It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did this former NASA astronaut accidentally reveal the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Many astronomers, physicists, astronauts, engineers, etc. in the field take it for granted that there are other civilizations out there, some probably more technologically advanced than our own. That is all he's referring to, not to any we specifically know about.

It stands to reason that at a certain point, when they are advanced enough, they start taking control of the physical threats from space that are all around them, namely asteroids and comets. We are just now entering the phase in our development where we can actually do that and we've begun with things like the WISE telescope surveys, one of which is specifically meant to find most of these kinds of dangerous asteroids. We also have ideas about how to save ourselves from an asteroid if we determine one is going to hit us, though we'd need at least a few years warning to get systems in place to deal with it.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

reading too much into things.. grasping for straws..

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

correct. It is all in the language, sadly people have been taught to interpret and not actually listen. So they assume he MEANT "any" and made a mistake and said "all" rather than assuming he actually meant "all." The same people who are interpreting what he said as benign, would simply interpret him saying something that fits with their view of reality as "the exact words he meant" but when it does not fit with their view of reality "he meant to say" is the phrase they utter. This means these discussions over language usage are pointless as the catch 22 is in play. The open mind listens, the closed mind hears.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
There is a stark difference between what he was implying and what you have inferred.

No planet-bound civilization survives a certain magnitude of asteroid impact. None.

Does that statement imply that there are civilizations that exist only as space-bound caravans? No, it doesn't.

You're inference seems to have drawn some opposition.

In defense of the astronaut, I suspect he is wisely advising the otherwise distracted-by-stupidity leaders of this planet that this is not an issue you can put on the back-burner. We had better come up with some reasonably achievable strategy to deal with this scenario... one that works for the civilization... not just a handful of useless eaters.

There... I have successfully implied a conspiracy.... have I not?

Well Max you have in a in yet another twist, in the quote "No planet-bound civilization survives a certain magnitude of asteroid impact" Since we do not have any record anywhere of a death of a civilisation from an asteroid, and certainly none from this civilisation, it might seem those words are speculative since included is "A certain magnitude" and while the odds on is mass extinction the actual event is not known as per this civilisation as yet.
The idea of civilisations transient in a vehicular manner in outer space is irrelevant to us rock bound dwellers since we don't as yet have any guidance system..

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
He was probably talking about in the future when we spread out- way in the future when we have the technology for such things.

Kinda like when we can open a holiday inn on titan, or a Disney on mars.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Oh you didn't hear? Common sense died yesterday i went to his funeral and everything it's really sad because i dont know what to do anymore.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality

Oh you didn't hear? Common sense died yesterday i went to his funeral and everything it's really sad because i dont know what to do anymore.

I am just replying to all sorts of people from Texas today.....aren't I? Well....at least your hair isn't 2 ft high and wide! LOL! I agree with you.

People really need to use more common sense. I know E.T. to be a reality.....but every little pic or vid or the massive multiple stories of abduction? Alot of people are lying! Nice Hair! Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

There is a bird on your avatar but this post is blind to me.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If he did admit the existence of higher intelligence beings, he wouldn't be the first one? I'm surprised that on ATS there are still people who doubt
Maybe because it can be highly distressful to learn this... More proof, evidence: rokkat.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think you read too much in to it.
What had me react was the "changing the evolution of universe" (or something like that im on my phone now, cant easily go back to check the exact words). It sounded bad to me, I mean theres probably not a good idea poking around in evolution, but in a scenario like this I guess you have to..

But maybe now it's me reading to much into it ;-)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join