It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Motto still "Deny Ignorance" ???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I think that ATS motto should be changed to "Feeding Fear" - A Place for Panic Lovers, instead of "Deny Ignorance", don`t you think so ?

I recognize/agree this whole 2012 issue is indeed so strong that is causing some unusual feelings in many people, BUT some are going so nuts that posting is getting ridiculous.

I may be wrong but I think that most ATS Gold and Silver contributors are not posting as much as they used to in the past and I don`t blame them at all if this is true

edit on 9-11-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

Naturally ATS reflects what is happening in the outside world.

The hysteria has real roots..real economic problems...real warfare.

In times like these you would expect to see many threads being generated, as always select the ones that interest you and ignore the rest.

If we all had the same opinion there would no debate whatsoever...just a crowd of nodding heads, don't get me wrong, there are posters i would happily throttle, but that's what makes ATS interesting..you will be challenged.!

Cosmic..

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Oh I totally agree with what you say. What I`m talking about is the incredible and increasing number of speculative threads on certain subjects. Look at the Elenin and YU55 subjects for example !!!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I think 'Trolling The Gullible' would be a good motto for this site.

link   
i agree the classyness of this sight started going down when i became a full time member.but i never post new threads on flying rocks.i prefer to fight over things i cant see.

link   
I agree, I've been saying as much for quite a while.

It began about 18 months ago. We got our usual "summer school's out" usual rubbish threads but for some reason the kids never left. ATS has been on an downward spiral ever since.

Complete nonsense threads, question threads, fearmongering, rediculous predictions with no basis in reality and well just poorly presented threads are ruining this place.

Somehow (I'm not sure how though) taking away the badges (I went from COSMIC to having a stupid WATS. number) and the new layout just signalled that ATS was no longer to be taken seriously. Plus it doesn't help when ATS bans the best and brightest, I guess the sponsors don't want us getting too close to the truth!

Anyway, I pop in about once a week to see if anything news worthy is posted. But I can't in good faith contribute like I used to, deny ignorance, yeah right!

All the best, Kiwi

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQ6666
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Oh I totally agree with what you say. What I`m talking about is the incredible and increasing number of speculative threads on certain subjects. Look at the Elenin and YU55 subjects for example !!!

Im happy that this happens, and im happy this site gives people the avenue to vent their fears and speculations.....

ITS HEALTHY

whats not healthy is not having discretion on what you will believe.........

That is not a responsibility of this site................that is the responsibility of the readers and members.....

Hence "Deny Ignorance" and personal accountability.........

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
i agree the kids never left.homeschoolers? i accidentally got on a proboard the other day and saw a zorgon post.same name and avatar from ats.maybe the smart people went to proboard.i dont know much about it.if somebody does ,please speak up.i like pepper but i could sure use more salt.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Tea4One

Not only that, but... really, "Trolling the gullible" is super fun to say.

When you have a website open to the greater internet that, by its own definition doesn't really worry about screening the newcomers? You're just going to catch a lot of chaff.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
But its more profitable this way.

ATS income derived from advertising is much higher the way it is now.

Much the same reason why "news" in the media is sensationalism driven. Dollars. $$$$$

If ATS was serious about "deny ignorance" then they'd be taking steps to stop all these garbage posts, doomsday threads and fearmongering. But I see no sign of that.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Coincidentally its since the time they merged ATS with BTS

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

I think it should be, "Clowns scare me".

Because they do.
Really.

Seriously, though, ATS is a great barometer for social angst. If ATS were around for Y2K, you can bet there would have been mondo panic @ December 31st.

Right now it's OWS and meteors. Then it's going to be 11.11.11.

Then the Mayan prophesy. *meh* Fun to read, but like any news outlet, look at the source.

Suggestion.
Why don't you start some new threads that illustrate other aspects of like tht aren't touched upon?

