It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor Bloomberg approves removal of Wall Street barricades due to local concerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Citing complaints from local business owners and residents Mayor Bloomberg ordered the removal of most barricades near the Occupy Wall Street protest in New York City.

This isn’t an occupation of Wall Street. It’s an occupation of a growing, vibrant residential neighborhood in Lower Manhattan, and it's really hurting small businesses and families,” said Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

“No one should think that we won't take actions that we think are appropriate when we think they are appropriate,” said Bloomberg.

The view is not universal os the Occupy protesters feel differently about their impact on the local economy and neighborhood.

Not surprisingly, protesters in Zuccotti Park take a different view of their impact on the local community. In fact, some argue that the presence of hundreds of demonstrators has been a boon to small business.

“I just spent a hundred bucks at staples down the street, at Modell’s buying camping equipment, and so forth. And I don’t think I’m unique,” said one protester.

“All these local businesses are booming. I would like you guys to go talk to Charly’s, Steve’s, McDonald’s. I mean, I’m sure the revenue is killer,” said another.

From a personal observation I was in the Lower Manhattan area on Monday and Tuesday and thought that the amount of protesters has come down somewhat from the initial total. It seemed that there were around 150-200 people at Zucotti Park on both days. This could be attributed to the poor weather we had in the Northeast on Saturday and Sunday but it was noticeably lower.

Perhaps the Mayor is heeding the complaints of the local residents and business owners but it may also be that the volume of protesters no longer requires barricades on Wall Street. The final sentence may reflect a tacit interpretation regarding sentiment of the administration and their methodology and policy in the coming weeks.

How long the occupation continues before the city clamps down remains to be seen.

source

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Protesters are saying they are helping businesses out and creating a thriving market.

Business owners say otherwise.

Hmmmm? Who do I believe?

I would have to side with the business folk on this one. They know what they are bringing in after all.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
Protesters are saying they are helping businesses out and creating a thriving market.

Business owners say otherwise.

Hmmmm? Who do I believe?

I would have to side with the business folk on this one. They know what they are bringing in after all.

Mayor bloomburger offers same reason for evicting Australian occupiers with no real statements from the business owners themselves. Hmmmm who do i believe?

I will also side with the business folks, when they actually come forward and say the protesters are hurting their business, and not from the lips of a man who's interests lie in the buildings the protesters stand out the front of.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Scaledown

But there are business owners who say that the protesters are negatively affecting their business.

Quite a large thread here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Scaledown

But there are business owners who say that the protesters are negatively affecting their business.

Quite a large thread here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
im pretty sure this reply summed up that article you linked to

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
Thousands of people spending day and night in front of your business and you can't sell coffee? Maybe it's not the OWS crowd. Maybe it's your coffee.

Then again... maybe it's Fox News.

the claims of businesses losing income sounds like total bs to me and a sad attempt to smear the OWS movement.

Besides even if it were true that a number of local businesses are suffering the matter is irrelevant.
If theres any reason anyone suffers under the current system we live in it is because of the manipulation by the TPTB to the system!
Not because of some protesters who cause 21 out of 97 employees to get laid off. Does that really matter in comparison to the global and national unemployment rates which were and still are caused by the manufactured economic instability everyone is experiencing ?? not only did the crooks in wall st and other financial sectors cause these problems but they BENEFITED from them.

And now they got their media goons going around smearing OWS with claims ranging from unsanitary conditions to labeling members as criminals with no real charges or evidence against anyone
edit on 3-11-2011 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2011 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by seenavv

Heck, I don't even like paying $1.29 for a good cup of Joe.

But if a business owner says that the protesters are affecting his/her bottom line, I believe them. They are a business...not a hobby, trying to make a living.

More and more Americans are waking up to the fact that OWS has been hijacked....just like the Tea Party, but from the opposing side.

Just more proof of division.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
isn't affecting business the whole point?
Im confused..I thought the idea was to get attention to the issues at hand, not have a quiet little protest that no one noticed.

Yes business will be affected.
IMHO, Bloomberg's statment is all false.

When you apply for an event permit, concert etc.. one of the main factors in approving your permit is the ammount of people it will draw into the area. This directly affects businesses. The more people the more money they make.

How does having an extra 200 people hurt businesses?
Total BS.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I like how the OWS supporter claims they are supporting local business and then goes on to name major corporations. You would think if they're actually trying to help the 99% they would shop locally. Instead, they are hurting not only the local businesses, but also the local farmers by causing the farmer's market to relocate.

new topics

top topics

join