It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium Censors The Pirate Bay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by truetrigger
reply to post by mileysubet

How is it stealing when the original file is still intact and stored where it was left?

Nothing has been taken at all.....

You end up making an exact copy of the original file.....

No stealing involved....

Having something in your possession, that you have not exchanged something of value (money) for is theft.

You can argue by using your semantics bull# all day but it wont make you any less than a thief....

People that actually believe the lame excuse for theft you typed out are what is destroying the world today.....people that take from others because they think it is their right to do so simply because they can.

Calm down dude, I doubt people who believe file sharing is ok are destroying the world!

What about war, govt., terrorists, hunger, poverty, banksters, the monetary system, war on drugs, monsanto, haliburton, bildeberger, rockerfeller ... do they make your list of world destroyers, or is it just file sharers!!

And by the way, as I walk down the street and pick figs off the local public trees (possession without exchange of value) am I stealing? According to you I am. According to nature, I am spreading seeds

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by truetrigger
reply to post by mileysubet

How is it stealing when the original file is still intact and stored where it was left?

Nothing has been taken at all.....

You end up making an exact copy of the original file.....

No stealing involved....

This is what I believe strongly. The theft is the bloodlines who have created a massive system of scarsity/slavery and inequality. They're the criminals.

Viva La Pirate Bay. I am even thinking of making up Tshirts for me and the kids. But we can't afford their overpriced ones on the site! Never buy clothes brand new.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I stopped downloading Torrents awhile ago. According to Canadian law (if I remember correctly), it is legal to download content but it is illegal to upload (share) content. Unfortunately that is what you are doing with torrents.

I know subscribe to a Newsgroup service and download content waaaay faster than torrents and I don't have to share anything.

As a side note, Im not one of those people that download everything that is released, as some of my friends are. I only download some movies and music and if I like the movie, I will buy it on blu-ray for the quality and I will buy the music from a website like gomusic.com.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto
A site for criminals? Hardly.

Criminals are rapists, murderers, and thieves.

You steal intellectual property you are a thief are you not? You are a genuine criminal if you do that. If you will steal that you will steal other things. The people who create deserve to be paid for their work and only real lowlifes would steal from them that way. Bottom of the barrel and the future inmates of this world.

Don't expect honest people to buy into you have the right to steal. Nobody is being fooled.

Amazing how many are dumb enough to admit on Internet post they are criminals.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by truetrigger

"Having something in your possession, that you have not exchanged something of value (money) for is theft. " Really? You never watched a DVD off a friend?.... Listened to a cd? Did you pay them then?....... No?..... So by your logic your a theif?

Apparently, yes. Also, if you ever made a mix tape for a friend and didn't pay royalties to the musicians on the tape, would you be the thief or would it be the friend you made the mixtape for because it is in their possession? Ever borrowed a friends CD or album? Stealing! Even though your friend purchased the CD you did not pay for apparently what amounts to the right to appreciate the art so if you listen to it at all without paying for it, you are stealing it. Suppose you copy the album from your friend? He still has it, he just doesn't have to keep loaning it to you. I mean, hell, you were already stealing the music the moment you borrowed the CD, listening to it and appreciating it without paying for it. You can't unlisten to it. In for a dime, in for a dollar, might as well copy your friends CD.

Man, I'm thieving all the time when I go to the library for a movie or book. It's in my possession and I didn't pay for it. Of course I give them back, but if I, say, copied a movie from the library, would that be stealing? The library still has their copy to lend at will and I could check it out again and again any time I want for free but just don't want to waste the gas going back and forth from the library.

Again, who is being hurt by piracy? Largely, based on the financial breakdown I posted earlier, the system. The artist doesn't make that much from a CD sale as it is but certainly benefits from the word of mouth file sharing generates.

Intellectual property is interesting because it covers everything from (apparently) China and Russia stealing US tech info for PROFIT and ADVANTAGE (That is definitely stealing) and a video game developer snaking a game out from under a competitor for...PROFIT and ADVANTAGE (again definitely stealing) to downloading something from Pirate Bay (definitely not stealing unless you don't seed at least 1:1-in other words, put back in what you took out. ) There is no profit in that, no funneling money away from the artist because the fact is, that most likely, unless it was an artist I absolutely loved I would not buy the CD anyway because I have a very limited discretionary income. And again I stress, how would I know I loved an artist if I'd never heard them? How many friends do I tell about music that I love? At least 10, some of whom share it with their circle I do not seek to profit or gain. It is morally equivalent to borrowing a cd from a friend or from the library and actually ends in more people knowing about, hearing, and liking an artist, a good proportion of whom have a bigger discretionary spending budget and thus purchase CD's.

Did you notice in that breakdown that the artist royalty for a $16 CD is $1.60. The Lable profit is $1.70 but they also have $3 overhead. Nearly $10 of every $16 CD is split exclusively between the lable and the retailer (and doesn't include manufacturing costs.) Business is just pissed because people and artists are beginning to figure out how to cut out the middle man out of the process and they are used to getting their cut. Support the artists, don't support the industry.
edit on 3-11-2011 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join