I try to do the same and it gets good responses.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I agree with ManBehindTheMask. ATS is a place where people can post theories, whatif scenarios, etc. Nobody forces you to subscribe to these theories (however wild they may be) and you have the option of simply not participating or reading a thread if it doesn't interest you.
Personally I like to go all over the place - I learn, I laugh, I scoff and I realise that people think differently - and that is okay.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I always look at the post v stars ratios and forget about flags myself as i do not tend write threads.

For me this gives an idea of the quality of the comments to be expected from the member.

The average is about 1 : 1 so your not doing too badly with a 1 : 2 ratio there.

Two stars per post.

Of course this is not a Golden Rule as i have seen highly decorated members fall from their ivory towers in spectacular fashion..

So as far as all these indicators go, i would rather just have the date of membership and nothing else.

The flags and stars feature would be useful if i could use it in search to find the most flagged threads and most starred comments.

There are IMO two types on ATS, writers/journos and commentator/contributors.

As a commentator/contributor i would like to point out that the problem of rubbish threads is a writer/journo problem and in no way reflects upon the commentator/contributor membership, it is the official opinion of the commentators/contributors union(TM) of which i am now the unelected lifetime president, that henceforth there should be a system of Black Flags for rubbish threads.

This system, we feel,will ensure a quality product is presented to the commentators/contributors for the production of stellar responses.

There is also the possibility of black stars for rubbish posts.

Star if you agree..

Cosmic..
edit on 9-11-2011 by Cosmic4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I think it is only fear if you interpret it that way.

After all, things posted are just theories

1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

6. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

If people are worried about the spreading of fear, i think they have to ask themselves "What am i doing on a forum pretty much dedicated to conspiracies".
edit on 9/11/11 by Burnerz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
What is ignorance? Let's look at the word. Ignore-ance. It means to ignore, to willfully refuse to look at or pay attention to. Although some may judge the threads and people who post them, to censor would be ignore-ance. You don't believe in free speech? You must take the ugly with the brilliant if you choose freedom.

Deny Ignorance!
(and censorship)

It's not fear-mongering. It's mentally unbalanced behavior, but how can you take it seriously? Think of it like the Jerry Springer portion of ATS. The fact that Billy Meier is the face for the Hoax! forum makes me very happy. Other sites actually believe Billy's stories!

"fear-mongering" is a strange concept. Let's try a few others.
"sex-mongering"
"violence-mongering"
"god-mongering"
"science-mongering"

What does "monger" mean?
Monger @ Etymology online

We are all quidnuncs if we're on this site.

quidnunc: "gossip-monger," 1709, formed from L. quid "what" and nunc "now," to describe someone forever asking "What's the news?"

edit on 9/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

What is ignorance? Let's look at the word. Ignore-ance. It means to ignore, to willfully refuse to look at or pay attention to.

Yes, that's true, Ignorant is the root word here. Ignorance is not a crime, in fact, I would say the majority of people are ignorant in some ways. Ignorant, to me means, the person does not know, but can learn. It is Stupidity that I cannot stand. Stupidity is a choice made by people not to every learn things, but to depend on others to do that for them. You can't fix Stupid.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Ok, so if "Deny Ignorance" means one should deny to refuse pay attention, one should take a look at the most info possible, thus GOOD INFO is the key and speculative rubish is a waste of time ....however I do agree ATS must be a profitable website for its owners so that they can deliver a good service to their audiences and for this they need the kind of visitors and members who click on ads

edit on 9-11-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

It's good to keep some speculative rubbish around. It teaches discernment, which is crucial to thinking. And who knows? The day after 9/11/2001, I was called a traitor for saying that our government was responsible for the attack. I'd read about it in 1993. 99.9% of people told me I was full of you know what, disrespectful and needed to get on board with seeking revenge by killing the bad guy. If opinions were censored, my opinion would have gone into the trash bin.

Tell me now, that I was a traitor for my thoughts and views. I dare anyone. That was projection on their part. Just because the rest of the population is so brainwashed that they can't see out of the box they're in doesn't mean that the odd view is totally worthless.

edit on 11/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
"Deny Sheeple"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join