It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The high rising costs of the UK!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I went shopping today, one of those ' I really can't be bothered but these jean's have seen their last day' sort of thing! I hate spending money on crap like clothes and the thought of dodging people and feeling out of place in 'luxury' clothing shop drives me mad! It's obvious the c operations design the shops in such a way to make you feel inadequate and want to purchase the nicer things in life haha
Anyway.....!
A pair of jeans...'£45.00'. Now I am no big spender or even a fashion icon so this was expensive to me (still bought them, along with trainers and a shirt). Who exactly is all this higher expense cost going to?!
Three options;
Opt 1. It's going to the workers in those factories working to the bone... - Highly doubtful about that one...

Opt 2. It's going to the staff within the shops because they need higher wages due to the rising costs - Again I doubt that.

Opt 3. It's simply going to the fat cats because of greed and they need more money because of the higher costs - Spot on.

So whilst everyone is struggling from the workers in the blazing hot factories and the staff in shops barely affording their rent each month the fats cats simply make more money whilst others suffer.
How is this legal?! Why do they get away with it?! Why don't they realise we need more money now to survive....!
Life simple pleasures don't come cheap anymore and the coperations are in such power that they can use manual workers to their disposable!

When did we cross that line of empathy and consideration towards each other? Will we ever get the mutual respect for others back again (if we ever had it) ?

The UK is on a fast moving train that is only going to result in a crash, things move to fast and collisions happen.
Bills, bills, bills, electric, water, heating, gas, food, petrol, council tax, car insurance and mortgages. We can't afford it anymore and we need more money from somewhere... WHERE IS IT ALL GOING ANYWAY! We are paying more money for things and we aren't seeing the benefits?!

I swear I am away to live in the forest with a leaf as my only clothing and no one to dictate to me! I'm sure I'd probably be charged tree tax or something ridiculous anyway! I love my Country but I don't like it very much at the minute.

Whats your thoughts?!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
you should have went to primark or matalan...

one reason EVERYTHING is going up is rising oil costs.. that gets passed down to the consumer.. i.e power in the sweatshops, transport to the uk distribution centres, transport to the shops, heat and electric in the shops.. (also a few other uses of oil in this whole process, but you get my point)

plus not forgetting the robbing fat cats, with the ridiculous margins and profits.. and government taxes..

we actually pay for these items mant times over when you look at the bigger picture..

makes me

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Isn't your govt printing tons of money?

I saw a thread like that here recently.

If so, it is called inflation and contrary to popular belief it isn't good for an economy and it tends to make average people suffer.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I can assure you, our Government is certainly not printing more money hahaha nice idea but that's just not happening here! They'd rather we struggle!!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It'll get better soon I am sure, just a waiting game... anarchy is probably around the corner!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kostas

You are mistaken they are printing money. This is why the prices are going up. It devalues the currency.

£45 for jeans? You were ripped off. That is extortion. I buy cheap, they last just as long. I refuse to pay high prices. I would rather go without and wait till someone's having a clearout. There are still many deluded people around throwing away clothes simply because they have worn them twice. Stupid people.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I know what you mean although today I thought what the hell... I spent over 100.00 but in a wierd way it makes me feel good! Luckily I am smart enough to know its all just materials and it means nothing but on the other side I can see why people spend loads of things to look and feel good! I am entering the commercial dark side haha

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
A pair of designer jeans costs just a few dollars (I think it was 3 or 4 dollars) to make in Asia. The oil used to transport them and used as fuel for heating etc, costs just pennies in the gallon when compared to the price consumers are forced to pay for it. Fuel is taxed heavily when used by consumers, but nowhere near as much when used by industry. Basically its another little scam. I pay more than 45 quid for jeans but wear them till they disintegrate.

When the price of oil goes down again, they are usually slow to adjust the prices again. Just sayin'

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
We are all muppets lol.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
When will you be wearing this figleaf? pics please or it didnt happen. Only joking, i get my jeans in primark or new look, they do a nice skinny bootleg for £9.99 although primark is a living nightmare, that is the price you pay for economy. Although it worries me what the wages are that they are paying the people who makes these clothes.

More of a worry for me as a mum is rising price of food, the large supermarkets are not cheap, the exception is Lidl, although the prices there are creeping up. And im sad that the supermarkets have killed the small high street shops, ive always supported them, but it takes more than just a few people. In the town i live in, as a child, i remember it having a fishmonger, a butcher, a tobacconist (yes, a shop specially for cigarettes, with jars of tobacco on the shelves, it smelt wonderful!!) Now, its the blo*dy supermarket for everything. They own us.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Cheekily off topic I know, but ive just realised something we do get free in the UK, brit peeps, we just gotta free hour, I love going back in time, its one o clock again!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The "Fat cat" is everyone who owns the stock. Do you own stocks?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This - the so called UK - was sold-up the river many years back. OK so a week's wage was around £12.17.6d,
but then a pint of beer cost 1/9d (thats 1 shilling and nine old pennies). Could have a good night out, go for a meal and still fetch home change from a mere £1. 00. 00d (1 pound)

Mars bar would then cost 3d that's 1 and half pence today.

My Teenage years, and boy were they Great. Films worth seeing, Music we could jive to, Radio Comedy, etc.etc.etc And then our old one pound note - then worth 240 old pennies, was sold out for a European Currency. Something that reduced 240d to a now 100p.....and then the race of the top dogs started.....

