It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse! And so could you..... wait.... what?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Meat is meat.

Having some preconceived notion of how "cute" or "unfoodlike" horses are compared to cows, chickens, or pigs, is just silly. I can respect and understand anyone who decides "all" animals are worthy of life and "off the menu", but to eat meat WHILE placing horses on some pedestal above commonly farmed animals is just ridiculous.

Humans are amazing animals. When fed and fortified they will invent flowery ideals about some creatures while abusing and murdering others without a thought. But remove the food and the warmth of comfortable living and- heck they will even eat each other.

Screw horses...they are as much "food" as any other living creature we abuse.

Humans are the real pigs here.

PS- I will seek out this horse meat and enjoy it.

MM

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
What do you think, ATS?

Would you eat horse meat?

Personally, I wouldn't. I love horses and cannot imagine eating one for dinner. I have met quite a few horses in my life and they very idea that they could be farmed and slaughtered for their meat makes me sad. I know some could argue 'but we do it to this animal or that animal, why not horses too?'. For me, its just personal opinion.

I am interested in the opinions this topic will reveal.

To Daryllyn

Madam, I respect you a great deal, so please bear in mind my exasperated tone is not directed at you in particular but to the inundation of angry, emotionally based rhetoric I'm going to get on this.

Most of the horses that are slaughtered for human consumption do not go through the appropriate screening process to make sure they are safe to eat. Most horses are given regular de-wormings and vaccinations that very specifically on the package say "Not intended for animals to be used for human consumption." For that reason and that reason only I would not eat horse meat.

I personally have never sold a horse for slaughter. I have never run a horse through the "loose" (previously known as the "kill pens"); and not "lose", "loose" as in the horse is unfettered, since folks get those mixed up all the time. I know where my animals go, and often personally know the people I sell them to.

However, the close of the slaughter houses created a huge problem out here (Montana) where horses are still used to round up cattle. They have a job to do. When they are done with that job, many are retired as kids horses (light work), but if they are not suitable for that they are often sold for slaughter. The culture is still largely agrarian, and in that respect rather practical about animals, and as far as the state of Montana is concerned (regardless of how the Federal Government classifies them) horses are livestock, at least I pay taxes on them that way.

There are very few "rescues" out here for horses. These cowboys and ranchers aren't going to pony up (pun intended) for the Happy Hooves Retirement Center for the Old, Sick, Lame, or Insane. For the most part these are using/working animals and the culture does not often support feeding an animal that isn't pulling it's weight. Now, I have seen many sway-backed old codgers with their bran mash, and blanket. They don't have to do anything but stand there and get fed. They have done their time and are retired. They've earned it. But that is "A Good Horse". One that has done his job well, above and beyond, and will die on the ranch. That is the exception. Regardless, they need to have a "job" around here. Now if there were folks out here who would pick up an injured horse that is no longer suitable for riding, or a dangerous horse that shouldn't be ridden, and decide his only job would be to stand in the pasture and look pretty then most people would be more than happy to hand that animal off (scratch their head, and call them soft but...) The thing is, most folks here can't afford to make a $2000.00 a year commitment to an animal that isn't doing anything.

As a result of all of this the market crashed and for the last few years it isn't worth the cost of gas to haul them to town to run them through the sales barn, and no one local wants them, because they are all in the same boat. (There are weanling and yearling fillies going for $5.00.) I see alot of bony, stumbling, dying animals out here. Or, (which is arguably better) people shoot them. Or, they take them out onto BLM land and turn them loose. (Euthanizing a horse runs from $500.00 to $1000.00 for those who don't know. At least that is what our vets charge.)

The infrastructure to rescue horses, is largely non-existent here; the culture itself does not support it, and frankly, most people can't afford to donate to support such things. Here we have had an ideal that may very well be supportable in another culture thrust upon us, and it is making life more difficult for people and horses. I would much rather see them take a trip to Texas than suffer what many of them are suffering now.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

[color=mediumorchid]

To Daryllyn Madam, I respect you a great deal, so please bear in mind my exasperated tone is not directed at you in particular but to the inundation of angry, emotionally based rhetoric I'm going to get on this.

Thanks

And thank you for the reply. I remember corresponding with you about my son. I am happy to report that he can finally say his name and his speech has improved by leaps and bounds. There are still other issues, of course, but just that fact that he can now speak in paragraphs is absolutely amazing!

