It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do some Christians wear crosses around their necks?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Your missing the big picture really. When the first churches were first founded nearly 2000 years ago, they all had multiple quarrels, all circulating around small petty human things. Arguing about wearing a cross would fit right into those categories.

You see Jesus does not care what is on the outside, because what is on the outside should be a reflection of what is on the inside. That is what the Lord looks at, the inside of a man, where their hearts are at. This could be said of all kinds of things from tattoos, to clothing, to jewelry etc. As long as your not blatantly wearing something that goes against God or could offend others obviously. (This is referred to as spiritual freedom, where honestly spiritual freedom in Christ is acually held back by christians themselves, which leads many to believe that all christians are boring, or think inside the box, or that a relationship with God is all just rules etc.)

So if your wearing a cross, a triangle, a moon, anything really, whatever meaning your heart puts into it is what counts. I wish non christians (and even some confessed christians) would see that God does not judge on some kind of checklist that everybody hits or miss. It is based on a personal level, on where your heart is, not what your wearing nor if your history behind everything "religious" was accurate or not.

Edit: Also wanted to mention that a cross or crucifix doesn't have one universal meaning, it depends on the persons view. I actually knew a satanist in high school that wore a bunch of crucifixes around his neck because he liked to be reminded of when Jesus "was where he belonged" as he quoted it. Personally I dont like to wear jewelry, but I do have a cross in the living room. When I look at it, it reminds me of where I can lay all my sins, and troubles and burdens down on. It reminds me of what the Lord did, and is still doing. Again, its not the cross itself, its what it reminds me of, so I could put up anything really. Its whats in your heart.
edit on 2-12-2011 by HonestHerb because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2011 by HonestHerb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

"Paganism" (which is a b.s. term, but one I'll use for the simplicity of this thread), has always had it's hand in the spread of Christianty, beginning in Northern Africa not long (within 30-60 years) after Jesus' alleged death.
The > ✝ < wasn't accepted as a defining "Christian" symbol until around the 6th century A.D. in Rome.

[eta]
Do you have a link to a 1st Century Christian Ossuary depicting a cross? The only ones I've ever seen have a floral or wheel design. I'm not disputing your claim, as I've already explained why a cross might appear on one, I'm just interested in the subject and would like to see one.

edit on 2-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
A better question;

Why do religious people refer to Jesus and God as "He", or "His" and such.

Do you realize you're breaking the English language?

I'm sure you aren't being given any special consideration for emphasizing your deity through written word.

In fact, if you were told by God himself that you aren't going to heaven, would you still be as religious as you are now?

Doubtful. In this way, maybe you can recognize that your pursuit for God's favor is indeed selfish by its very nature.

Selfishness is a sin. So all the reasons that you fear God are in fact ultimately done for self-preservation alone.

Fearing God by itself should tell you that you fear punishment, which in turn causes you to shy away from bad behavior etc.

Have you enjoyed being completely manipulated by religion?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
As a graphic designer I'd say it's because every corporation needs a logo for branding their product.

This way it'd immediately recognizable to everyone regardless of their language. Supporters of the corporation/users of the product are duped into thinking it's cool or a status symbol, wearing the logo as a form of advertisement.

No different than a t-shirt with the Nike "Swish", the UnderArmor "UA" or the Apple "Apple" ....

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic

Originally posted by daggyz
Very strange question becuase when he returns we instantly chnage (those still alive) so do you think we'll be still in our normal clothes and sinful bodies? Do you get what I mean?

I'm not sure why people see the need to wear crosses but an empty cross is better than one with Christ still on it like the Catholics wear. He isn't on the cross anymore but you'd think they'd realise that.

What makes an empty cross "better" than a cross with Jesus on it? You sound ignorant. Jesus might not be on the cross but when I wear my crucifix (with Jesus on it) I'm reminded of the sacrifice he made for me. Jesus on the cross or not, they symbolize the same thing. Jesus isn't on the cross anymore so why not just wear Jesus around your neck to remind you of what he's done for you and that he's there for you, it doesn't matter how what you wear around your neck looks like, as long as you know why you're wearing it. Nothing makes one or the other "better". To say one is better than the other because one has Jesus on it and one doesn't makes you sound uneducated.
edit on 1-12-2011 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2011 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)

No need for name calling....I am Protestant, non denominational. I prefer the empty cross as the symbol of my faith. You prefer the crucifix (with). That is your preference. You are a Christian, You are my brother (sister?) and that is all there is to it. Period 8*)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Yes, I have a cross which I keep on my mantle. I worship it. I pray to it for it's forgiveness. I ask it for world peace. I don't bother to read the Bible or go to church. I just worship my cross. Yep, me and my cross. Who needs God? My little gold cross holds all the answers.

You people are so full of yourselves. Must be nice to be at an age where you still know everything. Enjoy it while it lasts, because reality is waiting to crash your perceived brilliance. Do try to make yourselves look as foolish as little as possible. You will have to remember some of the things you said, you know.

NEWSFLASH: We celebrate Christ's birthday on December 25th, but that is not really the day he was born.

There ya go --------- have a field day. Make a new thread. But keep a look back over your shoulder! My cross might be after you!

edit on 12/2/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

Christian's Jihad ... have a nice day Lady .....

edit on 2/12/2011 by Burgo1010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Some of the post in this thread makes me ashamed to be apart of this site. The ignorance and hatred show by SOME in this thread is down right sad and pathetic. I understand some people choose not to believe in God but remember this non-believers.

I can't prove God exist but you cant can't prove he doesn't.

