It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else really dislike TV?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
www.gocomics.com...

&

www.gocomics.com... (note the 2nd panel)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Yeah, I gave up T.V. years ago and haven't missed it.
I also gave up going to the Public Library because
it can not compare to the ease and breadth of info
available on the Internet.

Sad to admit that I also gave up certain relatives
and did not miss them much either.

Ditto for my job.

Oh yeah and I got rid of religion too.
I might add that the wife came pretty close , but things kinda worked out there.

So , let's see , what's left. Hmmmmm.... America , Earth
Oh well, I'll bet the feeling is mutal.

lol:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

Oh yeah,I hate that they can get away with this blatant practice!

Back in the analog TV days the FCC monitored broadcasts for this and fined the networks if commercials were louder than the program.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dezertdog
reply to post by ShadowLink

Oh yeah,I hate that they can get away with this blatant practice!

Back in the analog TV days the FCC monitored broadcasts for this and fined the networks if commercials were louder than the program.

Yep!..They basically said "no broadcast can exceed this level". The broadcasters said "Fine!" Then they simply put the commercial at the maximum prescribed level and lowered the levels on the program content. Now, to hear the show you have to crank the volume...Then, when the commercial plays it blows your freaking head off but at no time will it be higher than the FCC ruling

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
*mods: This should probably be in rant section*

I don't know how much longer i can handle cable television at all,
I'm glad i don't watch it that much.

The news is on now, the girlfriends on the phone, and im here in front of my computer. It was showing obama's speech as i walked by to go out on the deck. I watched it for a few seconds and couldn't do it,

Now Talking about some useless garbage..

Commercials too, i sit there and rip up every single commercial i see, i dont know, maybe im just an angry person or something

Remember, Take this drug to treat this specific issue, and gain 30 other issues that are worse than what you have. Talk to your doctor if you have suicidal thoughts or actions?? You have to be kidding me?

The only reason i watch it is for a few specific shows, and i dont even like that, i didnt have cable in my old place, i only got it because of the girlfriend.. aaand. I was much happier without cable, I had my own media server and watched stuff with no commercials, and no crappy news. The internet has all the news i need, I hear the spin every time i listen to the news, i wonder how people fall into this trap they have created, i see right through it like a pane of glass,

It just screams bullsh!t at me for some reason, Anyone else get the same thing?
edit on 8/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

Yet you're on the internet...an invention that's capable of everything the TV is, yet 1 million times more.

How Ironic?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I absolutely love the "How Its Made" TV program, one of the only entertaining shows for me anyways left on television. I am not sure why but I can watch hour of this show and not be bored with it, I just mute the commercials.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MahmoudAhmadinejad
I hate western TV. Especially the news channels, such as CNN & FOX

Why do they have to lie all the time. Infidels

The Prince of Persia!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
*mods: This should probably be in rant section*

I don't know how much longer i can handle cable television at all,
I'm glad i don't watch it that much.

The news is on now, the girlfriends on the phone, and im here in front of my computer. It was showing obama's speech as i walked by to go out on the deck. I watched it for a few seconds and couldn't do it,

Now Talking about some useless garbage..

Commercials too, i sit there and rip up every single commercial i see, i dont know, maybe im just an angry person or something

Remember, Take this drug to treat this specific issue, and gain 30 other issues that are worse than what you have. Talk to your doctor if you have suicidal thoughts or actions?? You have to be kidding me?

The only reason i watch it is for a few specific shows, and i dont even like that, i didnt have cable in my old place, i only got it because of the girlfriend.. aaand. I was much happier without cable, I had my own media server and watched stuff with no commercials, and no crappy news. The internet has all the news i need, I hear the spin every time i listen to the news, i wonder how people fall into this trap they have created, i see right through it like a pane of glass,

It just screams bullsh!t at me for some reason, Anyone else get the same thing?

Dude, I threw my TV out the window years ago..... Scratch that. I have a TV, but I ditched the cable. Only reason I still have a TV is for watching movies, anime, playing Xbox or whatnot.....

But yeah, I feel ya on this one.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
OP
I felt the exact way 8 years ago, did not want my kids to grow up with tv & felt that it was an absolute waste of time so the wife and I canceled our cable.

Its been 8 years. I still think some of the movies we watch are just as brain damaging & feel the need to cut back or stick to the good docc's.

S&F!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I agree. I spend more time reading and either doing puzzles.

Mainstream TV is so corny. Most of it has a cringe factor to it.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
T.V. free for 3 years. I don't miss it.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I dont watch much TV these days because I Just no longer watch anyhting filmed in wobbly vision.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
HOLY CRAP YES!!!!
You’ve compelled me to write before reading. I completely agree with you and know how you feel. I don’t watch commercials or too much news. I dvr the shows I like and FF though the commercials. Going to read you’re thread. I honestly have thought of saying the same thing here… Good Call

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

You little meanie!!

PHEEW...glad I never say I don't watch television...

Sorry about the double post
edit on 9-12-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

oh TV pisses me off beyond belief...I'm in your shoes but reverse...my hub is totally in to political BS...I just wanna find a nice way To tell him its just as real as...wwf wrestling use to be...yeah...

and the antidepressant coms...come on! Everybody has issues...a pill doesn't fix em! If I can make it through my day without poping a pill and having a breakdown why can't you! We should stop taking pills and let natural selection take place with antidepressants...heart medicine I can see but zoloft or cymbalta..please ...anything not life threatening on TV...the adds tell the story...its better to have the issue than the side effects. ...

the commercials are loud as he[[ its really stupid think Congress was spose to vote on bill or something...

repeats repeats.....more repeats.....never new episodes!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

As my earlier post said, the Net is very different from TV from a simple sociological perspective.
In TV, information is one way. The corporations and the state program you and all they have is viewer ratings. PArt of the reason is that the original technology is bad - it takes huge costs to produce a single minute. The average citizen will never have any control over programs or their timing.

On the Internet, you can write or post anything basically for free or very low cost.

On top of that, you can read most of the important stuff - news etc - in a short time for free on the Net. On TV, you have to listen to a guy talking (which takes a long time) and watch him too - which is a distraction.
This is also a huge difference in terms of psychology.

Now there is an overlap.
Regular TV watchers are more tolerant of watching TV newsclips on the Net.
I prefer to read what the guy says and watch any video or listen only if I decided I am really interested.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I don't dislike TV, I just don't watch it. Sure, an occasional DVD movie with popcorn, and the little one plays 360 games.

The TV is a form of brainwashing. It also leads to inactivity and obesity.

When I visit someone, and they have their TV on, I can't help but stare, and it feels like my brain is being sucked from my body. All the lies and fallicies that they program aren't noticable if you watch it all the time. I quit watching years ago. I don't miss it. There's always a good book to read.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Hate it that much that i dont watch it at all anymore, my mind is numb at the best of times, it does not need to be further numbed with all the crap that is on tv.

edit on 9-12-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
between all my fav vid sites, howard 100 and 101, coast to coast am, and my daily search for a new doc i haven't seen

i dont even have time for cable tv

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I did a thread like this a couple years ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I still feel the same way about it..

got the wife a ROKU and she loves it....

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join