It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA allows meat and produce to be blasted with radioactive nuclear waste, virus cocktails

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I often buy organic food but that has nothing to do with food irradiation, it has to do with how the food is produced.

Irradiating organic food would save lives

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I often buy organic food but that has nothing to do with food irradiation, it has to do with how the food is produced.

www.newscientist.com...

I wouldn't consider it to be organic if it was irradiated...

Food is irradiated using radioactive gamma sources, usually cobalt 60 or cesium 137, or high energy electron beams. The gamma rays break up the molecular structure of the food, forming positively and negatively charged particles called free radicals. The free radicals react with the food to create new chemical substances called "radiolytic products." Those unique to the irradiation process are known as "unique radiolytic products" (URPs).

Some radiolytic products, such as formaldehyde, benzene, formic acid, and quinones are harmful to human health. Benzene, for example, is a known carcinogen. In one experiment, seven times more benzene was found in cooked, irradiated beef than in cooked, non-irradiated beef. Some URPs are completely new chemicals that have not even been identified, let alone tested for toxicity.

In addition, irradiation destroys essential vitamins, including vitamin A, thiamin, B2, B3, B6, B12, folic acid, C, E, and K; amino acid and essential polyunsaturated fatty acid content may also be affected. A 20 to 80 percent loss of any of these is not uncommon.

www.mercola.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
By the way, it's funny we were talking about dangerous "Phage's" being used on foods, then Phage shows up...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The number one food in the US to be treated with gamma radiation is.

Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) that the military uses.

This is why they are in those funny pouches the plastic with the shiny silver foil look inside.

How many of you that fear radiation have MREs in you survival supplies.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, what's your stance on phages?

LoL I had to

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GhettoRice

Why do you think he responded in the thread in the first place?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The number one food in the US to be treated with gamma radiation is.

Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) that the military uses.

This is why they are in those funny pouches the plastic with the shiny silver foil look inside.

How many of you that fear radiation have MREs in you survival supplies.

If it's about survival, the the arguement about irradiation is invalid.

If it's about evolution and prevention of cancer and disease, it's something that should be considered.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
www.citizen.org...

“The WHO has played a role in dismissing and misrepresenting evidence suggesting that irradiated foods may not be safe for human consumption. The WHO, along with the IAEA and the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), took research that revealed health problems in animals that ate irradiated foods, and stated that the research actually revealed no health problems that could be attributed to irradiation. Moreover, some research that the WHO, IAEA and FAO initially claimed yielded adverse effects were later omitted from key reports.”

The above is an excellant source as to the betrayal of all mankind by WHO, IAEA and FAO. Forty four pages but well worth the read.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

The main concern of that article seems to be cyclobutanones:
The WHO, IAEA and FAO are not the only groups who have studied the dangers of food irradiation.

The Federal Research Centre for Nutrition at Karlsruhe, Germany (now the Max Rubner-Institute www.dwih.com.br...):

The German researchers also pointed out that a major toxicological study (the "Raltech" study; discussed in Health Protection Branch Information Letter No. 746, June 4, 1988), involving the feeding of high-dose (~56 kGy) irradiated chicken to mice, revealed no adverse effects attributed to irradiation treatment. Furthermore, all cyclobutanones tested, including 2-DCB, produced negative results in the Ames Test, a bacterial gene mutation assay. The conclusion of a toxicological evaluation of the German studies and others, including background literature on the Comet Assay, is that the data do not demonstrate positive genotoxic activity by cyclobutanones, including 2-DCB, when tested in vitro or in vivo.

www.hc-sc.gc.ca...

edit on 11/19/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
www.healthalternatives2000.com...

"As regards studies to determine the safety of food irradiation, it is difficult to find credible sources of information. For example, officials at one testing company, IBT Ltd., the testing corporation responsible for numerous studies on irradiated foods, were convicted in 1983 of conducting fraudulent research for government and industry.

