It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will Russia react to Terror attack?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I have seen that some 200 hostages are dead due to the attack on the Russian school. Im sure Russia did every thing they could to saves lives but they were in a bleak situation.

I fear many of the deaths will have been children that have never done anything to warrant such a attack and my heart goes out to the families that lost loved ones.

I wanted to know what actions do you think will be taken on the part of the Russian goverment due to this barbaric attack?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I've been thinking about it too...

If I know Putin, he's gonna bring the hammer down this time.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
putin's promised retribution and I expect it's going to be a pretty big blow (I suspect a lot of terrorists are in the Caucasus).

Fighting a war of occupation against terrorism is a bloody hard job, as seen what has happened in Iraq (though in Iraq the occupation made the country a haven for terrorists. People who also target Iraqi civilians as well as Occupation troops aren't freedom fighters by the way). It hasn't proved easy and the only way that I can see is for the Russians to fence of Chechnya with a mighty big wall. Or they could just nuke the crap out of Chechnya.

I don't lay the blame on Putin, the Russian Government or the Russian Military for the deaths of over 200 in that school. They were determined to work a peaceful resolution to the situation and did a mighty fine job of saving all those lives when the Sh1t hit the fan. I would like to offer my condolences to the Russian People and a well done to the Russian Authorities who tried their best to save lives.

It's those Chechen criminals faults and I have taken the most pleasure in hearing of their deaths.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   
If I were the Russian leader... after these cowardly pieces of crap attacked children deliberately I'd turn Chechnya into a piece of glass and I'd lose no sleep over it. What kind of a gutless coward attacks a school?

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

No doubt, but the question is on what? Grozny is decimated. Most fo the Chechens live in the the streets or Shanty Towns. The country has NO infrastructure to bomb. Its going to be hard to hit them IMHO. Best bet is to send Spetznaz troops overthere and hunt them down like dogs....

D

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Thing is, we haven't heard what the Russians do to Chechen women and children. What those Chechens did was terrible, but the Russians have done just as bad, except that they cover it up and bomb the place to pieces. So just remember there's always two sides to these sorts of events. The Russians have gone and kidnapped Chechen men just for the fact that they are Chechen and these young men usually do not come back alive. So don't go call the Chechens dogs, the Russians have done things just as bad, just that we haven't heard about it.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I don't know how they should react to this sit:
322 got killed (incl 155 kids)
700 wounded
barbarianism

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
If I were the Russian leader... after these cowardly pieces of crap attacked children deliberately I'd turn Chechnya into a piece of glass and I'd lose no sleep over it. What kind of a gutless coward attacks a school?

- .....er, maybe the same sort of callous cowardly lunatic "piece of crap" who'd turn loads of other schools, school children and innocent men and women (by the hundred thousand if not millions) into "glass" with nukes in an act of blind unthinking indiscriminate revenge?

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I've been thinking about it too...

- Having seen film of what a lot of Chechnya is like I would just ask ......how?

The place is a wreak. They already use airstrikes, artillery, tanks, missiles in the fighting so just what "hammer" is left to "bring down"?

Systematic genocide of the uninvolved innocents?

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

No doubt, but the question is on what?

- Absolutely Fred. What indeed.

Grozny is decimated. Most fo the Chechens live in the the streets or Shanty Towns. The country has NO infrastructure to bomb.

- Nice to see someone has seen some of the films too. Much of the place is like Berlin at the end of WW2.

Its going to be hard to hit them IMHO. Best bet is to send Spetznaz troops overthere and hunt them down like dogs....

- Nice to agree again with you Fred.

Correct. IMO that is exactly what you do......

.....and then to get any kind of settlement IMO you find people with genuine clout in that community that you can talk to and who can make agreements that will stick and do the politics with them. What else is there?

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't want to be arrogaznt but you've crashed your opinion into 3 posts
couldn't you use the edit function?

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
yeah Chechnya is in pieces from the many years of war. But I believe the Chechen terrorists and fighters are hiding in the caucasus mouintain range. Perhaps clearing the whole mountain range out might be an idea? (I am fully aware of how bloody long and hard this would be to do)

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtheiX

- "crashed" into 3 posts? Really?

Should I/we only comment from now on by invitation on this message board?

Was each not a fair and separate point to a separate poster?

(and surely the 'kill em all' nuke BS deserved a bit of a 'crashing'?)

[edit on 4-9-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by AtheiX

- "crashed" into 3 posts? Really?

Should I/we only comment from now on by invitation on this message board?

Was each not a fair and separate point to a separate poster?

(and surely the 'kill em all' nuke BS deserved a bit of a 'crashing'?)

