It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going on in Oakland? Oakland Police Respond to #OccupyOakland, City Officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If there ever was a true Bizzaro world, Oakland would certainly be it. I have family in Oakland and they can certainly attest to the bizarre behavior of its Mayor.

See for yourself and ask a very BIG WHY.

We represent the 645 police officers who work hard every day to protect the citizens of Oakland. We, too, are the 99% fighting for better working conditions, fair treatment and the ability to provide a living for our children and families. We are severely understaffed with many City beats remaining unprotected by police during the day and evening hours.

As your police officers, we are confused.

On Tuesday, October 25th, we were ordered by Mayor Quan to clear out the encampments at Frank Ogawa Plaza and to keep protesters out of the Plaza. We performed the job that the Mayor’s Administration asked us to do, being fully aware that past protests in Oakland have resulted in rioting, violence and destruction of property.

Then, on Wednesday, October 26th, the Mayor allowed protesters back in – to camp out at the very place they were evacuated from the day before.

Makes no sense to put the lives of the police officers in danger only to let the unruly group back into their camp.

Now it gets even more bizarre

To add to the confusion, the Administration issued a memo on Friday, October 28th to all City workers in support of the “Stop Work” strike scheduled for Wednesday, giving all employees, except for police officers, permission to take the day off.

That’s hundreds of City workers encouraged to take off work to participate in the protest against “the establishment.” But aren’t the Mayor and her Administration part of the establishment they are paying City employees to protest? Is it the City’s intention to have City employees on both sides of a skirmish line?

It is all very confusing to us.

I can't believe it. The mayor is encouraging all city workers to join the big strike knowing full well that violence could easily be looming. Of course the cops can't attend the strike and any cops scheduled as off on that day are required to report for duty in the event of any trouble. How can this be right all at the wish of the mayor?

Seems like the Mayor has certainly adopted the OWS mentality

The Mayor and her Administration are beefing up police presence for Wednesday’s work strike they are encouraging and even “staffing,” spending hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars for additional police presence – at a time when the Mayor is also asking Oakland residents to vote on an $80 parcel tax to bail out the City’s failing finances.

All of these mixed messages are confusing.

This is going to end very badly. Don't blame the police blame the flippin Commie Mayor Quan of Oakland.

biggovernment.com...-365488

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
It is looking like the mayor is or has lost control and no longer has a grasp on the situation.

I think the best thing that could happen at this point is to re-task the state troopers and put them in charge of Oakland. It is obvious the police no longer have a capable leader to give them orders and the mayor is falling apart. This will put the lives of the officers in severe danger along with the citizens.

Someone needs to be in charge in that town, and if no one wants the National Guard to come in, then the only other option is the state troopers.

EDIT:
Now that I really think about it, that is how I interpret that open letter. The police are asking for a leader to step forward, they are admitting they do not know what to do. That tells me the current command has collapsed.

edit on 1-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I don't think most government officials know how to deal with this. They are trying to ignore it and squash it and that is not what our country is about. I dare a public official go out there and start a conversation about what these people would like and then talk that to the city councils and other arenas and start working on it. But, that won't happen. This police brutality is ridiculous. the only non-peaceable stuff going on is from the govt. Just tell the police to stay a couple blocks away, have cameras on the area the protesters are in and if something starts to happen, jump in (and its all on film). I doubt we will need the police.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by annecares

Things are going to heat up very fast tomorrow in Oakland. Tensions are already at the breaking point and the Mayor is actually inciting a riot and then telling the cops to go keep the peace.

The cops should just stay home and call in "sick". Let the Lord of the Flies mentality take hold in the city.

This is pathetic, unethical and downright illegal.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Tomorrow could very well be the tipping point of this movement.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Sounds to me like a shell game. While backing the OWS in some circles at the same time creating a violent atmosphere by the police reaction. Thus getting sympathy for OWS Letting off people from work to join in the protest at the same time mounting more police to the scene. Really isn't unusual and definitely not by incompetence. This is more of the back room controlling both sides of the situatiion. They know exactly what they are doing and proving they don't care who gets hurt or killed in the process. Its time the police who are part of the 99% get a brain and realized they are being used.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Why would the police put their officers in plain cloths and go around causing trouble pretending to be normal protesters?

There are some threads here at ATS with conclusive proof this is going on. Video proof.
One was the top story the other day.

So don't act like the protesters are unruly rioters, because the cops are forced to put in agent provocateurs in order to actually create calamity to justify their presence.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I do not doubt that they use that tactic, it is a given. Now that I am learning more about the whole situation, I would like to look into how and where those orders originated. I want to know if it was just a few rogues out there or if it came from the top. I think we need to look at the bigger picture and really get to the bottom of it. The authorities are desperate and desperate people do crazy things.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Why would the police put their officers in plain cloths and go around causing trouble pretending to be normal protesters?

There are some threads here at ATS with conclusive proof this is going on. Video proof.
One was the top story the other day.

So don't act like the protesters are unruly rioters, because the cops are forced to put in agent provocateurs in order to actually create calamity to justify their presence.

I was in that thread. The 1 minute video gave no proof of any attempts to provoke any trouble.

By provoking a conflict they are only putting their fellow officers at risk, then they are ordered to allow the protesters back in and then told by the mayor to report for duty while the rest of the city joins the strike at the request of the Mayor.

It makes no sense. Watch closely tomorrow.
edit on 1-11-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Thanks for the thread. I hadn't realized any city was actually releasing workers as a policy, internal or not. That is a very disturbing move in a situation like Oakland where it's already on the verge of an explosion with far more than a couple critical care casualties.

Quan sounds like a TRUE political animal of the worst kind. When I am sure business leaders and other rich folk in the community were pressing her to shut it down, she ordered it shut down and couldn't even be in the city when it happened. She was busy, apparently, with more important things. Wow...

Yet when the morning rolled around and the extent of her misjudgment politically and tactically became obvious, she basically went to the other radical extreme and sold the Police Department out. I can imagine the cops are confused. They don't even know what the rules of the situation are anymore. What was part of following the Mayors directives before, may end their careers now. I wouldn't blame them if some just resigned and looked for a Department in a city with some basic sense in it.

If she doesn't bring herself to resign and cut her losses, I certainly hope the recall works or failing that, the voters in Oakland help her out of office in the largest landslide defeat in American history for a city level race. That would make an interesting statement, actually.

edit on 1-11-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I do not know if I would go as far as to call her a political animal, I think she might be in over her head. Then compile the tug of war she is in from all angles, I can see it. Maybe you are right though.

I do not know what power the governor has, but I wonder if the thought has crossed his/her mind to get involved. Considering the circumstances and the potential for bloodshed brewing here, could the governor remove a mayor like that? Failure to uphold the office during a time of need(cracked under pressure). I wonder because a recall would take to long and the clock is ticking.

edit on 1-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Governor Moonbeam?

If this is hope....California is in trouble.

You might agree when I say Oakland can't expect cooler heads or common sense from that particular direction.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Quan thought she could play both sides and has clearly lost control of the situation did any of you know that the Oakland PD had her under investigation for protesting earlier this year?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Why do I feel as if the Police and the Mayor are trying to preemptively cover their asses? Like they just got their orders and already know that batons, tear gas grenades, and teeth will be flying tomorrow. Time will tell.
I hope they will be able work together to keep everything peaceful.

top topics

join