It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solution For OWS/Social Unrest - Public Forums

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I have an idea that I think could help bring people together to move forward through social unrest.

Monthly or bimonthly public forums where the public can talk to each other as well as with public officials and law enforcement and others. These events would be more casual than a city hall.

Here is my model:

Forums would be held on a city, state, and national level. If you live in a small town or county, maybe places with small populations could combine for one event.

On a city level, the Mayor and city counsel as well as other public officials would be required to come. As well as some representatives from the military and police force. Also required would be representatives from companies receiving large government contracts.

These people would be able stay in the indoor area. Going through security would be required to go in to make sure you don't have any weapons, but identity would not be checked. No media would be allowed inside either to keep the environment calm and casual. You could bring in informational papers and maybe ipads or similar things so people could share information and videos. Free speech would be respected as long as people remain civil and peaceful.

For very large cities, and on the state and national levels, there may be a raffle required to see the governor/mayor/president because there would probably be too many people who would want to talk to them.

Those who want to demonstrate, hold signs, chant, and do "mic checks" can stay on in the designated protest area.

Media would be welcome outside.

Those who just want to have a peaceful afternoon and chat with fellow locals about the issues can commune in the picnic area.

People would be welcome to tail-gate in the parking lot.

Public transportation would be open to those who need and request it, I am sure the kinks of that would be figured out as time goes on.

This way there would some real transparency and accountability in our government. The civic minded could come to the events and talk to the "government" face to face. I feel like things are too depersonalized at the time. The first meetings may be super packed, but I think as time goes on attendance would die down and more one on one conversation could be had.

Idk, I think this would be a very "American" solution. It would be like having hundreds of block parties / cook outs nationwide with people of all demographics. People would be able to meet others with contrasting ideologies and see that "the other" is not so scary and that we are all just people.

Eh, that's my best idea. Anyone agree, disagree, have another idea, critiques, etc?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Seems like the town hall meetings already serve this function.

Those who want to demonstrate, hold signs, chant, and do "mic checks" can stay on in the designated protest area.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of what you are suggesting?

Media would be welcome outside.

Why wouldn't the media be allowed inside? That is called a press blackout

Those who just want to have a peaceful afternoon and chat with fellow locals about the issues can commune in the picnic area.

Isnt that what people do at starbucks?

People would be welcome to tail-gate in the parking lot.

Again, wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Public transportation would be open to those who need and request it, I am sure the kinks of that would be figured out as time goes on.

Most major cities and towns already have public transport in place. I don't see why the tax payer should have to flip an extra bill so that people can hob-nob in a park.

This way there would some real transparency and accountability in our government.

Really? Because to me it seems like everyone that has something to say is told to go to the protest area and the media has to stay outside. I think people that really care already stay up to date on important issues and don't go tail-gating to find out about them.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
People need to be able to talk to our government officials as fellow people, not with the media on our back, but in a social setting.

Also there is no place open to the public where our law enforcement and military officials gather to be be interviewed by the general public. Same with government contractors. Also, the structure of town hall meetings is to formal to have any real debate or just chat. The other idea, especially with the state wide and national ones, would be to get people together from all demographics to discuss important issues, this doesn't really happen besides on online forums which most people do not participate in.

Well that's my defense, your perspective is understandable, thanks for sharing.

"Isnt that what people do at starbucks?"

I don't go to starbucks nor would I start a conversation with everyone there if I did. Again, Starbucks usually has a certain demographic not representative of the general public.
edit on 28-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

People need to be able to talk to our government officials as fellow people, not with the media on our back, but in a social setting.

Well when anyone else tries to prohibit the press from covering a story people call it a violation of "the freedom of press". The constitution is not something that is enforced when it is convenient.

Also there is no place open to the public where our law enforcement and military officials gather to be be interviewed by the general public.

Have you ever actually been to a town hall/city hall meeting?

Also, the structure of town hall meetings is to formal to have any real debate or just chat.

Just chatting does not get anything done, there has to be some formality to accomplish goals. Without that it turns into a shouting match .

The other idea, especially with the state wide and national ones, would be to get people together from all demographics to discuss important issues, this doesn't really happen besides on online forums which most people do not participate in.

Your whole thing is starting to sound more like a big block party than anything, i mean it sounds like it could be fun but what purpose would it actually serve?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
Your whole thing is starting to sound more like a big block party than anything, i mean it sounds like it could be fun but what purpose would it actually serve?

From my OP
"Idk, I think this would be a very "American" solution. It would be like having hundreds of block parties / cook outs nationwide with people of all demographics."

Yup, a big block party would be the point sorta. While it might sound dumb, I think it would help spread information and ideas. It would also make public officials and candidates seem like normal people if we could really talk to them instead of just hearing sound bites on TV of calculated agendas.

Idk, it's just an idea.

If it could be done with press allowed in would you support it?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Well bloack parties are fun, they don't get anything done.

Yup, a big block party would be the point sorta. While it might sound dumb, I think it would help spread information and ideas.

You mean spread the information that YOU want spread, remember the press are not allowed in and protesters are moved to a separate area.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed

Well bloack parties are fun, they don't get anything done.

You mean spread the information that YOU want spread, remember the press are not allowed in and protesters are moved to a separate area.

If you don't think block parties make a community work more cohesively, when then I just disagree with you.

Protesters themselves can come in but they can't yell and disturb the peace of the family atmosphere inside.

Again, this is all hypothetical, my main idea is public forums, not necessarily like my model.

"You mean spread the information that YOU want spread" - Spread the information that anyone who comes would want to spread. It's not like I would be the king of the public forums

"remember the press are not allowed in"

I just asked you if you would agree with it IF the press WERE allowed in. You didn't answer that question and just responded with that.

My model is just a hypothetical model.

The main idea of my thread is not the structure of such forums, but having them with an emphasis on both public officials, government contractors, AND law enforcement being at the same place at the same time for discussion and debate.

The whole layout and what not is not my main point.
edit on 28-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join