[edit on 4-9-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

You're arrogant
I know you want to have more points and posts (joking) but far as I know yu mustn't divide your thoughts into seperate posts even if they're separate points to different posters

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well, the Russians are not very good at dealing with these hostage situations. In the West, our hostage rescue teams would methodically plan and execute an operation, with the main focus on saving innocent lives. The Russians, however, have all the finesse of a 500lb ballarina. There method is to use brute force against an enemy, not precision stikes. They are less concerned with saving lives, and more concerned about not appearing weak or helpless. This way of thinking is a throwback to the Soviet times, where the state came before the individual.
This last operation was a complete tactical failure. It was an unorganized blunder. The first thing a western government would do would be to isolate the area and evacuate any nearby citizens. In this case, citizens were actually taking part in the fighting, shooting at the terrorists in the school! This, and a number of other factors caused the situation to turn into a bloodbath. Bottom line, the Russians are incompetent at hostage rescue. Perhaps they should think about training with the SAS or Delta...

[edit on 4-9-2004 by apw100]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hopefully the Russians will put more resources in the fight against Al Qaeda since they are being tied to this incident. Al qaeda doesn't want to piss off the Spetnaz

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Well, the Russians are not very good at dealing with these hostage situations. In the West, our hostage rescue teams would methodically plan and execute an operation, with the main focus on saving innocent lives. The Russians, however, have all the finesse of a 500lb ballarina. There method is to use brute foce against an enemy, not precision stikes. They are less concerned with saving lives, and more concerned about not appearing weak or helpless. This way of thinking is a throwback to the Soviet times, where the state came before the individual.
This last operation was a complete tactical failure. It was an unorganized blunder. The first thing a western government would do would be to isolate the area and evacuate any nearby citizens. In this case, citizens were actually taking part in the fighting, shooting at the terrorists in the school! This, and a number of other factors caused the situation to turn into a bloodbath. Bottom line, the Russians are incompetent at hostage rescue. Perhaps they should think about training with the SAS or Delta...

mate you can't give into these terrorists. If you do, they'll just go get another school full of children when they want something else. The Russians wanted to end this peacefully, they sure as hell didn't want to see those kids die. IMO the Russians did the best job they could with the hostage situation and i'm pretty sure the SAS or Delta wouldn't of been able to stop that bomb going off and killing all those innocents anyway. Appearing weak or helpless is just going to lead to more deaths. You have to appear strong and not give in to their demands.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Putin's response...

(AP) - President Vladimir Putin promised on Saturday a tough response to what he called an "all-out war" by terrorists against Russia, as the body count from the school hostage-taking rose to more than 340 dead and some relatives still searched for their loved ones amid the confusion. A grim-faced Putin addressed the nation on television after a pre-dawn visit to the scene of the hostage-taking in Beslan. In a suprise admission of weakness, he said Russia's past response to terrorism had been insufficient and said he would carry out wide reforms to strengthen the security forces.

Death Toll Rises in Russia School Standoff

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I KNOW!...

Why doesn't everyone just roll over and completely capitulate to these murderers? Maybe then they will leave us all alone?

Not likely.

I liken terrorists to spoiled children in that whenever they don't get what they want, they throw a fit, just on a grand scale. That said, if we were to give in the least bit, they would know that their tantrums were causing the response they desire, and would simply continue to throw tantrums like this one, and all the others.

Another point I'd like to make is that if we were to become compassionate toward the cowardly murderers of the world, it would certainly set the precedent and establish a platform from which more cowardly murderers justify their action. In essence, crime would begin to pay. If we gave them a centimeter, they would take a kilometer, just because of their sense of entitlement stemming from the idea that they've been opressed for so long. Unfortunately, they refuse to admit that it is not the rest of the world that has opressed them, but rather their own hardline religious ideals.

My suggestion would be to ignore them, much like you would a child that cries for nothing but attention. Social ostracism may, over time, sink in. Of course, they will continue to act out with agression, but there just simply isn't a way to combat an enemy that has no center or organization. The War on Terror is an unwinnable war because every day there are born those who will grow up to blow up...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Umm... who's talking about giving in? I dont think anyone is thinking about doing that. However, Russia's response to these hostage situations is completely inadequate. Even Putin is admitting that they have been unprepared to deal with these incidents. Both times that this has happened recently, the Russian response has been disasterous, and has ended in the deaths of a large percentage of the hostages. In this case, there appears to have been almost no organization to the Russians operation. If a well trained western response team had been in charge, you can be sure that there would have been far less casualties. The Russians need to put more effort into their counter-terror operations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join