It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN Announces Important Press Release - TODAY, Dec. 13th

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Update on the search for the Higgs boson by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN

A seminar will be held today at CERN at which the ATLAS and CMS experiments will present the status of their searches for the Standard Model Higgs boson. These results will be based on the analysis of considerably more data than those presented at the summer conferences, sufficient to make significant progress in the search for the Higgs boson, but not enough to make any conclusive statement on the existence or non-existence of the Higgs.

The seminar begins at 14:00 CET. The auditorium in which the seminar will be held is reserved for CERN personnel and researchers from the laboratory's user community, but a video stream will be relayed to another auditorium in which scientists will be on hand to answer questions.

At 16:30 CET CERN management and representatives of the two experiments will be available to take questions from the media. Journalists wishing to attend should register with the CERN Press Office. Both the seminar and the following Q&A will be webcast. Journalists following the webcast may submit questions through Twitter using the hashtag #Higgsupdate.

A press release will be issued at 15.30 CET in which there will be links to photo and video material. It will be available here: press.web.cern.ch...

Text background on the Higgs, and a glossary of important terms in Higgs research can be found here:
press.web.cern.ch...

public.web.cern.ch...

sufficient to make significant progress in the search for the Higgs boson
.....This is making me curious, curious, curious

edit on 13-12-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

Indeed, although I fail to understand why someone who diggs bison, would be so it important...

What's that?? Oh, "Higgs Bosun"!!!! Well, well.... that is important, now isn't it...

Can't wait to hear what this is on about.....

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

The Higgs boson is the only elementary particle predicted by the Standard Model that has not been observed in particle physics experiments. It`s a kind of "brick" with which the universe might be made. This CERN experiment is trying to prove the existence of this hypothetical massive particle.

Read more about it here: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

Gotcha mate, well aware of that, appriciate the civility and all, just trying to give ya a bump, with some humour attached is all....

Very important physic's concern's here with this, I know....

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Oh, ok thx.....now I see why you said "bison" instead of "boson", LOL ...it has to do with your avatar

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I recall recently reading about an experiemnt at CERN involving subatomic particles in which they exceeded the speed of light, which if indeed true, and not an error within the testing equipment would massively open up our understanding of physics and what is actually achieveable.

The article is below:

www.bbc.co.uk...

If they have indeed caught a glimpse of the "god particle" this would be fascinating, great topic!
edit on 13-12-2011 by Nustle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nustle
I recall recently reading about an experiemnt at CERN involving subatomic particles in which they exceeded the speed of light, which if indeed true, and not an error within the testing equipment would massively open up our understanding of physics and what is actually achieveable.

The article is below:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Perhaps the annocement will relate to this.....

It would also force us to doubt all of Einsteins theories.
2nd

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Nustle

Well at CERN website they say they will talk about the status of their searches for the Standard Model Higgs boson.

They also say that these results will be based on the analysis of considerably more data than those presented at the summer conferences, sufficient to make significant progress in the search for the Higgs boson.

So I`m very curious about it even though they also say these results are still not enough to make any conclusive statement on the existence or non-existence of the Higgs.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

I think it is more likely for CERN to produce a Bison out of thin air than a Higgs Boson...

...and probably more worthwhile if they could.

I don't believe in the Higgs Boson....but i do like Bison as they are less likely to turn into a swarm of strange-lets that could turn the Earth into a quantum soup...

....hmmm Bison soup.

Cosmic..

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

LOL

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by needlenight

Well, Einstein might not be totally wrong when he uses the word "Relativity" ....This sure seems to be an universe of possibility and relativity .....mabe the only conclusion we can reach now

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Much "Meow" likely, the bison would make strangelets, of the hoof and horn variety, and of course, only when observed....however, perhaps these bison, would behave the same, no matter which prarie they roamed, as always though, only when observed....

As for the earth, me diggs that, so perhaps it is a "Diggs Bison" particle they will reveal after all....

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

Its fascinating, given what it would potentially mean, something that is quatifiable, and would essentially enable us to understand how the universe is composed, reinforcing teh thoeries behind the standard model. What I find even more intriguing is where this would then lead us in terms of our understanding of Space and manipulation at a sub-atomic level, there are so many things we dont understand or are simply incapable of comprehending. If we do find the Higgs then the standard model would be accepted and it would add confirmation to this specific theory, what would be more interesting is if we could not find it, then we would have to completely re-asses our understanding of how the universe is composed

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by freetree64

As for the earth, me diggs that, so perhaps it is a "Diggs Bison" particle they will reveal after all....
...Wow, your avatar might be the model of the universe: A brick wall of bisons

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Here`s another interesting video about Higgs Boson:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
More importantly; and something every one on here and in the scientific community seems to have missed is this...

Does a hissing bison taste like chicken?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

LOL, I think it tastes like a loaf of massive bread

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Too many jobs, too much money spent and too many established theories rely on the Higgs Boson being there, but all evidence to this point suggests it is not. I think the guys from CERN will be dangling a few carrots to maintain status quo.

... Call me cynical!

IRM

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Okay, I’ll call you cynical then. I’m sure there’s a long, long queue of physicists waiting to use the LHC for other purposes when the Higgs guys are done with it. It won’t go a-begging, that’s for sure. It’s not as if the world has a surplus of particle accelerators.

Trailers for this announcement have been all over the web for days now. The general consensus is that the CERN teams (two independent ones, on two unrelated experiments with the same objective) have got some very hopeful data, but falling short of certainty, suggesting that the Higgs boson has been found.

The invitees must be filing in for the conference even as I type this. I confess I am a little bit excited.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Another thing to remember is that the Higgs is one of many (around sixteen, I think) fundamental particles predicted by the Standard Model. Of these particles, all have been shown to exist except for the Higgs.

That tends to suggest, to my untutored mind at least, that the Model has some real-world credibility.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join