It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lovejoy Turns Into Killjoy - Comet Survives Close Encounter With Sun .... But

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm amazed that this Comet, a 660 Feet Wide ICY Rock was able to survive it's encounter with the sun - the following is a statement from a Daily Mail Reader: (Name Removed)

Journalists playing scientists again. There really should be a law against such gross missreporting! - Acibeb, London, UK, 16/12/2011 12:44 I quite agree with you, this artical should have started with Once upon a time and ended night night readers the end. if any thing that small came that close to the sun. would never of escaped the sun gravity and secondly no matter what it was made of would of been vapourized, Mercury which is 33million miles away the surface is hot enough to melt iron. so the person who wrote this as next to no knowlege of the solar system and must spend all there time reading mills and boon books to get there facts

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

So what are we left to think? It came within 87,000 miles of the Suns Suface where temp., is 1.1million C.

This really makes me wonder if it was a chunk of ICE - Mind boggling to say the least.????

Writing on the Sungrazing Comets website, Naval Research Laboratory scientist Karl Battams said: ‘We have here an exceptionally rare opportunity to observe the complete vaporization of a relatively large comet, and we have approximately 18 instruments on five different satellites that are trying to do just that.’

However, Lovejoy had other ideas and in a brief, but very clear, clip can be seen zooming away to safety from the Sun’s fiery clutches.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Sun.html#ixzz1gkDXGJGM

Article Includes Video of the event.

I'm left wondering if they have any idea at all about what is up there?

edit on 16/12/11 by masqua because: Added 'ex' tags for external content

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Two things strike me about this comet.

1) First, it forms a cross.

2) Comets are ice. Last time I checked, Ice melts with heat. This comet made it around the sun and survived. Also, it's really big.

edit on 16-12-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It's got me really puzzled - maybe Ice doesn't melt anymore

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

I just found a really great angle of the comet as it passes over the sun. Very cool!!! Not sure if it's Lovejoy or just a jet.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

The part where it looks like a cross seems like a video error to me, because of its perfect symmetry and and how it's either all white or not there at all. It does not look at all like an effect you would see from light reflecting off of clouds of particles.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
It's got me really puzzled - maybe Ice doesn't melt anymore

I like watching this guy. He's humorous.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Yeah funny till he starts singing -

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd
reply to post by quedup

Two things strike me about this comet.

1) First, it forms a cross.

CCD blooming.

2) Comets are ice.

No, comets are mostly dust and rock with some ice embedded and portions of it exposed to space.

This comet made it around the sun and survived.

So did the Great Comet of 1843, another Kreutz sungrazer. The Great Comet of 1882 also hung together until a while after its perihelion passage.
edit on 16-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

Perhaps the area in which this comet crossed the sun is not actually 1.1 million degree's. That temp is likely based on theory and not an actual probe measurement so that could be were, if any, problem lies.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well one more for the Electric Universe Theory

www.electricuniverse.info...

Didn't they say somewere water has a four states now

Gas,liquid,solide,Plasma

www.windows2universe.org...
edit on 16-12-2011 by Trillium because: more info

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

MMm - that sounds interesting - would explain the survival - I think I'll read up more on this electric universe - the whole thing is fascinating!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Yeah funny till he starts singing -

He pastors a church of about 70 members in Indiana. He's a good man. Many of his observations are no more or less plausible than anything on the internet about any subject. The hymns are a bonus to me. I share his joy and faith.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Man, don't ya just love this stuff

I have often wondered about these sundiver comets
With the Suns extreme heat and gravity, how do they even get close

How did this one simply pass bye that close

Does anyone here know, I'm very curious about the whole thing.
Does it all come down to the velocity of the comet

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
"Comet Lovejoy - Sign of the Cross":

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The Sun does not appear in that video but the Moon does. The video ends just before sunrise. You can see the time of day at the bottom.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The "rational minds" can only talk about "coincidences". This is the only thing they have to offer.

Small list of coincidences:

- The comet is named Lovejoy (Love + Joy)

- The comet forms a cross in the sattelite image. The "reason" for this doesn't matter. If the comet was coming from another angle, and not in the "vertical" position, it would never have formed a cross to be seen by thousands of people who were checking the sattelite images, even if the same "lens flare" effect had took place. If it came from another angle, it could have formed an "X", or a "V", but never a cross, a very clear cross that even appear to have a person on it, a crucified person, with the open arms.

- The comet survives the approach of the Sun, much closer than planet Mercury, even when all the scientists predicted it would not survive

- Wikipedia says the comet has an Orbital period of 314 years. 2011 - 314 = 1697. The last perihelion was on the year 1697. The same year when the last surviving Maya state, the Itza kingdom, was conquered by the Spaniards, bringing to a definitive end any independent Maya state.

Keep talking about "coincidences", dear "rational thinkers".

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatRevelation

- The comet forms a cross in the sattelite image. The "reason" for this doesn't matter. If the comet was coming from another angle, and not in the "vertical" position, it would never have formed a cross to be seen by thousands of people who were checking the sattelite images, even if the same "lens flare" effect had took place. If it came from another angle, it could have formed an "X", or a "V", but never a cross, a very clear cross that even appear to have a person on it, a crucified person, with the open arms.

It is not a lens flare. As pointed out the "cross" is a sensor effect. That is why it is always horizontal, no matter the direction or angle of the comet.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

edit on 12/16/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

This really makes me wonder if it was a chunk of ICE - Mind boggling to say the least.????

Who says it was just ice?

It was thought by most in the past that comets were mostly ice, but recently scientists have actually been able to sample comets for the first time in history.

What they found was that at least some comets are not just ice or "mostly ice", but may actually be mostly rock.

This is actually relitively old news.

Until now, comets have been dubbed "dirty snowballs", but A'Hearne said it might be appropriate to call them "snowy dirtballs" given the extraordinary dominance of ultrafine dust.

Source: spacedaily.com

The exact definition of a comet is something of a grey area, and there is some room for variation. With recent discoveries we are finding that some asteroids behave like comets, and vice-versa, so the boundaries between what are asteroids and what are comets are becomming more blurred as we discover more about these objects.

The classic example is the parent body of the annual Geminid meteor shower (which is still going on as I type), 3200 Phaethon, which is classified as an asteroid, but produces an almost comet like meteor shower. Virtually all the meteor showers we know of have comets as their parent bodies.

Phaethon is too hot for water ice to survive, rendering the possibility that dust is ejected through gas drag from sublimated ice unlikely. Instead, we suggest that Phaethon is essentially a rock comet, in which the small perihelion distance leads both to the production of dust (through thermal fracture and decomposition cracking of hydrated minerals) and to its ejection into interplanetary space (through radiation pressure sweeping and other effects).

Source: ACTIVITY IN GEMINID PARENT (3200) PHAETHON

One possibility is that 3200 Phaethon is the rocky "ghost-core" of a now fully out-gassed (or "extinct") comet.
edit on 16-12-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: clarification

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
So as a person of I'd say average intelligence - Can I assume that if it is mostly rock then it would survive these temperatures?

I was under the impression that whole planets can be swallowed up by Suns?

I really need to educate myself in this area - I have so many interests - I find it difficult to focus on one in particular.

As for the CROSS - I'm sorry I can't go with any significance there - If it was a holy sign in the sky - you would have no need of a telescope - we'd all see it with our own eyes all around the world. There wouldn't be any arguing about it!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatRevelation

The comet is named Lovejoy (Love + Joy)

As named after it's discoverer Terry Lovejoy who has two other comets bearing his name...

C/2007 E2
C/2007 K5

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join