On topic:

I admittedly don't know much about horses or the rules/regulations that come with them. I would love to have horses one day because I think it would be fantastic for the kids to experience them and the work that comes along with them. But that is a dream that is long way off...

As a result of all of this the market crashed and for the last few years it isn't worth the cost of gas to haul them to town to run them through the sales barn, and no one local wants them, because they are all in the same boat. (There are weanling and yearling fillies going for $5.00.) I see alot of bony, stumbling, dying animals out here. Or, (which is arguably better) people shoot them. Or, they take them out onto BLM land and turn them loose. (Euthanizing a horse runs from $500.00 to $1000.00 for those who don't know. At least that is what our vets charge.)

5.00? Are you kidding? I had no idea of the troubles facing the horse market.

There are very few "rescues" out here for horses. These cowboys and ranchers aren't going to pony up (pun intended) for the Happy Hooves Retirement Center for the Old, Sick, Lame, or Insane. For the most part these are using/working animals and the culture does not often support feeding an animal that isn't pulling it's weight.

I find that troubling. I understand that it wouldn't be cost effective to keep a barn full lame horses, but also find it saddening that there aren't more options for the horses. I am an animal lover. Whenever I see those commercials asking to donate money to the ASPCA, I tear up a little and fight myself to not get my wallet out and just hand it over. What can I say? I am a sap.

I am glad you replied as I was really hoping to get the opinion of someone experienced with horses on this issue. So thank you for providing that.
edit on 30-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Mettwurst , salami , sausege , stake , ribs, smoked ,.. you name it

a horse is a meal off course

its a rare sight in the local stores but every now and then it can be found , at least here for every pound or kilo of cow meat you get 5 times the amount of horse , it might not be kobe but it sure tastes good ,

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm eating horse right now. Yummy.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Think big picture here, as in a SHTF scenario. Here big O just made it legal to eat horses again you know when all the other food sources become tainted or used up. Makes me wonder what he knows that we don't.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

[color=dodgerblue]Ahhhhhhhhh yes. *Dusts off her tinfoil hat* That is a very good question.

I wonder if there is more than meets the eye with this move?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

So if Humans are the real "pigs" here than I guess you'd think it would be okay for us to start chowing down on them? As you stated, meat is meat.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I've had horse meat while in South America. I thought it was delicious better then most steaks. If they do start selling it in the US which I doubt and its a cheaper and healthier then buying beef I will do it in a heart beat.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i would say eat what you got in front of you cause there's starving kids in china ....... but now there's starving kids EVERYWHERE, gimme that horse you waster.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

reply to post by redhorse

And thank you for the reply. I remember corresponding with you about my son. I am happy to report that he can finally say his name and his speech has improved by leaps and bounds. There are still other issues, of course, but just that fact that he can now speak in paragraphs is absolutely amazing!

I am so happy to hear that! Please feel free message me with more details.

5.00? Are you kidding? I had no idea of the troubles facing the horse market.

Nope not kidding unfortunately. Now, that is bargain basement, for "mid-grade" (or what would have been mid-grade) horses, but young/untrained females in that category are in some cases difficult to even give away these days. People abandoned the breeding ship, and particularly mares and fillies are just dead weight. No one wants them. Males are more marketable as geldings, because it is generally accepted that they make better riding animals, but even then I can pick up a yearling AQHA colt for as little as $25.00.

High end horses and some specialty markets are veritably untouched, or even in the last year have improved beyond what they were before the close of the slaughter houses. Which I feel was one of the covert intended results. Many of the "horseman" who pushed for the ban on slaughter are wealthy and/or breeding high dollar ($10,000.00 +) animals. They wanted to push out "back yard" breeders, (particularly with quarter horses and paints), which would lower the equine population specific to their market and raise the price of their animals. There is an elitist aspect to this within the horse community that has been disturbing, and the politics within the various endeavors and breeding organizations have been... entertaining.

Many people would breed and then sell to help off-set the cost of keeping their own animals, and because they loved horses and/or it was a hobby attached to the ranch. They would show and compete for fun as well; many at the "Professional" levels. When this happened, that was no longer a financial possibility and most have stopped breeding as a side hobby, or some even horses for their own use.

Also, please bear in mind that that $5.00 bottom is the local market, but it is that way from here to the Dakota's and Colorado, but there are alot of horses out here affected by this mess.

