It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EAS Test Failure in my area!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I am in Corvallis, OR. and I was listening to 1240 KEJO AM, and the EAS didn’t happen at all. Being curious, I contacted the radio station directly (Bi-Coastal Media), and I asked why I didn’t hear the test on their station. The lady asked where I was located and then asked if I would hold for a moment. She came back on and just said they didn’t know why it didn’t work, and they are working on it now, and she immediately hung up. That was it! No test in my area, or at least on this station I was listening to. Well, if a disaster was in process, I guess myself and anyone listening to that station are now dead. I guess this is why they test it before actually needing to use it, right? Anyone else not hear the test and you were looking/listening for it?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ChachiArcola

I didnt get it on the radio either.... :-x I dont know if it was just the station I was listening to or what, I am in Philly.

link   
I am From Ashland Oregon, also listing to the Radio AM 1440 KMED, also Bi-Coastal Media. And Likewise there was no test here.

link   
This would be a demonstration of why the system was tested.

Has there ever been an activation of the national-level EAS?

Although the EAS is frequently used by State and local governments to send weather alerts and other emergencies, there has never been a national activation of the system. The purpose of the November 9, 2011 Test is to assess the readiness and effectiveness of the current system and identify incremental improvements to better serve our communities in the preservation of life and property.

Why test the national-level EAS?

FCC’s Part 11 Rules require EAS Participants to regularly test the system on a weekly and monthly basis, called required monthly and required weekly tests. Although the EAS has been in existence for over 15 years, a nationwide test of the system has never occurred. FEMA and federal partners are working with the EAS Community to assess if the national-level system will work as designed should officials ever need to send a national alert. A simultaneous test can provide an accurate picture of the current state of the system and the improvements necessary for a more reliable and resilient EAS.

Nationwide EAS Test Reminders

•An Emergency Action Notification (EAN) live-code will be used for the Test.
•The test will last approximately 30 seconds.
•The Washington D.C. FIPS code will be used for the Test.
•An End of Message (EOM) will be used to close the EAN (an Emergency Action Termination will NOT be used).
•You should have at least two monitoring sources (review your State EAS Plan).
•NOAA Weather Radio will NOT carry the EAN- check with your SECC/LECC for monitoring sources.
•The Test will NOT use a CAP message nor evaluate CAP compliance.
•The National Weather Service is rescheduling their Required Weekly Test for Tuesday November 8th.
•If you do not have a PEP source, you may be able to monitor your local National Public Radio member station (contact NPR Headquarters).
•Properly configure your EAS Device (see the EAS Best Practices Guide in the handouts section and visit the EAS Device manufacturer website)

edit on 9-11-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
That is what tests are for. It works out all the bugs.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Didn't see it, either here in Portland area.

Had the TV on CNN, too.

EPIC FAIL!!!
edit on 9-11-2011 by TolanIsMaximus because: effect

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Utah not a beep......

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PapaKrok

Utah not a beep......

Out of curiosity you guys do know the length of the test went from 2 minuts to just 30 seconds?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Seriously? Thats what Tests are for? I had no idea that they do this to work kinks ou. I thought it was going to be perfect the first time. Thank you for clearing that up for me, and anyone else that was concerned.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I saw it

It worked here.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Actually its looking like its a staggered test. It's 01:24 cst and we just had the test roll across the screen.

link   
reply to post by PapaKrok

fox 13 had it , well that is fox for ya the Gov mouth peace.what station were you on? tv...raido?

link   
I did not get any EAS but a friend who lives 20minutes away did.

This sucks because if it was to alert for something big I would never know. On the other hand it is slightly comical to see it fail.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here in Sedona, Arizona. Started waiting for it a moment before and waited 10mins after. No test here in my area...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
No test either on the radio here in Lawrenceville, GA
Just reports of a Loud Boom and 2.7 earthquake in Dalton, GA.
I did lose internet through my VOIP phone. I rebooted the phone and got the internet connection back.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Nothing on AT&T Uverse in Detroit. I thought it was a forwarding problem. I worked many years in radio. Up to 2003 and we would receive the tests through the system when it was forwarded by another station to us. In turn wwe would have to send it out to other stations. Kind of like a spider web. One sends to multiple stations. It should still be set up that way. Maybe the forwarding didn't go as planned.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It came through real crappy for me.
I had to switch channels to find a clearer picture and sound and even then it was crappy.
Might just be my tv though.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

It actually went from 3 minutes to 30 seconds, or at least that was my understanding. If you are just making sure I didn't miss it because it was shorter, that was not the case at all. I had the radio on plenty before and plenty after the scheduled time. But thank you for the clarification!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Boston EAS test.

EDIT - I did not record this, this is NOT my TV. My TV is far superior to this one.
edit on 9-11-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
You guys in the Pacific North West are toast! I got the test here in N. East Ohio although it seemed to last less than 30 seconds.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join