It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NTSB Recommends Ban On Driver Cell Phone Use

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
As far as mobile phones go, it has been law in Australia for many years, and comes with quite a stiff fine for getting caught, even to go so far as you only have to have the phone in your lap to receive a fine for it.

It's actually illegal here to be pulled over on the side of the road and talking on your phone with the keys in the ignition (even if engine is off).

Same standards as drink driving.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by 74Templar
As far as mobile phones go, it has been law in Australia for many years, and comes with quite a stiff fine for getting caught, even to go so far as you only have to have the phone in your lap to receive a fine for it.

It's actually illegal here to be pulled over on the side of the road and talking on your phone with the keys in the ignition (even if engine is off).

Same standards as drink driving.

Yeah you are right, it is. Sorry in a bit of a rush before, so I generalised.

I guess what I was trying to say was if you are driving, and being distracted by whatever it is taking your attention away from the road, then cease it and focus on that.
And a law like that is typical as to why no-one trusts the governments and their stupidity. I would rather someone stopped on the shoulder, even with the engine running, totally focusing on that rather than splitting their attention between the phone and the road, than dragging people out of car wrecks with the steering wheel attached to what's left of their chests, or watching a close friend stop breathing after taking a flying leap off his bike into the pavement at 100km/h after a, well words couldn't describe that person, pulled out while chattering on his phone without looking at the bike coming at him.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
Ok, i agree that people should NOT be texting and using their phones while driving. It's irresponsible and could not only end your life buy someone else's.

Now, with that being said, the federal government is trying to extend their corrupted, authoritarian hand into every facet of our lives. As the years fly by more and more laws are added that try to control everything from the way we travel, where we go, when we go, or how we act while we are going.

It's ridiculous, i'm all for safety, but there are some things you cannot control. Common sense people, we all could use a heavy dose of it.

edit:

I guess i was taking out my frustration on yet another law telling us what to do. But really, i do think this is a major problem, people should not be purposely distracting themselves while they are driving. I think a message does need to be sent to people that are this idiotic. So although i said what i said, i think it was really just a reflection of my frustration with "big brother"
edit on 14-12-2011 by dannotz because: add

I do have to agree with that at least, the government does seek to micro-manage us like morons, and it seems to be getting worse by the day. We see politicians installed without being elected, making decisions that do not involve the will of the people. When the people cry out, they tend to ignore us, stating "we know what's best for you." Sorry, but being a died in the wool Gen-X 90s kid, I have a strong distrust of any authority, and agree some of their policies are just downright ridiculous.
At least in America you guys are lucky, your Constitution protects your right to arm yourselves, here in Aus they staged a mass slaying of innocents to take away our gun rights, and make it nearly impossible to defend ourselves by those means.
However, I have seen the aftermath first hand of what talking on a mobile can do, and it affects all involved very badly.
Sadly, as they say, common sense 'aint that common, and it's true, even today.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I can't believe some people are THAT stupid -- to text when driving.

It is very stupid indeed, and yet I have done it myself. On the way to a critical business meeting, stuck in traffic, to warn my colleagues that I would be late.

Fortunately, the use of mobile phones for any purpose while driving is now banned in my country. But enforcement is patchy, and people still do it. I wish they wouldn’t; I’ve had too many near-death experiences with yakking morons.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Reply to post by 74Templar

I've said several times and backed it up with years of stats that this law does and will do nothing to make the roads safer for anyone.

What I honestly believe would make the roads safer for everyone is making people ride either motorcycles, bicycles, scooters or any other two wheeled vehicle everyday for a month or two.

Getting people out of their comfortable steel cages and showing them just how vulnerable they are and how dangerous road travel is for everyone would do much more for instilling alert driving habits than some text in a book and a threat of a fine.

Drivers don't often consider consequences. The ultimate consequence of driving is death and a driving related death is far more likely than a gun, terrorist, airplane, assault or many other commonly feared deaths yet people drive as if it were a distant and unlikely rarity.

Take a bad driver and put them on a bike. Make them see what it's like to rely on leather a helmet and the ability of their fellow motorists to pay attention. I can guarantee this will make them better drivers.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
i have to agree with this. because sometimes when im either texting or calling i start swerving... not good i think its a good idea.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Reply to post by Enemyc0mbatant

So don't do it!

You're the reason the governments of the world always resort to tyranny.

Seriously, you know it's a bad idea and you still do it?'You need an act of congress to make you stop doing it? Would you even stop under an act of congress? Seeing as how you do it knowing it's a bad idea anyway I have my doubts you'd stop doing even if it was law.

You're like the guy who ends up with cirhosis after years of being blackout puking drunk then cries "there outta be a law!!"

Jesus man. Jesus.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 14-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Governments job is to take away responsibility from the average person, been working great hey?

In Australia these laws are VERY HEAVILY enforced.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I will frequently text while driving. If a law is made i won't stop.

I live in the sticks. Often, I am the only person on the road.

I am the kind of guy that manages risk. If there are a bunch of cars on the road, I don't even touch my phone. I don't want to die.

But if i am in my home town, and I can't see another car anywhere, I will do all sorts of things like pick up a cell phone, make unsignaled lane changes, and speed. And since there are no cars on the road, not only is the risk very low, but i am also not going to make any victims besides myself if i wreck, AND there isn't anyone around to write me a ticket.

