It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Inevitable Has Happened: Occupy Foreclosures

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The Inevitable Has Happened: Occupy Foreclosures

www.businessinsider.com

Last night Occupy Oakland's General Assembly did something that is likely to catch on with occupations across the country.

They voted to encourage the occupation of foreclosed properties across their city. After all, the bursting of the property bubble is part of why they're on the streets right now.

There is a movement similar to this under the overall Occupy umbrella, It's called Occupy Vacant Properties, and it has been most visible in San Francisco, where families are even reclaiming their old homes post-foreclosures.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

White House Releases Locations of Excess Properties

edit on Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:16:20 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Wow - so what does everyone think about this little development?

What is the legal situation here? They will pretty much be squatting??

My thoughts is that this is treading some dangerous grounds. Obviously if this is followed through on then the movement will very literally be taking it to the suburbs - not sure how that would go down.

Citizens v Protestors??

If there is a legal loop-hole which allows people to occupy vacant homes them maybe it could work out. But i would imagine the complaints and calls to police from neighbours would surely grant police the right to evict them.

Though one thought worth considering - what if the police get vioent on protestors and then because the protesters would literally be Occupying highly residential areas, more people would see the violence. This could lead to an increase in numbers of people opposing the police???

It's an interesting development for sure.

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:18:35 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I would be happy to see people occupying the 4 empty $400,000+ houses on my side of the block alone. Especially if they can get in without much damage and get out of the cold winter. Last winter when we had 3 weeks straight of below zero temperatures, it broke my heart to see hundreds of people including children with no homes to go to. They sleeping on the sidewalks in the city. It was awful. But made me thankful.
While this could get messy, I support this movement 100%.
We have taken it up the rear for so long.... speaking out in ANY way you can is good. Like everyone has said, if enough people rise up, maybe the message will finally get across.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
A question... I haven't been following the Occupy Movements too closely. Has Obama spoken out on this yet?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This is pure ignorance.

The mortgage collapse was, essentially, enabled by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - the entire reason they grew to such proportions being their sponsorship by the National Government that, in practice, made their securities the same as a government bond.

It was all the benefits of a government bond without all the publicity of a government bond or welfare program (which is, essentially, what ended up happening when we developed the FHA and began encouraging banks to give everyone a mortgage loan so they could have their own home).

It works wonders until you realize it's bloated the economy and been a tax-by-inflation.

I cease to be amused by these OWS morons. I am now, officially, annoyed.

They will not be welcome in my neighborhood, or my town. They can pack their # up and go someplace else to protest. I don't have issues with squatters, so long as it's abandoned and they are actually taking care of the place.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Wow - so what does everyone think about this little development?
reply to post by srsen

i think it is a perfect way to get protesters of the streets and into homes where they can not be seen or heard. o.k. they might not be their homes but it would serve the purpose of making them go home whilst still feeling they are making a difference.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
In all states there is laws about adverse possession, as long as the person is taking care of the property, causes no disturbances and stays for a certain number of years, they actually could win "ownership" Banks owning them I assume would make it easy for people to actually gain adverse possession as they are way too busy to bother checking on every single property (in the thousands) they repo'ed.
Adverse Possession

I am assuming unless the neighbors do not call the banks and turn them in this could lead to a lot of new happy homeowners without costing them an arm and leg. Honestly I thought of doing it here, but it's seven years in this state before you can claim adverse possession here, and you don't always know who owns the property (I'd want to take from a bank and not a legitimate owner trying to just sell, if you know what I mean).
edit on 2-11-2011 by ldyserenity because: edit because I was wrong about the time frame

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
No, it's not a good idea. Compounding their lawlessness by breaking into homes is not OK.

The tax payers spent a lot of money building resorts out in the boon docks that would keep lots of people safe from the outside world. I think they included fences and guard towers to protect them. I believe they have rail transportation available. Add a few contractors dressed in black and you have the perfect place for the OWSers to occupy where they will be safe from the rest of the world.

So, let's round up these guys and give them an all expense paid trip to the resorts. The rest of us can go back to our daily lives without having property broken into and destroyed, streets and parks blocked and noise pollution from drums.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Some interesting thoughts - have never heard of Adverse Possession before.

I really think they would be annoying way too many people approaching it this way, but then again it DOES solve some problems i suppose.

I'm withholding judgement on this one - too many possibilities, but its a good one to keep an eye on regardless.

Didn't Detroit gone badly belly-up after the first GFC?? Perhaps the Occupiers could move en-masse there and remane it Occuville or something lol

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
This is pure ignorance.

The mortgage collapse was, essentially, enabled by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - the entire reason they grew to such proportions being their sponsorship by the National Government that, in practice, made their securities the same as a government bond.

It was all the benefits of a government bond without all the publicity of a government bond or welfare program (which is, essentially, what ended up happening when we developed the FHA and began encouraging banks to give everyone a mortgage loan so they could have their own home).

It works wonders until you realize it's bloated the economy and been a tax-by-inflation.

I cease to be amused by these OWS morons. I am now, officially, annoyed.

They will not be welcome in my neighborhood, or my town. They can pack their # up and go someplace else to protest. I don't have issues with squatters, so long as it's abandoned and they are actually taking care of the place.

You'll have to go back further in time, and arrive at the Federal Reserve Board. Who do you think pitched lower income housing? It also helps when cronies over at Goldman Sachs can profit off bubbles from both ends.