Today?????????? Everything too expensive, Films packed tight with Hate and Violence, no more real comedians, and Music no one want's to hear........Stuff Modern Tech, let's turn back the clock.....

Music on a CD , with background music louder than the singer, CDs that once damaged are dustbin jobs. We could easily repair our Tapes, what a wonderful world.....

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

That's a shame that you have to worry about something that is a necessity (food) and ponder whether you'll be able to keep up with the costs, to me that is really really bad! Luckily I have no dependents (that I know about anyway
) I do shop at Primark also but that place is horrendous trying to get about inside!
I forgot the clocks have gone back so I am now up before I should be! G-u-t-t-e-d,

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by steaming
This - the so called UK - was sold-up the river many years back. OK so a week's wage was around £12.17.6d,
but then a pint of beer cost 1/9d (thats 1 shilling and nine old pennies). Could have a good night out, go for a meal and still fetch home change from a mere £1. 00. 00d (1 pound)

Mars bar would then cost 3d that's 1 and half pence today.

My Teenage years, and boy were they Great. Films worth seeing, Music we could jive to, Radio Comedy, etc.etc.etc And then our old one pound note - then worth 240 old pennies, was sold out for a European Currency. Something that reduced 240d to a now 100p.....and then the race of the top dogs started.....

Today?????????? Everything too expensive, Films packed tight with Hate and Violence, no more real comedians, and Music no one want's to hear........Stuff Modern Tech, let's turn back the clock.....

Music on a CD , with background music louder than the singer, CDs that once damaged are dustbin jobs. We could easily repair our Tapes, what a wonderful world.....

That's interesting! I never knew that about the 240 pennies thing! You know I often think I would of love to have been born 10 years earlier! The films, music, jobs, laid back. I was certainly born at the wrong time! As a young man here in the UK prospects are bleak and the future doesn't look brill (although I am sure it will be!). It's funny you should say the cost of things in the past, my old man some times says, 'Back in the day that would only be a bob or a crown!'.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kostas

One extremely important point that no-one really wants to discuss that you actually touched on:

'When did we cross that line of empathy and consideration towards each other? Will we ever get the mutual respect for others back again (if we ever had it) ?'

I strongly believe that until the human race does not make some social, spiritual and cultural progress we will be stuck in a system that will always be flawed.

This means hard work, personal work on the self, to improve the 'group think' but is avoided by most because the problem has to be on the outside, the system, the money the economy and we will try to fool oursleves by avoiding what is really needed.

Until we become better humans, we will always be trapped in some system that hurts someone.

Yah, the system must change, but before we can formulate a good one, we have to become better humans, with more integrity, higher morals, more compassion for all living creatures, and awareness of the Higher Being, God.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Also, many people believe that some kind of advancement is going to 'overcome' us in a 'shift in conciousness' to a higher level.

Typical of the human race, to think instant grafication is going to fall out of the sky and make us all better beings, leading to a more advanced system. And cheaper more affordable jeans.

Sadly, nobody wants to do the work on themselves to better this planet.

So, in my opion, jeans will get more and more expensive until we 'pull ourselves towards ourselves.'

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky
reply to post by Kostas

One extremely important point that no-one really wants to discuss that you actually touched on:

'When did we cross that line of empathy and consideration towards each other? Will we ever get the mutual respect for others back again (if we ever had it) ?'

I strongly believe that until the human race does not make some social, spiritual and cultural progress we will be stuck in a system that will always be flawed.

This means hard work, personal work on the self, to improve the 'group think' but is avoided by most because the problem has to be on the outside, the system, the money the economy and we will try to fool oursleves by avoiding what is really needed.

Until we become better humans, we will always be trapped in some system that hurts someone.

Yah, the system must change, but before we can formulate a good one, we have to become better humans, with more integrity, higher morals, more compassion for all living creatures, and awareness of the Higher Being, God.

It's all well and good saying we need social, spiritual and cultural progress but I doubt that will ever be possible because of the cycle we are stuck in and it's a cycle that doesnt act on choice its a cycle of need. We need clothes, food, water etc and how do we get them? We pay the price for them... so if you don't have the money to purchase the needs in life your not having them (thinking of thirds worlds). We couldn't brake this cycle if we wanted too! I do like your thinking though!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Thanx for your kind comment at the end.

I disagree with you though. (I think.... hmmm... a concept that is boggling my mind more and more these days.)

Will we, if we could?

May it be extremely difficult, it is still possible. (The sky is not the limited!) The human is capable of amazing stuff, we just need to think it and believe it. If the thought can just start taking root that we need to clean ourselves up, then the thought can become. Thoughts are creative. Even if it takes generations, it has the power to create. But we are not even thinking about it.

Sadly, I agree with you. I myself am not convinced that we will actually achieve upliftment. It is clear that we have the ability, but will we? Maybe if you and I and the next guy at least think about values from the inside, instead of (material) values from the outside, a seed can be sown. And spread.

I believe the ETs think that we can do it. It is a common statement by most people that have had encounters with them, that man can and must improve his inner being by starting on his relationship with all other creatures on this planet, before trying to fix the system. Fix the people who is tryin to fix the system.

So, beam me up Scotty! There is no intelligent life down here! (just joking)

Lets just at least start somewhere by spreading greatness of the hart. Help that old lady on the bus, pick up that pen the guy dropped, just be nicer and kinder. Share your sandwich with the hungry guy on the street corner, there is so much you can do to increase compassion. It has an amazing ability to spread.

Go for it!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Well its not actually free, its borrowed from the spring

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join