A wise person once told me

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.”

edit on 2-12-2011 by IPEEINTHESHOWER because: spelling

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The same reason you put a collar on your dog.

It is a symbol that you are the property of Christianity Inc.

Jesus' crucifixion is a good example of what happens when you mess with the moneychangers. Just like what happened with JFK. They kill you.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I mean it is common sense that the cross has become symbolic and a reminder of Jesus Christ suffering to save us from our sins.Where in the world is common sense today.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Nah, He said carry your own crosses.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Nah, He said carry your own crosses.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
They wear it as a symbol of their religion, in the same way Muslims wear explosive vests as a symbol of theirs.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
Yes I know modern day goth/wiccan jerks mis-use the ankh symbol, but they don't own it, it's still a good symbol which means, The Key of Life, Eternal Life, which is what Jesus is.
edit on 1-12-2011 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-12-2011 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

The Ankh is a different tool than the Cross. It's existence also dates back farther than the Cross as well.
edit on 2-12-2011 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

isn't it obvious? to insult atheists. and play with their emotions. duh!
excuse my french. toy with their emotions. there. corrected.
edit on 2-12-2011 by psyop911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss
A better question;

Why do religious people refer to Jesus and God as "He", or "His" and such.

Do you realize you're breaking the English language?

I'm sure you aren't being given any special consideration for emphasizing your deity through written word.

In fact, if you were told by God himself that you aren't going to heaven, would you still be as religious as you are now?

Doubtful. In this way, maybe you can recognize that your pursuit for God's favor is indeed selfish by its very nature.

Selfishness is a sin. So all the reasons that you fear God are in fact ultimately done for self-preservation alone.

Fearing God by itself should tell you that you fear punishment, which in turn causes you to shy away from bad behavior etc.

Have you enjoyed being completely manipulated by religion?

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I always thought I was a Christian because I understood that no amount of "nice" things I can do, will ever make up for the fact that I have broken God's laws. There is no way to earn God's favor. Jesus Himself took my well deserved punnishment 2000 years ago. Knowing that the all powerful God of Creation lowered HIMself, and died on my behalf is the only motivation for me to do "nice" things. Thanks again... I guess I was so confused

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
i just read through this thread and noticed none of the christians have responded to the numerous posts about how 'thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images'.. so whats the deal? does the cross or crucifix not count? why not?

and shouldn't the cross look like T not †

Prolly counts, but I wear one, and crystals, and an evil eye necklace, and a Hamsa, and I have statues of various deities Mary, Jesus, Quan Yin, Buddha, angels, family, scared objects.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Seektruthalways1

Some say tree.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The accurate answer to this question can be found online in some pretty easy Google searches. I would humbly submit by way of bullet points some starting points for the seeking that should be done on this:

1. The cross symbol was utilized by other religions long before YaHuW Savior died on the wood.

2. Constantine was fantastic at combining his sun god religion with that of the ChristiYAns for political reasons.

3. Our Savior said that there is only ONE thing he wanted us to do for Him in "Remembrance of Me"... Namely that we all remember through Pray and in Bread and Wine partaking His body sacrifice which is known to represent His Word and The Way, otherwise called The Bread Of Life, this is The Original Word of YAH which is the only untwisted and uncorrupted Scriptures on Earth that is not part of the Constantine or Yehudi corrupted bibles... In this too was His blood that was shed from the Body... The blood is The Renewed Covenant that He came to bring to all of mankind. The Restoration of The Renewed Covenant with mankind has only recently begun.

4. In the Eternal Covenant Words aka 10 Commandments it says that we are to not have Idols, not of anything on earth, below the earth or in the heavens.. ..... PERIOD.... But you see the religions of today have all said that His Eternal Covenant Words have been done away with so no wonder they out of one side of there mouth hypocratically want the 10 Commandments listed in various public places and then in the other side of there mouth say... Oh you do not need to keep the 4th Commandment any more... Its done away with... Yes our Savior Condemned ALL those who twisted The Eternal Covenant Words and tried to make them of no accord. He said I came not to do away with them but to fulfill them! Even to this very day the churches (from the root word circe which means sorcery and circus) insist on their idols and the fusion of ChristiYAn and Pagan worship to creat the Christian churches of today. These stem from The Catholic church which was the very ONE WORLD CHURCH.. After all, Catholic means Universal.

5. It does not matter in what configuration they killed YAHUW... Cross, Stake, X or any other shape. People just have a thing for idols... Its something they can hold and see and yet this flys in the face of The Faith that we are to have instead in Him and of Him and not the false elohim of Baal Worship that may come in many shapes or forms.

SEEK THE TRUTH... THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Burgo1010

How about introductions? That seems appropriate....I'll keep an eye out.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bjrichardson

I didn't name call at all. I only made some statements on how you sounded from my point of view. And I don't prefer, it was given to me, whether or not the cross around my neck has Jesus on it or not, the symbolism is the same, for the most part, to most people. I was born Catholic and attended a Baptist church most of my life. My youth group and friends at the church would ask me why I wore a Crucifix with Jesus on it, in the end they wore their Crucifix without Jesus on it for the same reason I wore mine with him on it. No differences, denominations and their perspectives on the same religion are just a way to segregate everyone, as if we as a people weren't segregated enough in our society. That is why I've pulled away from church and practice faith on my own, I gather my own perspective on God through personal experience and past views I gathered while being apart of two denominations. There are many things Christians as a whole believe in which I don't, but what matters the most is that we have faith in the same God, and yes especially that we are all brothers and sisters.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join