It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more fish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This isn't particularly new but I think its startling and worth looking at because it shows whats going on in our oceans. All the fish are dying from overfishing, pollution, food chain disruptions, and maybe other reasonss

These images were taken from the same display board, from the same dock, from the same recreational fishery in Key West, Florida. The board displays the largest trophy fish that were caught that day. You can clearly see that with time, the "largest" caught fish get significantly smaller and smaller.
Source:
cmbc.ucsd.edu...

The top picture is from 1957, the bottom is from 2007.

What are we doing to our oceans????

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Is it possible this catch brought in fish that weren't fully grown?
Think I'd need to see daily averages over time to make a call there, or ask an experienced fisherman.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

The same thing we do to our forests and all other natural resources, allow an unhealthy drive for profit to rape and plunder them. I am not talking about making a little money either, I am talking about management of our systems that ensures their propagation and health for now and the future. But the drive for profit has transcended viability, and turned into pure greed, without consideration for the big picture.

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

Like the rest, we let corporations dictate what to do with nature.

I even heard somewhere that a corporation is on purpose, fishing all red tuna until they don't exist in oceans anymore so that they can hold the monopoly on them later on.

The movie The Corporation is right, they are psychopaths.
Are we willing to sacrifice our current comfort for the life of future generations?
edit on 4-12-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
You are comparing apples to oranges with the pictures. For one you are comparing two totally different shark species in the photos. The top photo looks to be from a deep sea fishing excursion, and the bottom looks to be from an offshore fishing excursion.

edit on 12/4/2011 by SpaDe_ because: ...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There is definitely a downward trend in the population of fish in our oceans.

Exploitation of wild fish stocks rose rapidly during the 1970s and 1980s, thanks to expanded fishing fleets, new fishing technologies, and increased investments in the fishing sector. Global capture of fish for food jumped from 44 million tons in 1973 to 65 million tons in 1997. By the late 1980s, however, the stocks fished by many wild-fishing operations were fully exploited and even overexploited. Since then, despite increases in investment and fishing capacity, fish production from wild fisheries has slowed or stagnated.

www.ifpri.org...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
You are comparing apples to oranges with the pictures. For one you are comparing two totally different shark species in the photos. The top photo looks to be from a deep sea fishing excursion, and the bottom looks to be from an offshore fishing excursion.

edit on 12/4/2011 by SpaDe_ because: ...

Maybe that's all they could get...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
There are definitely problems with the over fishing of many species – look to the collapse of the Atlantic cod in the 1980s and the current critically endangered bluefin tuna.

The problem is unmanaged and possibly illegal fishing with trawler fleets hoovering up vast quantities of everything in an unsustainable manner. Don’t get me started on shark fin soup.

At the rate we are going, there is a good probability that some oceans will become fishless.

Terrible thought.

Regards

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

Uhmmm?

Here is a HIGHLY SANITIZED picture to get the point across ...

Take a Guess!

Personal Disclosure: I am going to miss tuna so much!
I however will NEVER eat fishfingers ever again!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Florida, huh? Meanwhile I'd like to see the current state of sea life over in the Pacific lately

Fukushima
Nuclear Fallout
Eastern directed winds
Ocean absorbed most of the fallout

How are the fish doing there I wonder?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
also
fish bite by the moon so if you are fishing every day you will find the biggest fish and the smaller fish are caught
predictibly through the cycle

however fish are declining there is no doubt

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

It might be old news but seems like a lot of people still don't get it.

S&F&
......Keep posting - please!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
As I highly experienced fisherman and spearfisherman I can definitely vouch for this with the evidence of my own eyes. I was a kid in the seventies and eighties and watched exactly this happen. I can remember when we could catch fish till our arms wore out. Used to be able to throw a clam rake tied to a rope in the water and drag it back full of clams. We even could catch eels at the old millrace on string and a safety pin and a worm.

I recall sailing from New London to Block Island, about thirty miles, and seeing over thirty large sharks, big enough and close enough to us to see them. Last time I made that trip a few years ago, we saw exactly NONE.

Those days are way gone, now. And I've seen videos of back in the thirties and forties, fish were practically jumping in the boat everywhere in the world. And actually, it had been like that for the entire history of the world, until this century. We are destroying the oceans. For example, the Grand Banks, the most productive fishing grounds in the world, are basically FISHED OUT.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yawn!... so sleepy. I have been awake for to long to care much about things and the thing called life, and all the little fishy's in the oceans. But I suppose I will make a half ass'd effort.

Hey Partygirl!
Yup your right, and yes it's been said before... somewhere... somehow... at sometimes... in someplace's...by whomever... or whatever---> But alas! for the life of me! I can't really remember much about it all at this particular moment in time.

Though I think it went something like this.

"Teach a man to fish and he will fish the oceans dry...unknown."

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
build a fish a fire and you keep him wrm for one night
set a fish on fire and you keep him warm for life

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Good subject. I agree, fishing stocks are seriously depleted. Not much being done about it either in the way of fighting back. Oh, except these brave souls.

As the third largest economy in the world, it makes little sense politically and economically for the Japanese fleet to return to the Antarctic to whale. The Sea Shepherd press release suggested that the Japanese whaling fleet’s motivation has shifted from hunting the endangered whales to simply refusing to surrender to the pressure from wildlife conservation groups. Furthermore, the Japanese government has refused to back down from Sea Shepherd, designating $27 million (AUD) to boost security for the upcoming fleet as a precaution.

Source of emissions

edit on 4-12-2011 by intrptr because: spelling...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
In Moreton Bay you are not allowed to take Female crabs the problem is that so many males have been taken they no longer populate the traps.
Fish sizes I have personally witnessed a reduction in catch sizes over the last 10 years.
I am concerned that those who make a living from fishing may soon be out of a job.
Massive overfishing is something we can potentially all agree is the issue.
Many other reasons listed above.
How do we stop before to late?
Not sure if it is possible. I think there needs to be a subsidy taken from a seafood tax which is injected directly into fish farms where the fish are released into the wild.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This kind of thing was prophesied by our Lord many, many, years ago. And not just stuff like this particular thread, but all the stuff we hear and read about how the animals are dying left and right.

Hosea 4:1-3(KJV)
1Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel: for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.
2By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood.
3Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
"Thou shalt not kill". We let "technology" rape the deep/oceans, too. It should have been simply joy of using the fisherman's net and harvesting only what is needed from the shores (i.e. fishes with scales). If death of an ecosystem is what humans want, then humans too can die from lack of food/fish, too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join