It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knowledge is leading people astray

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
People spend a lot of time devoted to learning as much as they can about who they are and what this mess we call life is about. People learn so much they can write books and make documentaries on the various subjects. One thing in life that I have realized is that no matter how much you know and learn, if you aren't able to put to use what you know then it is useless. Its as if some get caught in a never ending cycle of trying to learn and its never enough to stop.

Sooner or later if we want to progress, we have to face ourselves instead of trying to gain knowledge to find a way around ourselves.. Knowledge can be a great tool but that's all we should see it as.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Dear Ralphy,

The problem, as I see it, is slightly different. Too much search for knowledge and not enough searching for wisdom and understanding. The knowledge we get too frequently is exploited as quickly as possible without a consideration for the implications or effects. Be well.

link   
“True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.” Socrates

link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Know thyself.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Indeed, focusing solely on concepts and not balancing the learned "things" with practice in perceptive experience in this physical reality is, well, off-balance.

However to say knowledge is leading us astray? How can you claim this so absolutely other than the fact that you have the freedom to?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Life is a game, ignorance about how it works lead to mistakes and wrong doing.
I agree with ATS moto, deny ignorance, find the truth that works for you and use it in your everyday life.
Think it, feel it, do it.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Whoa now mr alien!

What planet is this where people spend all this time trying to learn about things? That sounds CRAZY! Book me a flight pronto, please!

The planet I am from people spend all their time watching utter garbage on TV, like about stupid drama queen vampire werewolves crap that isn't even interesting in any way shape or form. Or, alternatively, they watch self-important celebrities dance. They watch them dance!

Please take me to your world. I don't even care if your atmosphere is breathable to me, I'll deal with it.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Knowledge is not leading people astray.............heartlessness and apathy is.

When we allow our governments to spend tens of billions of money on weapons while 23,000 people a day die of starvation and lack of medical care and clean water that is an atrocity.

It is not knowledge-----it is knowledge put to evil usage.

Wake up...............we have enough resources, enough food, enough everything but some want it all and will allow without compassion many to die with nothing.

Some will hoard 200 pairs of shoes and handbags each worth $200 a piece and many people think this is just and fair and okay......................NO NO NO NO

We are all interconnected. Like it or not. You are me and I am thee. We are one and the same like drops of rain water and "god" is the ocean.

But most humans simply don't see the big picture................they are much too greedy.

Keep in mind civilizations progress in two parallels............technological and spiritual.

When a civilization's technological progress out paces it's spiritual progress the civilization usually rots and crumbles.................you MUST have heart with knowledge or the darkness will destroy itself.

Humanity never learns. It has happened before and is happening again.
edit on 13-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
For me, the knowledge that I seek deals with my soul. Sometimes in order to understand myself I must first look outside of me. I study and read often.

I guess in relating to your post is the idea of what a person will do with knowledge?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

Think in terms of we not me.

Second line...............we are all interconnected.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I find much more damage is caused by stupidity than knowledge.

Ignorance may be bliss, but true peace comes with knowledge and understanding. I agree with one of the above posters that apathy is definitely 2nd on the list of harmful states of mind.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

Life is a game and whether you get recycled or ascend depends upon how well you can help us figure out how to get out of the box we humans have been placed in.

Sort of like that twilight zone episode where the dolls were in a Salvation Army box.

See, if we don't figure our way out - we very well may be recycled again and again and again and again.....or not.?
edit on 13-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manula
Life is a game, ignorance about how it works lead to mistakes and wrong doing.
I agree with ATS moto, deny ignorance, find the truth that works for you and use it in your everyday life.
Think it, feel it, do it.

What in the world? I'm not even going to go and point out the contradictions between that stance and your Thread of Causless Happiness, for they should be self evident.

As far as the OP, I agree that it is only with action, that any intelligence may produce desirable results, also self evident. lol As far as what people are learning and pretending to comprehend, must first be addressed with an understanding of scientific methods, and rules of argument in order for intellect to then guide action. That is exactly where I see most people going wrong, IMO.

I think there's a lot of people who are on the verge of becoming amazing people, while they are caught up in pursuing enlightenment, give them time. It's impossible to demand or even wish that all people to act in accordinance with any ideology, especially if lack of knowledge. I'd rather have a bunch of inactive people, sitting around learning, than a bunch of ignorant people running around making descisions for the inactive. Unfortunately there's too many people in positions of power and influence that skipped a couple steps or classes while developing their intellect, in which gave us the present situation in which the world lives in.

It will come and pass, humanity goes through cycles, and this one is about to reach climax, and will be over before you know it. Three or Four generations from now, probably four, will experience a completely different world of applied Ethics and Moralities. I wouldn't at all suggest that we are suffering because of the lack of action and the progression of enlightenment, for the future will benefit from it. It may not be to your current benefit, and adhere to the way you wish things were, but I believe their efforts will not go unnoticed.

I'm sure there will be a world wide event in which forces all this knowledge into action, lets just hope people learn from the right sources.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

Knowledge can be a great tool but that's all we should see it as.

here is the issue, knowledge is not a tool

what u know force u to admit its existence, then u step back for urself existence too, then u cannot use it to consider it as an abject tool

know have the word now in it, so it means present reality u cannot play with absolute things

that is why true knowledge is about oneself, for what there u r still the same one that step back from its reality known, then u can b active in realizing how u r truly one positive constant free source to urself objective reality

while the more u experience respect to urself existence the more u will b free living, since urself is a reality of u so no jealousy there nor absent link

the true issue is knowledge reason that most everyone lack

knowledge reason is the consideration giving to the value of objective superiority

that is why also in truth u know what belongs to u entirely, the more u appreciate correctly superior objective intelligent reality and act accordingly to that right appreciation of value to u, the more u will surely know that thing out of it objectively too

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Agree with you. I'd say knowledge is abused more or less... too much time analyzing/deciphering things... labeling things this or that and right or wrong. More free thinking!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Ralphy, the cosmic voice!

Telepathically we are introduced to the way of living. Much will be known to mankind. We will establish something. A view! Correcting wrongs! We will judge! There is.. no escaping it!

Bazooka!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Intresting, I cant understand however why being astray is such a bad thing
Personally I think if people fisassociate themselves from the mainstream then this allows those individuals to be free from indoctrination. This is the internets' gift to humanity
knowledge is power and power belongs to the people.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I would like nothing more than be able to study all day long, everyday! I am serious. I understand your point OP, sometimes knowledge can run you down deep dark rabbit holes. It is good to have an understanding across the board. Relating what you learn into your life puts you on the path to wisdom.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Self defeating conclusion. You know that all you know is useless, therefore knowing that you know all you know is useless is in fact useless even when applied.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wisdom without kNowledge is Opinion and an Opinion without Wisdom is kNowledge.

So the OP is kNOwTHING more than an Opinion, since it lacks Wisdom by disclaiming kNowledge.

Ribbit

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join