It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously? Senate Considering Repeal of Anti-Torture Measures

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Seriously? Senate Considering Repeal of Anti-Torture Measures

www.aclu.org

Yesterday, the ACLU and over 30 other organizations sent a letter to the Senate asking them to oppose an effort in Congress that threatens to revive the use of torture and other inhumane interrogation techniques. If passed, an amendment introduced by Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) to the Defense Authorization bill would roll back torture prevention measures that Congress overwhelmingly approved in the 2005 McCain Anti-Torture Amendment, as well as a 2009 Executive Order on ensuring lawful interrogations. It would also require the administration to create a secret list of approved interrogation tec
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
List of secret approved torture techniques... Well hell. I thought we were better than this. One thing I always wanted to believe is that the US is held to a higher moral standard (lets not derail on that statement). I really think Obama is going to just go ahead and try to get away with as much stuff as he possibly can. He seems worse than Bush. Shouldn't we be allowed to voice our opinions on what constitutes torture? Or at least know how far the govt. will go?

www.aclu.org

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Any of those senators who would consider voting for this should spend 6 months in an Abu Ghraib style prison being water-boarded every day and see if they still want to approve this. Even the CIA had admitted torture just didn't work and that standard interrogation was sufficient. If Michelle Bachmann wants this so bad let her be the first one water-boarded.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Is it just me?

We were all like - lol- thinking we were doing good keeping up with the occupy news and trying to stay informed and all- and like, our federal legislature was up there putting on the dark cloaks and getting out their darth vadar masks.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

There is an interesting point. Also the whole Iran nonsense. Also, right after Thanksgiving when most of us are fat and content.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
This whole thing is really starting to make me nervous.

This is the same bill that is being used to propose American citizens can be arrested and held indefinitely without charges. Now they want to propose using torture tactics on those citizens?

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on here about whether or not this applies to American citizens. I've read the proposals and there are enough loopholes worded into it that it could easily be used that way.

I don't like the direction this is taking one bit. Our best move will be to contact Senators and strongly urge them to vote against this bill in it's entirety.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I think all politicians should be required to go through rendition and "enhanced interrogation" procedures just as law enforcement are required to be tazered.

If they only made legal that which they themselves were willing to be subjected to... we would be a lot better country.

What has happened to my country? I feel like I woke up in some altered sci-fi dystopia...

Someone pinch me!

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
we've all seen how the law stops them from using torture now...

oops.. guess a few out there were still deluded enough to think the u.s never tortures anyone...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
I think all politicians should be required to go through rendition and "enhanced interrogation" procedures just as law enforcement are required to be tazered.

If they only made legal that which they themselves were willing to be subjected to... we would be a lot better country.

What has happened to my country? I feel like I woke up in some altered sci-fi dystopia...

Someone pinch me!

one of the best idea's that heard in ages..

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
So the whole Bush/Cheny/Rumsfeld thing was just a sneaky beta test...ready for it to be fully rolled out by congress once they deem they American people are dumbed down enough to bend over and take it.

If this passes the USA will have about as much credibility as say the Nazis,or Pol Pott's Khmer rouge.

Hell the cops are behaving like nazis every day,why not just make it legal for them to torture people properly?

This is totally disgusting coming from a country who claims to be all about freedom.
But that was never really the case after JFK was it?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Sen. Kelly Ayotte needs to be arrested NOW and charged with TREASON.

RIGHT NOW. Any cop/national guard/soldier need to rally his co-workers and go to Washington DC and arrest this scumbag. NOW.

Or better yet, wait for the vote in the house and senate and whoever votes for it gets arrested too.

Cops want to arrest criminals? There's no bigger criminals than these politicians.

Not even STALIN of all people put that kind of stuff on paper. Only the American government is arrogant enough to do it. I mean Stalin wasn't even crazy enough to say, on paper, that ``yes we use torture, yes we like it, so what?``

Apparently, the American government doesn't fear a war crimes tribunal.
edit on 30-11-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I hope that the Human rights movements oppose this, I also hope you guy's have enough senators with more brains than this guy.
I thought the US was trying to move forwards not backwards.
Change? change for the worse this will be.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
does anyone else but me see McCain as nothing but a sadist? I mean, after all the # he went through in Vietnam you would think he would be THE LAST person to advocate torture. Then again, maybe it simply satisfied a fetish of his.

/boggle

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Seriously, we all know Awlaki was a scumbag BUT he was still a US citizen & was killed on the personal orders of Obama. Why should anyone think for a moment that a bit of torture will keep them awake at night. If this bill passes (It wont) it will only be to ensure that even if the press or anyone else discovers what they are doing, they can turn & say "It's legal". Your Gov' doesn't care about you or what you think. I hope that will change but i can only surmise that you brought all this on yourselves & unless people are ready to do away with some of the little comforts (at least temporarily) It wont! Sorry if some people don't like to hear this but until we protect the least of us, the rest of us will get no better.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
As usual, the Senate doesn't give a flying *** about what we as Americans think. They know in general we are dumb enough to re-elect them regardless of what they do. Maybe after a few lower and middle class Americans get held for months and tortured, they will wise up.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Ayotte is a psychopath.

