It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Occupy Movment and the Programmed insanity of Christmas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I was just visiting a thread authored by Getreadyalready,www.abovetopsecret.com... While reading I could not help thinking that the Occupy movement could send another message to the to 1% by just not shopping.

I find this time of year to be ugly, and a pass by the corporations in the form of "Blow Out Pricing" to go out and sin against one another and our planet for the sake of next years bonuses and bragging rights for the likes of the Walton family and their share holders.

I would bet that those that decided to opt out of the plastic gift giving may find their lives a bit less stressful before and after, especially after when all those credit card companies come calling for their percentage on your programmed generosity.

I suggest that those that are involved in the OWS movement and those that support it, boycott the insanity. Instead sit down and write a letter to your loved ones expressing your sentiments. Bake or canned treats are always nice. Or just do a favor and lend your expertise where it is needed. Better yet, be an example to your loved ones and use your money to help someone that you may not know, but is in need.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Everyone tried that. It didn't work obviously. The thing is, with this system the little dogs are just as bad as the big ones, because they want to grow up and be that big dog. They're just too naive to realize it won't happen unless they intend to screw someone else over. Mainly other middle class Americans.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Personally, I haven't done any "holiday" (eg, christmas, valentines day, independence day, halloween, thanksgiving, etc.)shopping for the past 5-6 years. I refuse to support this idiotic consumerism disease that has taken hold of this, the so-called free world. I am tired of everywhere i turn, from waiting for a bus, to using a urinal in a restaurant, of being lambasted with adverts trying to convince me that i need to part with my money.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I really like the idea of writing loving letters to friends and relatives.....I think writing a personal poem to each is a good idea too.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

As a family we do things for one another through the year. We all have varying skills and knowledge that we simply exchange. For instance I have a son that knows auto repair. He helps his loved ones without charge. We have family members that understand hardware and software, web design, construction, plumbing, on and on. We rarely as family pay for any of this stuff. It just means so much more than plastics gifts to me. It should to the rest of the consumers too.

If OWS is really going to walk the talk, they should take back the meaning of the holiday and practice it in a Christ like manner, and give our planet a few more square miles of breathing room. The trash that this one holiday generates makes me crazy.

new topics

top topics

join