It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD Descends on Occupy LA and Destroys an American Flag

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

In this short clip, you'll find cops attempting to clear out the camps in Occupy LA. Also, it shows a cop ripping an American flag. Now don't get me wrong I don't care about flags in general, but I kinda see this as two things:

1) The cop who ripped the flag was trying to get it down by orders of clearing out the camp and somehow ripped it by accident.

2) The cop ripped the flag on purpose.

Either way I saw this as odd seeing as a cop, if anyone else IMO, besides the military, to treasure the American flag. So guys your thoughts?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
So it was an accident or on purpose?

Hmmmmm

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If he cared about our flag he would have taken it down with respect.

Sign of the times.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
That flag's lucky it didn't get pepper sprayed first!
Come on..seriously? Yanking down and tearing the American Flag? That cop had better be glad there wasn't a Marine nearby when he did that....

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
why would they stop the video there?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

If any of those cops had respect for the flag, they would have refused to obey orders and joined the movement.

Cops are just mercenaries for the government.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

I think we need something to compare this with ...

Here! ...

Please NOTE the difference in ATTITUDE!

Personal Disclosure: For just this once ... Thank You Fox News! :shk:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My personal beliefs on this is the same as the late great George Carlin.

"The flag is a SYMBOL and I leave symbols to the symbol minded".

That being said, this is enough to shock even me.
Why?
Because, while I personally have no use for symbols such as the flag I realize that
most people do and an act such as this speaks VOLUMES as to where we are and where our freedom stands in this country. These pigs don't give two squirts of piss about the constitution, your freedom,our country,liberty,
or civil rights. They sure as hell don't give a crap about some damn flag.

This IS the police state that Alex Jones has been railing on about for years now.
News flash, It is going to get much MUCH worse!

"You aint seen nothin' yet"!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
So let me get this right, if you protest and burn a flag you are a super hero exercising your rights

But when cops destroy a flag it is "wrong"? Pick and choose...pick and choose...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

Explanation: If the cops want the badge them they had better be PERFECT in all things they do or they are being hypocrits!

Personal Disclosure: The cops are a completely different demographic to 'we the people' and get held to a completely different standard.

Now if they were a part of the 'we the people' demographic they would be Occupying instead of moving people on and clearly they are not doing that so their own trashy actions tar them greatly!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Explanation: If the cops want the badge them they had better be PERFECT in all things they do or they are being hypocrits!

How are they "hypocrits"? If they were arresting people for destroying the flag then i suppose they would be hypocrites but where exactly does it say that it is somehow against the rules to destroy a flag? You know it is unconstitutional to prevent anyone from destroying a flag, right? The constitution and law are not things that only get applied when you agree with it.

Personal Disclosure: The cops are a completely different demographic to 'we the people' and get held to a completely different standard.

Not true at all, cops are "we the people", I do not see OWS complaining when police officers join the "99%" is it the freedom of association that you wish to restrict?

edit on 1-12-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Samuel Johnson said that "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel," and there are a lot of people who hide behind flags, dress themselves in flags, live in houses painted like flags with flags flying from every rooftop in order to avoid facing the negative consequences of their actions.

What do you expect to be done about it? Everything comes to a halt just so all the pretty flags can be properly taken down and folded up? Please be realistic.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Explanation: Hypocracy has nothing to do with the law!

If the cops are standing in riot gear and then going home and coming back to occupy as off duty cops then yes then they are being hypocrits!

Its all about the cops attitude!

They had no problems ripping down the American Flag as if it ment nothing to them and that goes directly to their ATTITUDE!

This individual cops attitude was not congruent with how the flag is supposed to be treated [which is not backed up by law] and that sends a PR message to 'we the people' !

Personal Disclosure: The cops don't get to have it both ways!

It seems the cops actions were directly restricting freedom of association of the 'we the people demographic' in that vid supplied in the OP!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Explanation: Hypocracy has nothing to do with the law!

You brought it up

If the cops are standing in riot gear and then going home and coming back to occupy as off duty cops then yes then they are being hypocrits!

Statement: Tell that to them, i do not see OWS complaining
link: www.occupypolice.org...
Suggestion :Yeah and it is "hypocrites" occupy a dictionary.

Its all about the cops attitude!

Question:What?????

They had no problems ripping down the American Flag as if it ment nothing to them and that goes directly to their ATTITUDE!

This individual cops attitude was not congruent with how the flag is supposed to be treated [which is not backed up by law] and that sends a PR message to 'we the people' !

Statement: But like i said earlier, question: it is okay for OWS to burn a flag but wrong for the police to tear one down?

Personal Disclosure: The cops don't get to have it both ways!

Statement: They are not having it both ways, please explain what you mean by this because now im getting confused.

It seems the cops actions were directly restricting freedom of association of the 'we the people demographic' in that vid supplied in the OP!

Question: How so?
Statement: They were not restricting the association of the "we the people demographic", you are making that up.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

Sign of the times.

It doesn't mean what it used to. Rip it down and piss all over it, flags don't mean anything to me anyway. Holding an american flag ain't going to get you into heaven, it would probably get you banned from heaven.

America went to the dogs the day the ridiculously wealthy began buying politicians votes. Now we got people living in boxes and the big baks are stealing peoples homes in shady foreclosures so they can resell the houses for 3 times the money. This what we call the american dream? You'd have to be dreaming to believe in it.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

This video should be the "poster child" for what is going terribly wrong in the United States. I fear it may be to late to turn the tide back in favor of "Government of the People, for the People and by the People".

What they did is simply disgusting. But it is unquestionably the most apt example of what we're fighting against.

Rise up children! Rise up and reclaim your birthright, before it's to late...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: S&F!

I think we need something to compare this with ...

Here! ...

Please NOTE the difference in ATTITUDE!

Personal Disclosure: For just this once ... Thank You Fox News! :shk:

Propaganda is so funny.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Statement: But like i said earlier, question: it is okay for OWS to burn a flag but wrong for the police to tear one down?

Before I begin, I wish to express my curiosity on your choice to pick such an odious avatar. Surely, users of ATS see this and the content of your words and jump to the conclusion that you are flagitious. At any rate, avatars are just that, and in my mind they will stay that way.

In the above quoted statement, you compare a flag being burned to a flag being destroyed. There is a very significant difference between the two. Are you aware of the proper way to dispose of an American flag? Thats right, you burn it (aka retiring a flag). Obviously, you were never a scout, as you would know this.

cops are "we the people"

Not true, at least in partial. Cops, while in uniform, are public servants; and thus lack the rights of civilians while in uniform. Same goes for soldiers, otherwise they would be allowed their free speech. Instead they are told not to voice any negative opinions of the decisions of their superiors. If they do, they can be court marshaled, hence lack of free speech.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The OWS protesters burned a Symbol, a symbol which they recognize as powerful, one that by burning they made a statement with.

The cop tore the flag cause he didn't give a *&*&, I gotta side with the protesters burning it, They atleast recognized the object they had in their hands means something.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join