I find that troubling. I understand that it wouldn't be cost effective to keep a barn full lame horses, but also find it saddening that there aren't more options for the horses. I am an animal lover. Whenever I see those commercials asking to donate money to the ASPCA, I tear up a little and fight myself to not get my wallet out and just hand it over. What can I say? I am a sap.

Well sort of a sap, and that's ok. I'm a sap too. But I won't touch the ASPCA with a ten foot pole. I understand compassion. I feel we have a responsibility to these animals, but I also feel there is a contract, and both ends are required to keep up their end of the bargain. Also making decisions to support an organization based almost entirely on emotion causes problems, and these organizations are very good at eliciting an emotional response to get people to donate.

The ASPCA was one of the two key players in pushing the anti-slaughter legislation through (the other being the HSUS). Both of these organizations have a covert vegan agenda. Not just vegetarian but no "animal exploitation" what so ever. Look into it you will see. It's not that hard to find if you look into their leadership, but it is not the face they present to the public. Also, (as I said) they are very, very good at manipulating the public into an emotional response with out giving them all of the facts. Their actions in this have harmed horses in this area a great deal because the agenda wasn't about short term animal welfare, it never was. Ultimately it is about edging out animal exploitation completely. The horses that will die and suffer are just considered collateral damage in the interim of what they consider to be a long view war, and the people that are hurt by this don't matter to them at all.

There was a representative from the ASPCA that was interviewed about a year after the close of the slaughterhouses. The ASPCA told us over and over again that there would be places to put these horses. We told them what would happen. They felt confident that "Good Samaritans" would pop up all over to make Rescues to cover the need, or at least that is what they said. Well that didn't happen. When questioned on it, she simply said (paraphrasing the key points that really made me mad) that it was sad, but it would be better to shoot them, there were too many horses anyway.
edit on 30-11-2011 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I do not know in other countries, but in France, by law, all horses not specifically bred for meat have to be chipped. It must be done in the first year and the chip is entered into a national database.

This is to make sure that no horse bred for sport or pleasure can be slaughtered and used for meat. Even if they are stolen and brought to the slaughterhouse, they must be screened for a chip and rejected.

It also protects the farmers who raise draft horses for this usage and the food, medicines and products they ingest are regulated for that.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
We always have too many backyard breeders, that make horses that cannot live with humans due to faulty or negiligent handling, we get ones with birthdefects because of inter-breeding, injuries that leave them handicapped and/or in constant pain, these will always exist, and letting them go out to countries that are not going to deal with them in a humane manner is immoral.
I also think it is immoral to not let their flesh go back into the cycle of nature and be consumed by other animals, as it would have been in the wild, if the predators were able to cull out these specimens as needed (for the good of the herd and genetic line).

We killed off the predators and screwed up the natural balance. Now we have to do their job instead. We have the choice to do it in a conscientious and compassionate quick way, or close our eyes, and just let it be done by others who won't.

Thank you for this well written post. It's so nice to see somebody on ATS with a 100% clear head. In the science-related threads where I spend most of my ATS time it's rather exceptional.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
There's several fatting farms on the east side of Michigan that buy horses for next to nothing and fattn them up for Canadian processing plants. It's kind of a big business here. I bet a processing plant will br reopened that was just outside of Port Huron. Lots of good paying jobs

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
No,

We used to keep horses. I wouldn't eat them intentionally.

When I was in Sweden, I ate sausage made from horse meat. I didn't know it at the time.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
When I was in Sweden, I ate sausage made from horse meat. I didn't know it at the time.

Do you feel bad about that?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PatriciusCaesar

Turn vegitarian? Animals need to eat other living things to survive. Plants obtain nutrition from the energy of the Sun. Which is the higher developed life form?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Why not? We eat cow now...what is the difference?

I mean, why not eat dog, cat? Just because they are "Pets" they can be bread for food consumption, and, if you like the taste, then why not?

We eat Deer, Bear, Birds of many varieties. Why should horse be excluded?

When it comes to survival, humans will eat just about anything if necessary. Except, of course, each other.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
You don't have to do it. It's a lie. There is no such thing as spending bill H2112. It's just anti-obama bs.

Awe, and here I was salivating over a thick, juicy horse steak.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisIllusioned PatRiot
I've had horse meat while in South America. I thought it was delicious better then most steaks. If they do start selling it in the US which I doubt and its a cheaper and healthier then buying beef I will do it in a heart beat.

Have you ever had Bison meat? Now that my friend is way better than any beef I've ever had and it's healthier for you too.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join