She wants to round up everyone into a massive gas chamber and pick and choose who can leave before the gas flows.

Her whole campaign was run on liberal use of the death penalty and she was backed by police departments all over the state.

I didnt vote for her. She, and lunatics like her, make America a miserable place to live.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

List of secret approved torture techniques... Well hell. I thought we were better than this. One thing I always wanted to believe is that the US is held to a higher moral standard (lets not derail on that statement). I really think Obama is going to just go ahead and try to get away with as much stuff as he possibly can. He seems worse than Bush. Shouldn't we be allowed to voice our opinions on what constitutes torture? Or at least know how far the govt. will go?

www.aclu.org

While I agree that torture is useless, (not to mention a crime against humanity) I have to ask, where in the hell do you come up with the assertion that Obama supports this amendment or that he's going to "try to get away with as much stuff as he possibly can?" You don't work for Faux News do you?

If you were being even half-assed honest about this subject, your thread title would be; "Senate Republicans Considering Repeal of Anti-Torture Measures." Let's take a look at just who's sponsoring this amendment and who has threatened to veto it.

irregulartimes.com...

Today, United States senators Kelly Ayotte, Saxby Chambliss, Lindsey Graham, and John Cornyn are promoting the approval of a new regime of extreme interrogation of prisoners, in excess of the approved techniques in the Army Field Manual. S. Amdt. 1068 to the 2012 Defense Authorization Act, sponsored by these four senators, would not just allow the creation of a set of interrogation techniques kept secret from the American people. It would require the creation of this secrecy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Kelly A. Ayotte (born June 27, 1968) is the junior United States Senator from New Hampshire and a member of the Republican Party. She earlier served as the Attorney General of New Hampshire.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

Clarence Saxby Chambliss, Jr. (born November 10, 1943) is the senior United States Senator from Georgia. A member of the Republican Party, he previously served as a U.S. Representative (1995–2003).

en.wikipedia.org...

Lindsey Olin Graham (born July 9, 1955) is the senior U.S. Senator from South Carolina and a member of the Republican Party. Previously he served as the U.S. Representative for South Carolina's 3rd congressional district.

en.wikipedia.org...

John Cornyn, III (born February 2, 1952) is the junior United States Senator for Texas, serving since 2003. He is a member of the Republican Party. He was elected Chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee for the 111th U.S. Congress.[2]

With respect to President Obama's position regarding the use of torture as a interrogation method, I would suggest you read the following article as well as Executive Orders 13492 & 13493, both of which were issued by President Obama for the purpose of closing GITMO, (unlawful detentions) and to end the use of torture as an interrogation method previously approved by the Bush administration.

politicalcartel.org...

Section 1 – The breadth of this order is to annul any changes to the policies (mainly Army Field Manual) of interrogation or detention that occurred under the Bush administration. These changes took place largely after 9/11, in response to some insolvent definition of the ‘war on terror’.

This effectively brings us back to Geneva Convention(s) notion of the international law of basic human treatment. Pulling from Article 27 “Protected persons are entitled, in all circumstances, to respect for their persons, their honour, their family rights, their religious convictions and practices, and their manners and customs. They shall at all times be humanely treated, and shall be protected especially against all acts of violence or threats thereof and against insults and public curiosity.”

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

No matter how much you would like to paint the picture that this is Obama "trying to get away with as much as he can," nothing could be farther from the truth. This proposed repeal of anti-torture measures is a republican initiative being supported by the same nutty bastards that supported our resident war criminal, G.W.Bush.

And to think that I thought that we were here to "deny ignorance," when in fact some here like yourself are promoting it.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Found the amendment...

S.AMDT.1068

To authorize lawful interrogation methods in addition to those authorized by the Army Field Manual for the collection of foreign intelligence information through interrogations.

Aka torture.

Sponsor: Sen Ayotte, Kelly [NH]
COSPONSORS(5):
Sen Chambliss, Saxby [GA] - 11/17/2011
Sen Graham, Lindsey [SC] - 11/17/2011
Sen Cornyn, John [TX] - 11/18/2011
Sen Inhofe, James M. [OK] - 11/29/2011
Sen Lieberman, Joseph I. [CT] - 11/29/2011

All these people are traitors.

I don't think it made it in the final bill thank god...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The amendment you are referring to is Senate Amendment 1068 to S.1287, Section 1038.

It asks for a classified list of acceptable interrogation techniques to be created, with the understanding that the techniques meet all requirements of the following laws:

(d) Specified Laws.--The law specified in this subsection is as follows:

(1) The United Nations Convention Against Torture, signed at New York, February 4, 1985.

(2) Chapter 47A of title 10, United States Code, relating to military commissions (as amended by the Military Commissions Act of 2009 (title XVIII of Public Law 111-84)).

(3) The Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 (title XIV of Public Law 109-163).

(4) Section 2441 of title 18, United States Code.

There are safeguards here, it's not Nazi Germany.

By the way, just what is being repealed?
edit on 30-11-2011 by charles1952 because: addition

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Well then, why make it secret if she has nothing to hide? Hell that's the same thing those bastards are telling us day in day out!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join