It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major UK Winter Storm 8th/9th December 2011 - NOW WITH FORECAST IMAGES

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

Aye, it would take much worse than this to impose a (never ever even suggested before) travel ban - maybe with winds of 200mph?

It's just a bad storm. We've had them before and we'll have them again. Sadly. most times, someone dies.

Lets hope this time everyone stays safe.

edit on 7-12-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Aye, it would take much worse than this to impose a (never ever even suggested before) travel ban - maybe with winds of 200mph?

It's just a bad storm. We've had them before and we'll have them again. Sadly. most times, someone dies.

Lets hope this time everyone stays safe.

edit on 7-12-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

Guess they don't really worry about black ice on roads , straight line winds and white out conditions to much , perhaps taking a page out of other places , ah what the heck it is only suppose to last a few days .

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pinkstarbuck

Try not to worry. At the moment South will see wind and cold but not unusual for this time of year. I haven't been put on alert, (part of emergency Team, floods etc) I will let you know if that changes. Hopefully it won't get as far as you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Well to be fair, black ice isn't a major issue given the weather conditions. And whiteouts are nigh on impossible at low level. Obviously it's the winds which are the real worry.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Well to be fair, black ice isn't a major issue given the weather conditions. And whiteouts are nigh on impossible at low level. Obviously it's the winds which are the real worry.

Those were only 100k winds .

www.westernwheel.com...
www.globaltvedmonton.com...

edit on 7-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I've heard the term "calm before the storm", but this is the first time I have witnessed it.....it's gone quite peaceful outside at the moment in the far north west of England.
edit on 7/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'm in Hull, UK so i'll have to ride it out I suppose!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Just enjoy?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Seen the weather report images today,doesnt look good,as anyone on this site from the uk will know this just means delays,cancellations,airport closures in the country,not to mention (maybe different for your area but it sure is in mine!)the road damage,some of which on the local roads around my area are still ruined from last winter!!

Anyone for a yellow snow-cone??

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Greetings from the NW coast of Ireland right in the path of this monster. Things are very calm here right now. 3c light breeze but you can feel it coming. Laying in bed here typing on iPhone so excuse grammar. Forecasted strongest winds for here tomorrow Thursday were upped by the Irish met service from 135kmh to 140kmh a little while ago.
Peak wind speeds should occur around 2-3pm tomorrow afternoon. (dangerous as that's school closing time for the junior schools here). High tide is expected at around 4pm with and expected storm surge of up to 3meters in places.
We are kinda used to stormy conditions ( e.g last nights peak gust was 93kmh and few even raised an eyebrow) but this storm is just that bit stronger than we are used to.
Etched in people's minds are events like 'the night of the big wind' in the 1800s (google it) and in more recent times the visit of 'hurricane' Debbie. So we know what can happen.
I'll try and update you all as the storm hits tomorrow a.m. Winds will begin to build shortly and I'll get a vibe as to how bad things will be when I wake at 7am. Wish us luck.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I live 10 mile from the forth rail/road bridges. Near the sea, or the intake of the north sea.
And let me tell you, last year was the worst weather I can remember. Couldnt move my car, shops closed for days. We had to get baby powder delivered by a government offical because we couldnt get to a shop. I live on the outskirts of the city.

Bring it on !

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads-up, I have forwarded this around in case it does turn out bad

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Be safe my UK brothers and sisters.
Stay inside and drink hot cocoa

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I've heard the term "calm before the storm", but this is the first time I have witnessed it.....it's gone quite peaceful outside at the moment in the far north west of England.
edit on 7/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Same. And same.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Holy hell, posting from central VA here and my area just got rocked with some pretty gusty winds and heavy rainfall. It was enough to wake me from my sleep. Power even flickered a little. Didn't expect that at all tonight

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am right in the middle of where this is going to hit. I will (if I can) keep you posted. If its REALLY bad I will take some video and post it. I hope its not THAT bad. I have to sons at college tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

yea i thought the exact same thing walking home at midnight
im in the NW UK and what a beautiful night
some low clouds but mainly clear skies and the stars, moon, and jupiter are shining bright its amazing!
i love bad weather it makes me feel alive in some way i just hope there is no real catastrophies but i will enjoy listening to the winds

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here in Newcastle coat sales have gone way up on any other year on record it's that cold. Someone actually bought one... Might have been a gift though.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I think the wind would get to me the most! I am in Colorado, US right along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. It has been winter here for a little while and gotten down below 0°F, I think it was -6°F a few nights ago. Right now it's a balmy 23°F (-5°C) out! LOL It can be deceptive here though, it could be bright and sunny, but below zero degrees!

I have a friend who traveled back to England, she is English and stays there half the year. I bet she thought she was going to get away from this cold wintery weather by heading back home! LOL The wind is what is the worst, even when your inside and warm, it is unsettling at best. Further north of us it is common to have extreme wind (up in Wyoming) to where they will close roads, especially in the winter! In the winter the winds will blow snow and ice across the roads and make them impassible. I love it in the spring time when it actually warms up enough to rain, even if it is freezing cold rain at least it isn't snow! LOL

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Ok, I'm in the USA.I'm sitting here just thinking about how last week here in the Western US we had almost the exact same type of storm. Winds gusting to 75 miles per hour some other places clocked 85 Mph. blowing snow, Temps in low teen , to -4 in some places in New Mexico. The jet steam was from the north went over California turned right at Arizona went over New Mexico and into Texas. some people have died during this storm already, there is no official count as of yet. There was very little mention in the US media of this storm. though mostly reported by local weather news station. Interstate 40 and 25 Both major interstate highways in the USA were partly closed though sections of New Mexico , Arizona and Texas at times , then sometimes closed and shut down completely.

What you just described OP is the same storm that hit the Western U.S. a few days ago.

what are the chances for almost the exact same storm in the UK?

I thought the storm we had could have broken up by now. Think is possible it's the same storm?

edit on 8-12-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join