It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a piece of the rock

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Glad to see you didn't dissapear!!!! I decided to do a little experimenting of my own and if you check beside the large totally black rock in the first or second picture there is a little rock. It had a silver stripe on it where we broke it off the larger rock.
I have been a cook most of my life and I know when silver touches acid it turns black. Sooo, I put that little piece in vinegar. I will post the picture of it after I eat my pizza. But clue it turned black and the parts that are not silver or silver colored show up more.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by copperhead12

Nice work!!! I didn't even think of that. Just wash you hands before you eat that pizza

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Not terrific pics but maybe you can get something out of them. Yea I washed my hands before pizza and before I wrote to you.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Wonder where the meteorite man is?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

The ones I chat with are mostly geologists, they will be very familiar with components of meteor-wrongs.
The will not decide on looks alone, if interested they would want a sample.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I will also say however that the granular texture shown on the metallic core is definitely not something I'd expect to see in a meteorite, and it on that picture alone i would discount the meteor theory. For meteorites should either have a crystalline structure or if you are lucky enough to find one with a metallic core then these grains should have fused together into one homogenous lump due to heat on entry into the atmosphere. Also having 2 tons worth of meteorite would indeed be a lucky find.

Granular texture is the norm for most chondrites, aubrites and CC's An iron or pallasite would never crack in half if you tried to hit it, even with a sledge.

Most meteorites fall cold. They usually explode when they hit the 60 mile wall, and the remaining stones heat on the surface due to friction and develop the thin fusion crust. Inside, they have never felt the heat of entry. Of course, not the case for something that smacks the earth and makes a crater, usually destroying it or creating molten shrapnel.

I agree that having 2 tons of real meteorites would be astounding, but not unheard of , especially if her friend's father had located a strewn field and collected all he could find, still... not likely.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Ok, some real interest. They want a sample. If you U2U me, I will give you an address. I will pay you $20 for your trouble and shipping. If you have a paypal account, that would make it easy.

A small chip, tiny, like the little piece that chipped of the larger piece you had showed in an earlier post is all that would be required. The sample will be mostly destroyed in testing so it won't be returned.

Again, sorry I thought you were a guy, just not thinking.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

Granular texture is the norm for most chondrites, aubrites and CC's An iron or pallasite would never crack in half if you tried to hit it, even with a sledge.

Most meteorites fall cold. They usually explode when they hit the 60 mile wall, and the remaining stones heat on the surface due to friction and develop the thin fusion crust. Inside, they have never felt the heat of entry. Of course, not the case for something that smacks the earth and makes a crater, usually destroying it or creating molten shrapnel.

I agree that having 2 tons of real meteorites would be astounding, but not unheard of , especially if her friend's father had located a strewn field and collected all he could find, still... not likely.

Thanks for the info. Like I said I am definitley not an expert on meterorites and everything I have said is purely based on my own speculation and limited experience with meteors that I've had, and I'm sorry to have misled you guys from the start although it was not intentional. None of the three meteors I have are magnetic. I guess the texture and how much heat had effected it would also depend on the size of the rock going though the atmoshere?

It does appear though that these rocks are mainly silver ore though, as much as I would love for you to have 2 tons of meterorite though.

........meteor-wrongs......

Love this line

Charlyv you really should start a thread about 'meteor-wrongs', I'm sure it would be very popular

Originally posted by charlyv

Ok, some real interest. They want a sample. If you U2U me, I will give you an address. I will pay you $20 for your trouble and shipping. If you have a paypal account, that would make it easy.

A small chip, tiny, like the little piece that chipped of the larger piece you had showed in an earlier post is all that would be required. The sample will be mostly destroyed in testing so it won't be returned.

This seems really exciting, and they're paying you I assuming if its a destructive test you would get all the information you would want and more.

Hopefully one of you two posts this info on this thread once you get the results. I think you owe us all this much

edit on 9/12/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Okay, charleyv See you on the u2u if I can figure out how. Newbie here!
Little Wolf if it comes back not from outer space I can send you a piece too.
I will definately let everyone know what it is.
Both of you are terrific. I appreciate all your help
And--showed a piece to a neighbor and his opinion was a concentrated mass of Coors beer cans.
I am betting on you guys.
Charleyv forget the $20 it is worth it to find out.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

charlyv --tried u2u but spelled your name wrong. someone else may have got it!!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Okay guys, I exagerated the 2 tons. I always said I had that much because when you are loading a pickup load of REALLY heavy rocks it seems like two tons. Honestly, I do not know how much I have. I would guess less than a ton but enough to make a pickup squat.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by copperhead12
reply to post by charlyv

charlyv --tried u2u but spelled your name wrong. someone else may have got it!!

Go to the bottom of charlyv's info thingy on the left of one of his posts where it says 'member' in blue.
A drop down menu should appear when you hover over it and 2nd from the bottom it says 'send message'. Click this.

That is probably the easiest way to send him a message

edit on 10/12/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

This seems really exciting, and they're paying you I assuming if its a destructive test you would get all the information you would want and more. Hopefully one of you two posts this info on this thread once you get the results. I think you owe us all this much

I find it exciting as well, and worth checking it out. You can bet that the results will get posted.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Go to the bottom of charlyv's info thingy on the left of one of his posts where it says 'member' in blue. A drop down menu should appear when you hover over it and 2nd from the bottom it says 'send message'. Click this. That is probably the easiest way to send him a message

Thanks for your help on that. It all worked out well.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Thanks again to all who have helped. And endured my stupidity!! The rock will be tested and we will let everyone know the findings. 1lil wolf, if not meteorite, then you get a chance at it.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hello,

Update. The samples have been received (Thanks!) and are currently being tested by
the New England Meteoritical society. This includes petrologic tests done in a spectrum analyzer, which vaporizes the material and gives a true readout as to it's composition.

I will post results as soon as they come back. It may take a week or so, due to holiday time, but it will be done and the results will be conclusive.

Regards,
CharlyV

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Oh, charlyv, you are the best!!! Hope it is worth a quadrillion but if not just knowing what it is will make my Christmas brighter.
I have been wondering what it is for nearly 20 years, a week or two is no problem!!! Thank you and all your friends.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Almost forgot, Charlyv, do not disappear!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join