The technologies of genetic engineering and irradiation are approved or recommended by many "Health" and "Consumer" groups. Upon investigation however it can be found that the health or consumer group often receives funding from the manufacturer or industry of the technology recommended, creating an obvious conflict of interest. Such an association promotes itself as a "health organization," or "consumer advocate group" but it rarely advocates against the multi-national corporations that are funding it.

For example the American Dietetic Association (ADA) has a stated purpose, "To serve the public through the promotion of optimal nutrition, health and well-being." Their position on genetic engineering is as follows: "It is the position of The American Dietetic Association that biotechnology techniques have the potential to be useful in enhancing the quality, nutritional value, and variety of food available for human consumption and in increasing the efficiency of food production, food processing, food distribution, and waste management."

It doesn't take too much investigation to find out that Monsanto, a giant corporation which has lost several lawsuits on environmental contamination issues, donates thousands of dollars each year toward various ADA programs. Other contributors to the ADA are the National Cattleman's Beef Association, National Dairy Council, Nestle and several drug companies."

I guess it all comes down to who you believe. Unfortunately for most people, the organizations with the most money will also be the most persuasive.

Personally, I'd prefer no irradiated foods. That's why I raise my own meat/foods or buy from a friend whenever possible.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
In the past year and a half on ATS I've been researching and aware of many outrageous, and often true, conspiracy facts which have made me shudder. This tops them all. Can the industry truly be that psychopathic to do this to our food supply? It pretty much proves the genocide / 500 million world population aim if so, doesn't it? There's nothing "circumstantial" about this kind of food tampering.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

Don't panic.
Go organic.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well exactly, regarding organic. Wide-eyed about the news, not quite yet panic.

We meet again, in one night. I'm not on your case either as I proceed, it's over totally different issues.

In your article, "Irradiating organic food would save lives" he claims many things, had an important position, but I'm questioning his assertions all throughout the article. He claims ;

In theory, organic food could be more prone to microbial contamination due to the absence of preservatives and the use of manure as fertiliser. However, where studies have been carried out, the results have not been conclusive. This is due to a number of factors, including a small sample size and a failure to factor in seasonal and regional variations.

Note the mention of "manure" - as if that was a staple of organic farming!

But way to present the industry "as if" eh? (Not saying it doesn't happen here and there either). Then he turns around and *blasts* them for using it. did you catch this? :

What is clear is that both organic and conventional foods are susceptible to contamination by pathogenic microorganisms at every point in the food chain. It can occur during production, from manure and water, during processing from environmental sources and during the final handling and packing, possibly as a result of poor human sanitation.

www.newscientist.com...

Anyway, amusing article Phage. Onto the reality of it :

Why Organic Raw Foods?

In todays world even the majority of raw foods may contain harmful toxins. If we can’t count on raw fruits and vegetables to be pure sources of nutrition, how are we supposed to obtain the energy necessary for life?

The answer lies in choosing organically grown or locally grown foods. Even better, you should grow your own food organically in a backyard garden, provided you don’t live near sources of pollution such as refineries, heavy industry, or freeways.

www.globalhealingcenter.com...

Needless to say, it - raw foods, and organics in general, are the way to go. How soon can they possibly convert?, and how many will catch on? are the questions "they" ask, maybe between clenched teeth, maybe not, but I'm sure what goes around will come around for them.

I added you as a friend Knight, and I've respected a number of threads you've put forth on ATS

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

haha true, its just he has been talking about the radiation only, I can only imagine the staggering insight he must have on bacteria"phage".

I can't help but smile now seeing this thread.

P.S. Much respect Phage just having fun

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Protein folding or mis-folding is a process that happens in something that is alive when proteins are formed.

Surely none of that is going to happen in something that is dead.

Proteins are not alive - they exist in a folded state that can unfold and refold under various conditions, including exposure to radiation. In fact, 'Lifeless' Prion Proteins Are 'Capable of Evolution'. Also - Hate to admit Phage is right, but he is - temperature changes can alter a protein's structure too - one of the many ways food processing creates prions and misfolded proteins. And no - proteins do NOT need to be in a living organism to misfold or maintain infectivity.

