative, entertaining, and insightful things ever written were trolls or hoaxes. Sometimes the best way to express oneself is to troll people, grab their goose, and jerk them around a bit.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by survivaloftheslickest

Good post, but please don't stoke your ego here. Forum people are not 'unintelligent' they are people from ALL walks of life and all levels of intelligence. To label people like that, your no better than the fascist agenda that this forum is trying to expose.

Love is the real power, the real is on the rise!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
We all know that some of the dumbest things ever written were trolls on internet message boards. Nobody can defend the merits of some 12 year old posting some bad toilet humor.

Some of the most intellectually provocative, entertaining, and insightful things ever written were trolls or hoaxes. Sometimes the best way to express oneself is to troll people, grab their goose, and jerk them around a bit.

One could say to ''jerk someone around a bit'', as you put it, takes intellectual prowess, because you need to see how the person in question reacts AND anticipate how they behave. In the real world, we are surrounded by trolls, it seems. Most are pathetic, run-of-the-mill, creatures, but there are also geniuses.

Even on seemingly avant-garde forums such as this one, provocative responses are bashed and attacked, resorting to ad hominems. And these people want to change the world? These people want to make the paradigm shift happen? Not a chance. They do not have what it takes, intellectually-wise, and they will end up in FEMA camps before the REAL change happens. Sad, but - apparently - true.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grandeharibo
reply to post by survivaloftheslickest

Good post, but please don't stoke your ego here. Forum people are not 'unintelligent' they are people from ALL walks of life and all levels of intelligence. To label people like that, your no better than the fascist agenda that this forum is trying to expose.

Love is the real power, the real is on the rise!

You don't know me, Sir (supposedly), so please don't say I'm stroking my ego. Last thing I'd want is to stroke my ego in front of a bunch of screen names
I'm merely explaning the situation, that's all.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Challenging and trolling are very different activities. Even so, trolling is fine, as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's not a coordinated effort by several board members. I'm perfectly capable of dealing with lone-gunmen trolls. It's the 2-3 person teams of trolls and thread hijackers that tend to piss me off. They sink threads like a wave of torpedoes. Not cool at all.
edit on 12/27/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Trolling is funny. It's not really serious and most of the time you can tell if someone is trolling. Thread derailers are just completly annoying. Especially those who use the pick and knit grammar tactic. It's just the most annoying trick in the book.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I just look at trolling as a logical fallacy in an argument. Unless there is some truth to what is being said, then I don't see how it is trolling. I bring up the last part because a lot of people do call each other trolls a lot.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I see some trolling as a new way to control the the public, keeping us in our places, and it's getting worse every day.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Not all trolling is funny, unless you are easily amused by toilet humor. And based on the utter disregrad for grammar and spellung u show we, I can see why your into that kinda thing.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I see some trolling as a new way to control the the public, keeping us in our places, and it's getting worse every day.

Good point. We become so entrenched, our ideas so deep-rooted, the argument is no longer relevant. It's only a matter of time before Troll-calling is going to be used be people on the street

Psychopaths are the most efficient trolls. The difference being, their ''trolling'' is far from innocuous.

Remember about gas-lighting, the tactic used by psychopaths to drive their victims insane by altering minor pieces in ther surroundings

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'd also lik to add one of the most conspicuous examples of trolling:

WHERE'S YOUR EVIDENCE UFO ABDUCTIONS OCCUR?

NONE.

THREAD CLOSED.

This clearly is a feeble attempt at.. well, I don't know what, but you get the point.

These are cheap manipulatory shots used by disgruntled/seemingly facetious/what have you individuals. Is this meant to exert authority? THE LETTERS ARE MEANT TO SCREAM AT US, YOU SEE.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by survivaloftheslickest

NONE.

THREAD CLOSED.

This clearly is a feeble attempt at.. well, I don't know what, but you get the point.

These are cheap manipulatory shots used by disgruntled/seemingly facetious/what have you individuals. Is this meant to exert authority? THE LETTERS ARE MEANT TO SCREAM AT US, YOU SEE.

You think it's more of a trolling technique than presenting a case without proper evidence?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The term internet "troll" did not originally mean simply someone who disagrees with you.

It meant someone who was "trolling" for an emotional reaction.

In reality, a lot of threads such as "No Planes Hit the Towers on 9/11" amount to trolling when you get right down to it.

People know they're going to get a reaction to that as opposed to, say, something like "Fed Policy Harmful to Middle Class Auto Buyers."

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
A troll is simply someone you find disagreeable or their communications impenetrable.

Lesser trogloditic types do not earn the honor of trollsmanship.
edit on 12/28/2011 by The1Prettiest1One because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I have recently had the unpleasant experience of such an activity, in which I tried to explain how not everything might be as it seems, regarding the OP's threadpost. I was immediately attacked by 3 posters. My posts were hardly or not well read, my words were very cleverly twisted and peppered with humor I used as a teenager, and not even then anymore. And the attention was, also very cleverly, directed off the topic. Those who shout the loudest, are shouting at their own insecurities and fears.

Oh well, Preconception by lack of Open-Minded Knowledge and indiscriminate Judgement, imprisoned by a well-rooted Superiority Complex seem to have something to do with it. Pa-trolling, Con-trolling?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think I see where your going with this, troll is just a new name for an old tactic of discrediting something. I lost count of how many times I was called a troll on my own thread lol. Hilarious. Makes you really respect the wisdom of the founding fathers. Im glad they didnt say fredom of speech, except trolling. Free speech should be free, but it isnt. Not on ats, not in america. Too much technicalities and worries, libel, threats, hate speech, its just slowly wittles away free speech until speech is outlawed in the name of not hurting a hypothetical group.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by survivaloftheslickest

NONE.

THREAD CLOSED.

You think it's more of a trolling technique than presenting a case without proper evidence?

Indeed it is. Proper evidence is relative, whereas categorical statements are not.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Couldn't have said it any better! Or, maybe... 'hypothetical person'?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join