It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US recalls Ambassador from Syria citing safety concerns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
US withdraws ambassador to Syria over security concerns France24 News

Washington recalled its US Ambassador to Syria over security concerns, Western diplomats said Monday. Robert Ford was a vocal supporter of the protests against President Bashar al-Assad and sharply criticised the military crackdown.

REUTERS - The United States has pulled its ambassador out of Syria over security concerns after his cultivation of contacts with protesters led to attacks on his embassy and residence by backers of President Bashar al-Assad, diplomats said on Monday.

Robert Ford left Syria over the weekend, the Western diplomats told Reuters, following a series of incidents that resulted in physical damage but no casualties.

“Articles, more inciting against Ford than usual, have appeared in state media recently. He left on Saturday,” said one of the diplomats, who like others asked not to be identified due to the sensitivity of the issue.

U.S. embassy officials were not immediately available for comment.

Ford, a veteran diplomat, infuriated Syria’s rulers by getting in touch with a seven-month-old grassroots protest movement demanding an end to 41 years of Assad family rule.

I am wondering if this is due to whats going on their, or McCains comments about Syria made yesterday.

Lots of stuff occuring in the Middle East lately. Just when we start to watch how one scene unfolds, something else occurs. The release of Palestinian prisoners for the Israeli soldier was interesting. Made me think that loose ends were possibly being tied up before something major occurs.

McCain on Syria - Oct 23 2011

US State Department - Syria desk
edit on 24-10-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I saw that as well. Interesting. This should be watched. Good catch!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
seems to me Syria is next NWO target

Edit to Add :

Still but, for Syria a change is really needed, I spoke with a Syrian I know who told me that the ruler is truly an Insane Murderer
edit on 24-10-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Updated op with link

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I think Putin is backing Assad. From the Russian point of view it could be seen that the phony freedom fighters would go to Syria next, and if successful, then to Iran. Putin might feel that it would be best for Russia's interests if the mercs expired in Syria.-----------------------------

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Well, Assad, nice knowing you man. Sure you were a dick, but you were still probably the smartest guy in the region.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Well forgetting the Syrian situation, it is very undiplomatic of an Ambassador who is the guest of a foreign country to openly consort with enemies of the state..

And anyways, with a virus in those drones it's probably safer for him to be out of there..

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Didn't they just reopen the foreign mission to Syria like last year? I have to say his stay was short lived. Glad he was able to leave without bumps or bruises. It is very undiplomatic to take sides as a diplomat or at least that is how I have always thought it was?

A good diplomat keeps his/her nation's cards hidden when negotiating or communicating with foreign friends or foes. If they are unable to straddle the common ground on issues within the nations they are serving in? They become nothing more than a liability. Apparently, that may very well be the case with this diplomat? Another thing to keep in mind to is that when the diplomats begin to leave that could be a sign of a looming war. Libya is over, and Syria could be next? I shall be watching this one.
edit on 24-10-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Not good.Maybe a sign that things are about to heat up in Syria.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Well forgetting the Syrian situation, it is very undiplomatic of an Ambassador who is the guest of a foreign country to openly consort with enemies of the state..

And anyways, with a virus in those drones it's probably safer for him to be out of there..

This is the question ive ben asking myself. I know meeting with opposition is an accepted practice with ambassadors, and to my knowledge its protected under the Diplomatic accords that govern. The technical term that Syria could use was engaging in activities that are inconsistent with his position.

Syria was torqued, but didnt boot him from the country and I found that interesting. In addition to the US 3 other countries in the region have now done the same. Not sure about countries outside the region.though. The King of Jordan also gave a warning to the US Government that Assad is in it for the long haul and wont be stepping down / bend to external pressure etc.

If for some stupid reason we engage in Syria, Im curious about the domino effect. Syria and Iran have the mutual defense pact. I cant see China getting involved. Russia on the otherhand I can see getting invovled since they seem closet to Iran and Syria than what China does.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
Not good.Maybe a sign that things are about to heat up in Syria.

Im thinking larger.

I think we are now to the point where the countries we are dealing with are sufficienttly large enough / clout where any military encounter could easily spiral.

Im still amazed Israel got away with the air strike on Syria a few years back on the nuke site they had going.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I could just imagine that 'cable'.

URGENT

RE: Murdering Spree of Leaders We Don't Like

Shootin' starts in three weeks. Get your bags and hop a copter. Please don't forget our reserve of boullion in the basement. Leak this to CNN on your way out the door. We need them to keep up with their good work slaggin' those we intend to kill in cold blood.

END TRANSMISSION

Without question, there's an agenda and it appears they're sticking to it. As an aside, anyone ask the Christians in Egypt how they're liking the New Boss?

'nuff said.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Ford pissed off Assad in a big way. I have to ask why Obama was so hell bent on putting an ambassador in Syria to begin with?? That move stumped me and makes me wonder even more as to the motivations behind that move.

Side Note:
The votes are being counted in Tunisia today in their first open election in decades. Should be interesting as the Islamic element there is poised to gain a considerable foothold in this election. They are gaining a foothold in Libya, Egypt, Syria, etc... I've got a bad feeling... US troops being rushed out of Iraq.... Where will they go next?

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Welcome back Devil Dog. I missed yer ugly mug.

Yep, Syria's next, then on to Iran.

Their plan is so transparent. It's like they don't even care to make up plausible excuses anymore.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Yep, Syria's next, then on to Iran.

Iran could step in to aid Syria and save the US at least one excuse.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is a party trick

First we send in MOSSAD to stir up trouble and hand out guns and money from the zionist bankers and then we send nato in and last but not least the bankers to lend the money to rebuild the things nato has just bombed.

Tell me how many secret prisons across the world does Syria have and now tell me how many the USA has.

Joke is americans are being forced to spend $2.5bn a day, yes a day, on fighting these zionist wars and yet no one is attacking the USA but it does have millions of people dieing of cancer who can not afford the treatment if you want to know how this war on terror is going.

Libya was one big setup and we were selling gaddaffi tanks less than two years ago and yes he hosted one of these secret jails for the USA so remind me again just who are the terrorists are because i think you will find most come from walls street and nit Syrian, Libya, Iran, well anywhere that rejects banker control.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Obamas rush to put an Ambassador back was during the early years of his Presidency when he went on his appology spree to the world. He thought by putting an Mabassador back coupled with him not being Bush would work, and it did not.

Its like him giving away the ABM shield in Europe and not getting anything in return from the Russians for making the changes.

I cant even imagine the difficulties of being the PResident and Commander in Chief. However, as of now, Obama has been a failure.
edit on 24-10-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Syria just announced a recall of its ambassador from the US.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Yeah I just saw that. Piqued my interest. Curiouser and curiouser.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Not good news who knows why really us little people won't ever know until the bombs start dropping or under the guise of a "humanitarian" moniker just like Liyba.

Syria and Iran only two left that said take out Iran the entire Middle East would stabilze but recently i have come to the conclusion they don't want a stabilized Middle East.

Just had a thought with the recent killings of Bin Laden and Gadahfi makes sense to pull them out.
edit on 24-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join