One area of research into protein misfolding looks at vaccine and drug manufacturing:

A Role for Protein Misfolding in Immunogenicity of Biopharmaceuticals

…..misfolding of therapeutic proteins is an immunogenic signal and a risk factor for immunogenicity. ……Over the past decades, the use of therapeutic proteins has become common practice in medicine ……

Protein misfolding is an intrinsic and problematic property of proteins, which underlies a variety of degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer disease.
….

……biopharmaceuticals, like any other protein, …misfolding… takes place in several preparations.

….. Various Biopharmaceuticals Display Amyloid-like Properties upon Exposure to Conditions of Stress, Indicating Protein Misfolding — During manufacturing and storage, biopharmaceuticals may also become exposed to various conditions of stress that can potentially underlie protein misfolding and the formation of amyloid-like properties.

…….the innate immune system may be activated by recognition of the amyloid-like properties of misfolded protein. …

environmental insults, either physical (heat, pressure, radiation) or chemical (heavy metals, arsenate, toxins), also cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

www.newscientist.com...
To me it's a question of choosing the lesser of two evils:

1. What are the risks if the food is not irradiated?
2. What are the risks if the food IS irradiated?

I'll have to do some research into misfolded proteins, that's an interesting angle. I don't think the origins of mad cow disease and the human form of that are well understood.

But from the research I've seen so far, I haven't seen a link between those prions and irradiation of food. However I HAVE seen what can happen if the food is NOT irradiated, so that is a known risk. So we are comparing a known risk we have evidence for, to an unknown risk we have no evidence for (at least no direct evidence of a linkage between food irradiation and misfolded-protein type diseases that I've seen).

So I tend to lean in favor of eliminating the known risks, and for that reason, and the fact that I've seen no evidence of this claimed prion relationship, I really have no problem eating food that's been irradiated...I actually think it makes it safer, as claimed, at least until it's proven otherwise.

Regarding cocktails of agents sprayed on food, I'm not crazy about that idea, but I'm not sure how much it happens and it's probably ineffective much below the surface where it's sprayed on, so in that case it can probably also be washed off and I was trained to wash food before preparing it. So my answer to that is, if you're worried about that, wash your food before you prepare or eat it.

Gamma radiation will penetrate where no spray will, so it's probably much more effective for that reason.

By the way I'm probably one of the healthiest people I ever met, so whatever the heck I'm eating, including food that's probably been irradiated, doesn't seem to be killing me.
edit on 19-11-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden
In the past year and a half on ATS I've been researching and aware of many outrageous, and often true, conspiracy facts which have made me shudder. This tops them all. Can the industry truly be that psychopathic to do this to our food supply? It pretty much proves the genocide / 500 million world population aim if so, doesn't it? There's nothing "circumstantial" about this kind of food tampering.

I think you have to understand and accept the fact that corporations are legally bound to put profit over people.

When you take this into cosideration it basically means ANYTHING is possible, including the lack of concern about the general population.....

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I don't know what we're supposed to do. It would be easy enough if people were awake and if everyone, and I mean 80% of the population, huge numbers, demanded change and sent in arrest squads for any leaders not meeting their demands. This is life and death. But without numbers, what are we supposed to do? I don't get it.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is just a bunch of horse poopy. The first thing I thought of when I began reading your thread was "what our the sources?" After seeing your source, I didn't buy what they were saying, so I did a Google Scholar search on the subject so that I could read the academic literature, and see what actual experiments have yielded.

It seems that your source is completely wrong, as their claim that this food preparation method is dangerous completely ignores the scientific data. Who are you going to trust? A website that has written articles that have been wrong on more than one occasion, or the actual scientific data? I know my answer.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Gamma radiation doesn't have any lasting radioactivity.
Once the beam stops, it's done.
Please do some research yourself before making claims like these.
edit on 20-11-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join