It's really a shame when people divert blame... Especially considering it's what they think instead of facts behind the full situation. That's directly AIM'ed at you.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

she just hit the nail right on the head with this one folks!
Adverse possession is a little known law, and less utilized, though it is legit.
Long ago, the state of Georgia lost an island to South Carolina by way of Adverse Possession.
But the Exact law varies by state, Texas has a 2yr continuous residency requirement, and GA...between 7-20yrs, I'm guessing according to a judge ruling.

here's a Texas case where a man used the law:

edit on 2-11-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ahmonrarh

Yes thanks for posting that I was going to, then I got sidetracked trying to track down my kid.

In Florida you also have to pay those land taxes for the land/home and The guy in your video, well that's a bit greedy but I give him

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

BEAUTIFUL

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

While that is true, like in florida, in Georgia, you MUST file with the county. pay the property taxes and otherwise, peaceably live on the property as you would any other property....basically in laymans terms, act as you own it.

and lol, so long as the Texas man pays the property taxes and maintains the upkeep on that "MCMANSION", that will keep the state happy(paying the taxes), and three years from the time he filed, he can apply for the title of the home and it's his.

OH...while i'm at it, here's a WIKIarticle below, on Georgia losing an island to South Carolina

WiKi ArticleWiKi Article

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

You'll have to go back further in time, and arrive at the Federal Reserve Board. Who do you think pitched lower income housing? It also helps when cronies over at Goldman Sachs can profit off bubbles from both ends.

We can go all the way back to the creation of the Federal Reserve, Social Security, and the process of using private enterprises to issue government-backed bonds.

The irony being that it was all done in the effort to stabilize the value of the dollar by centralizing all of the banks under the Federal Reserve.... and the markets hove shown nothing but inflation and a total lack of stability for the value of the dollar since.

It's really a shame when people divert blame... Especially considering it's what they think instead of facts behind the full situation. That's directly AIM'ed at you.

The blame that we can do something about is all at Washington. Pure and simple. We can't do anything about what freely owned and operated businesses do - unless we take the government and embed it further into businesses (which leads to more corporate purchasing of candidates - so they can have more power over the market).

Nip it right in the bud - get government out of business and transition to a backed standard currency. That will solve 80+% of our problems, and corporations will, by en-large, auto-regulate without the promise of government bailouts on their securities.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahmonrarh

Long ago, the state of Georgia lost an island to South Carolina by way of Adverse Possession.

It wasn't so long ago - 1989 in fact - and although Sth Carolina was in Adverse Possession of the "island" (it had become a peninsular of SC due to dredging), it was Georgia's acquiescence that was the deciding legal principle.

Cornel University page on the case

(just as a vaguely-possibly intersting aside to the main topic.....)
edit on 2-11-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

lo, i thought it was a while ago, since i wasnt a Georgia resident at the time. lol, I was still listening to De La Souls "3feet high and rising" album on tape....in middle school
(dun dun dun dun...pot holes in my lawn)

i moved to Georgia 5yrs later as a young teen....

but i digress....BACK TO TOPIC.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
would rather see the foreclosed homes occupied by the elderly and families with children who need homes.. But that wont happen all the able bodied leaches who want handouts will take them and trash them rather than work and keep up a home..

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

lol, that's a rather negative outlook on things.
but i guess i'll join you on that outlook as well.

i'd rather see the medical community actually heal the sick, than milk them of hopes and life in an effort to squeeze a few extra dollars out of them and excuse pharma that sells snake oil.

if you look at things, the leeching was done by those with the power on their side, those, that while they may not eat their own young, will gladly dine on yours, by way of handing out credit cards to high school students just entering college, those who will hand a single mother making less than 25k annually, and a dream of having a home for herself and kid(s) an adjustable rate mortgage of 100k plus...those that will buy and sell homes without having the original title to said property, and all for the sake of making more money off someone else falling for the trap.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by Americanist

We can go all the way back to the creation of the Federal Reserve, Social Security, and the process of using private enterprises to issue government-backed bonds.

The irony being that it was all done in the effort to stabilize the value of the dollar by centralizing all of the banks under the Federal Reserve.... and the markets hove shown nothing but inflation and a total lack of stability for the value of the dollar since.

The blame that we can do something about is all at Washington. Pure and simple. We can't do anything about what freely owned and operated businesses do - unless we take the government and embed it further into businesses (which leads to more corporate purchasing of candidates - so they can have more power over the market).

Nip it right in the bud - get government out of business and transition to a backed standard currency. That will solve 80+% of our problems, and corporations will, by en-large, auto-regulate without the promise of government bailouts on their securities.

Your estimated percentage is off with 40% of our economy being the financial sector. This industry is designed to siphon off the Country. Our government does the general population a service by regulating/ criminalizing fraud leading to insolvency. Pure and simple. Your position is to the contrary which allows MM's to further manipulate whatever it is they see fit. You honestly think the following list will auto-regulate?

Rothschild Banks of London and Berlin
Lazares Brothers Banks of Paris
Israel Moses Seif Bank of Italy
Warburg Bank of Hamburg and Amsterdam
Chase Manhattan Bank of New York
Kuhn, Loeb Bank of New York
Goldman, Sachs Bank of New York

For someone going by the name Aim, you sure miss the mark.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join