There ARE benefits to being a country boy.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Its a good idea... Driving whilst on the phone is bad and impairs your driving skills...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
This morning Kim Komando said that since no-texting laws have gone into affect, MORE people are actually texting than ever. So the laws haven't stopped the unsafe practice.

Numerous people have been killed by these phone users so subsequently using a mobile phone while driving has been banned in the UK for some time. The problem is if people are caught they get a small fine. What is required is an outright driving ban for 5 years and seizure of vehicle.

If you can't do hands-free talking on the cell phone, then can you speak to your passengers? Because that is just as distracting.

It is different speaking to a passenger because the passenger is in the vehicle with you and is aware of the driving conditions. They shut up and allow you to concentrate on the road when it is needed. An absent person chattering away on the phone continues regardless putting the driver, passengers, other vehicles and pedestrians in danger.

The most distracted I've EVER been is when my boys were toddlers riding in the backseat. Maybe they should ban toddlers.

Toddlers and kids should always be bound and gagged and travel in the boot/trunk!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
30,000 to 40,000 people die every year via a vehicle related crash. It is like ten 9/11 events occurring every year. With over 30% of those being alcohol related. Yet we as a nation do very little about it.

There are numerous technologies that could save lives, safety features that are "too expensive" to implement in all vehicles. Cars are even able to drive themselves with today's technology, but it is "too expensive" to implement. Most jobs can be done remotely, via telecommuting which would reduce traffic, and save lives. But employers refuse to adapt to a modern world and risk the lives of their employees daily. We could drastically reduce alcohol related crashes, but choose not to as well.

Interesting that we would spend trillions on a war on terror to save American lives but refuse to invest in our own country and motor industries to save 10x more people every year.

People are dying every day, all in the name of profit, casualties of a system of greed and corruption.

SOURCE: www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I will frequently text while driving. If a law is made i won't stop.

I am the kind of guy that manages risk.

That's exactly the same kind of attitude this guy had

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by torsion

Yes. People die. Sometimes horrifically. It is part of life.

Do you really think you will live forever? Have you ever driven on a rural road, with only cotton fields for as far as the eye can see to keep you company?

BTW, this morning I was listening to Kidd Kraddick on the radio, and heard a story about this family who was going about their daily lives a couple of nights ago. All of a sudden, BOOM...a gas leak blew their house up. Should the lesson there be that we shouldn't have a furnace?

edit on 14-12-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Once again the Federal Government trying to stretch its arms and mandate legislation that over-rides States rights and decision making ability. Who else is tired of this???

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You would think that common sense, and common sense alone would tell you that texting while driving is a bad idea. If you need to talk or text, pull over somewhere to do it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

This is because as citizens we have become addicted to technology.

Not necessarily every single citizen but enough to make it important.

Responsibility and driving is one of those things people often take for granted.

Whether we're addressing cell phones and driving or just driving alone it is taken for granted.

I know here in Florida most Northerners have shipped their happy butt down here to retire.

Why?

Because of the warm climate.

But there are also enough of those people being senior citizens.

They are getting away from stricter driving laws by retiring here.

This is because a lot of Northern states fail them for their eye exam and or reactionary times.

Combine this with irresponsible people driving and teenagers hot-rodding and or in general being stupid?

You have disaster on the road and statistics where people used to be living.
edit on 12/14/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imagewerx
Amongst other things I do is installing hands free car kits for my work.When the ban on using mobile phones while driving came into force in the UK a few years ago I was VERY VERY busy for a few months,then it went back to "normal" again.A lot of the people who had them installed were only getting it done to show the police they had it there but would still use it as before if they got stopped by holding it up to their ear.Crazy considering that Bluetooth means we no longer need to slide the phone into a cradle any more and all the connecting to the car kit and disconnecting is 100% taken care of automatically.Nowadays most of my customers only get them fitted after they've been caught using a phone while driving

Although I have a Bluetooth phone and a Pioneer radio with it also built in,it's always switched off now and the only time the phone is used while driving is for the sat nav.

Chris.

From cell phones, to hands-free with a wire dangling, to Blue Tooth, to the next step.

That will be where it is a surgical implant below your jawbone.

Being addicted to technology means eventually becoming a cyborg nation.

Let alone the rest of the world.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
So this will mean police cant fool with their laptops in traffic as well...
The use of electronic scanning technology RFID to see whether you are carrying insurance-or have expired registration..will also be considered cheating.

If you wish us to obey you have to as well--I dont care if you are Jesus or satan or own the planet. gfy

Those are mounted in their cars.

And they do stop to input data.

Unless they have a partner driving with them and then the partner looks up information.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by MysticPearl

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by MysticPearl

If someone on a cell phone causes an accident, PUNISH them. Take the car. Take their license for a decade or longer. Punish the offender. Don't legislate to the lowest common denominator.

If you read my earlier post, you'd see I said we should start revoking licenses left and right, because of how many people show daily they can't handle the responsibility. But which is more likely? And why did you say that given my previous post? You wouldn't jump to a conclusion without reading the thread would you?
You said "either or" in the post to which you refer. I disagree with your first choice of punishing everybody by disallowing electronics. I prefer to punish only the offenders.

Reading through the thread from the start so apologies if others have responded, but you can only 'punish the offender' if they have committed an offense. For them to do so you need to make it a crime to do the thing they will be punished for.

Use of mobile (cell) phones while driving without hands free is just ridiculous and arrogance on the part of the driver that puts the safety of themself and others at risk - why are you so against making the world a safer place?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join