It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser or plasma guns will exist, i guarantee it. (maybe they do now)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I came back too late to edit the last post I made so I will add this as a new post. In my previous description of the gamma ray pulse emitting Hf178 isomer weapon I had said that the Hafnium was sputtered onto a mica target that would act as a gamma ray window for the device. The material for that is instead synthetic sapphire which acts as a scaffold to hold the Hf178 isomer in front of the x-ray tube and can take the very high heat generated by the tube when it is being electrically pumped. Initial concept model unit is about the package size of a large 6 D cell flashlight and weighs less than 40 lbs with shielding in place.

I also said 50 meter kill area and that is way off as the number is more like 50 feet. A much smaller sure kill zone than I previously stated for the 5kW pulse device. Larger sized units would of course produce more energy but the power supply limits this for flight capability for delivery of the weapon. Super-capacitor bank can hold one charge of sufficient density for one shot likely activated upon terminal guidance for the drone it is mounted on.

The cost at today's value for this special Hf178 isomer would be something on the order of 3 million per shot. That is high even for a drone weapon and the only advantage is that it would not make much noise.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
here is the wired www.wired.com... mind you this was in 2007 how far have they got? from the link

Real-Life Laser Rifle: Army Goal

By David Hambling Email Author
April 27, 2007 |
11:55 am |
Categories: Weapons and Ammo

The Army is looking at its Plasma Acoustic Shield System as a checkpoint defender, for now. But the original idea — and the long-term goal of the project — is to have it be the first baby step towards a portable, lethal laser weapon.
Navy and Air force have laser weapons, the next one will be the Army i think the M1A4 or the BFV 3
edit on 28-10-2011 by bekod because: editting

new topics

<< 1   >>

join