It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curse of the Bambino (broken)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Why in American Sports do you refer to the championships as World Series etc?

Thats like saying the Barclaycard Premiership is the World Championship in Football (or soccer for our colonial friends
), very egocentric and puzzling....

I think it has to do with when it was started baseball was only played pro. in the US. So it would be the world championship for baseball because nobody eles in the world played.

Really baseball is the only sport with the word World in the Championship I think. We got the Superbowl,Stanley cup, Nextel cup,NBA championship

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Ahh, makes sense I suppose... but the Japs are big on their baseball now, do they play in the World series?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Red Sox are going to the world series, only to lose against the Cardinals or Astros. An NL team is going to win it this year...

hmmmmm....game 7.....top of the 5th....Red Sox up 8 to 1...I think the curse may be over

Well see.....

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The curse has nothing to do with beating the Yankees its about winning the World Series. Which the Red Sox will have to face a good team in. The curse may still strike.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Actually it is my understanding that the curse does not only have to do with winning the world series, but also has to do with the fact that when the Red Sox and Stankees play in the ALCS the Sox have never won after initiating the curse.

Shadow has a very good point, which pretty much explains it all. But I would like to know something from you, stumason! Why is it that in many forums that I frequent, the citizens of The UK consistantly refer to us as the colonies. I dont think it is meant to offend us. But I have also heard the people of the UK tv show 'Top Gear' do the same thing.

Sorry if this is off topic
, but I have been wondering this for a while now.

Fry

[edit on 10/20/2004 by frey51]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Why is it that in many forums that I frequent, the citizens of The UK, consistantly refer to us as the colonies

Its a joke. british sense of humour that no one else in the world understands.... thats what happens when you spend you life on a windy, rainy, miserable little island... you go a little quirky

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Ahh, makes sense I suppose... but the Japs are big on their baseball now, do they play in the World series?

Very true the people of Japan might like Baseball even more then us here in the states. Them and Puerto Rico they love baseball too.

Japan has their own league for baseball. The Yankees played the season opener in Japan though. I think this had alot to do with Matsuoi on the Yankess the people on the Yankees said they never seen a player liked so much as Matsuoi in Japan hes like a god over there.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up Stu.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
the Legend of the Curse

In 1918 the Red Sox won their 5th World Series, the most by any club at that time. One of the stars of the Boston championship franchise was a young pitcher by the name of George Herman Ruth, aka The Babe or The Bambino.

In 1920, however, Red Sox owner Harry Frazee needed money to finance his girlfriend's play, so he sold Babe Ruth's contract to Colonel Jacob Ruppert's New York Yankees for $100,000 (plus a loan collateralized by Fenway Park).

Since then, the Yankees, who had never won a World Championship before acquiring Ruth, have gone on to win 26, and are arguably one of the greatest success stories in the history of sport.

Meanwhile, the Boston Red Sox have appeared in only four World Series since 1918, losing each one in game seven. Many consider Boston's performance after the departure of Babe Ruth to be attributable to "The Curse of the Bambino."

This is the curse of a Bambino. The Sox have been to the World Series before but always lost it. Red Sox fans want nothing less then the World Series win they have been waiting almost a century for.

www.bambinoscurse.com...

[edit on 20-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
What happened with the curse? I'm confused, and I know about baseball

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The Red Sox won the pennant!!! WOooooooo!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Go Sox!!!

Bambino, we're sorry!!! Please in your wisdom let us win the World Series.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Though I am a Yankee fan good job Red Sox
A come back from 3-0 which is a first I think is just amazing. The Yankess played like utter $%#@ today.

You guys beat the Evil Empire this time. But remember the Empire will strike back

If you guys break the curse this is a good way to do it. Good luck

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The Red Sox have won. The curse is broken!!! Funny thing is I predicted it. I discussed THE ARIZONA CARDINALS. Hmm, I never thought I had remote viewing powers. I want to go to the parade tommorow but there is going to be 5 million people there. I think I will watch it at home.

Red Sox win the World Series!!

Broken Cu
r
s
e

Curt Schilling supports Bush by the way

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
my congraulatory remarks to the Red Sox

great job guys, comeback and everything

new topics

top topics