It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals have more in common with the Church

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I am taking a class with huge progressive overtones. However, it does appear that the church's teachings and what conservative republicans stand for are at different sides of the spectrum,

Church documents state that the government has a MORAL obligation to provide for citizens. This includes healthcare, welfare, safety net, education etc...

Conservatives and tea party people fight for smaller gov't, individual freedoms and individual success.

So while liberals tend to be open minded towards religion and are usually not christian they have more in common with what Christianity teaches.

Or do most die-hard conservatives don't really care what the pope says?
edit on 22-10-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Technically, you are right, although conservatism, atleast in the past, has always had links with the church, morally and authoritatively.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
I am taking a class with huge progressive overtones. However, it does appear that the church's teachings and what conservative republicans stand for are at different sides of the spectrum,

Church documents state that the government has a MORAL obligation to provide for citizens. This includes healthcare, welfare, safety net, education etc...

Conservatives and tea party people fight for smaller gov't, individual freedoms and individual success.

So while liberals tend to be open minded towards religion and are usually not christian they have more in common with what Christianity teaches.

Conversely, compare the tenants of Satanism with the capitalist right. It's startling. Satanism is all about every-man-is-an-island attitude and self indulgence and to hell with those that don't "deserve" mercy.

Self-service is evil and serving others is good. Connect the dots and you can see the ironic inversion that has taken place with the extreme right co-opting Christianity.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Yes, the Liberals are for peace and the Conservatives are for war.. which is why we have the world's largest military budget and are near the bottom of reading and math test scores worldwide.

A leading Conservative by the name of Adolph Hitler said it best:

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Adolf Hitler

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

It's true... most Humanists...and most Liberals are all about helping those less fortunate and providing and sharing and so on.... much like Jesus (apparently) taught.

So it is odd.

Many Right-wingers are like **** you if you can't afford stuff.... die and lose your house, who cares.

As the guy up there said, that's essentially satanism.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a bunch of you dont know squat about satanism and that's clear.

conservatives are more religious that liberals.

how is pro choice and gay rights religious?

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Would seem to be a false premise reading the responses thus far don't see a lot of love or tolerance or compassion or empathy here.

Brainwashing in action ain't it grand.
edit on 22-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Actually, conservatives and Republicans give more time, money and blood than liberals and Democrats.

www.realclearpolitics.com...

Sixteen months ago, Arthur C. Brooks, a professor at Syracuse University, published "Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism." The surprise is that liberals are markedly less charitable than conservatives.

If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Sorry to burst your baseless accusations.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I agree. I didn't find anything useful in any of the comments comparing conservatism to satanism. It does fall under US political madness because what conservatives preach and what they fight for in politics seem to be on opposite sides. Just a note I am not a liberal I am more conservative when it comes to politics and the economy.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I think you are confused... you are talking about Christianity, but I think you actually mean Catholicism. The pope has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. As a Christian, or more accurately a "version" of one, I look at the pope as a man just like any other, and God doesn't love him any more or less than anyone else. He is nothing special, just the leader of the largest money laundering cult on the planet. By the way, I'm so Conservative I make Rush Limbaugh look like a Liberal. The main thing that modern Liberalism (Progressivism) and the Church have in common is that they are both designed to control people, through policing their activities, actions, feelings, sexuality, consumption, etc.. all the while they demand some sort of payment by the collective to the leadership in power through taxes or tithes. It is all about control and power. Nothing more. Modern Libertarianism , mixed with just enough Conservatism, mostly in regards to the Constitution, is where the ideas of true individual freedom, liberty and sovereignty can be found.... something a progressive liberal will never understand or embrace, regardless of whether or not they go to church.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

I agree. I didn't find anything useful in any of the comments comparing conservatism to satanism. It does fall under US political madness because what conservatives preach and what they fight for in politics seem to be on opposite sides. Just a note I am not a liberal I am more conservative when it comes to politics and the economy.

The comparison was to make you ask why exactly one ideology clung so tightly on the Christian demographic while the other is villianized in their eyes. When you compare them side-by-side with no agenda or preconceptions, the pair-ups that did actually happen seem strange. That was all I was pointing out.
edit on 22-10-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
a bunch of you dont know squat about satanism and that's clear.

conservatives are more religious that liberals.

how is pro choice and gay rights religious?

If you think Satanists aren't religious then it is you who needs to brush up on his Luciferian knowledge.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

i never said satanists aren't religious, well there is laveyan satanism. but thats a different topic

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm not entirely sure you're drawing the right conclusion from your class.

The only examples you mention are from the "Social Justice" wing of the Church. It is very controversial and has to find its place with other teachings. As an example, do you get the same result when you consider issues such as homosexual activity, abortion, euthanasia, conscience clauses, etc.? And the issue of subsidiarity, important to the Church, is solidly Republican and opposed by Democrats.

Besides, while you are right that the Church believes a government should "take care" of its citizens, exactly how it does that is a matter for prudential judgment, which is not the province of the Church (unless an immoral means is chosen).

It may very well be that your "progressive" class is spinning what it teaches. Be careful.

(By the way, progressives tend not to like the Pope.)

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Wow wow wow. You want to compare liberalism with the catholic church and the pope? Go right ahead....

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Conversely, compare the tenants of Satanism with the capitalist right. It's startling. Satanism is all about every-man-is-an-island attitude and self indulgence and to hell with those that don't "deserve" mercy.

Self-service is evil and serving others is good. Connect the dots and you can see the ironic inversion that has taken place with the extreme right co-opting Christianity.

It is very close to Satanism, only slightly cloaked with good deeds. Even a lot of the good deeds by the church is also selfish because is is for an evangelical agenda.

Feels like something big is coming when all becomes so...inverted.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

I think you are confused... you are talking about Christianity, Textbut I think you actually mean Catholicism. The pope has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. As a Christian, or more accurately a "version" of one, I look at the pope as a man just like any other, and God doesn't love him any more or less than anyone else. He is nothing special, just the leader of the largest money laundering cult on the planet. By the way, I'm so Conservative I make Rush Limbaugh look like a Liberal. The main thing that modern Liberalism (Progressivism) and the Church have in common is that they are both designed to control people, through policing their activities, actions, feelings, sexuality, consumption, etc.. all the while they demand some sort of payment by the collective to the leadership in power through taxes or tithes. It is all about control and power. Nothing more. Modern Libertarianism , mixed with just enough Conservatism, mostly in regards to the Constitution, is where the ideas of true individual freedom, liberty and sovereignty can be found.... something a progressive liberal will never understand or embrace, regardless of whether or not they go to church.

Optim,

I disagree. Watch, it 's prophesied in the Old and the New Covenant. When
the anti-Christ takes away the Mass and the Holy Eucharist, you must ask yourself, "why did he do that?" I pray you change before, in God's love, He's
going to forewarn, show you personally.

Every thing you know of Christ comes from the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church doesn't control you. God gave you free will, you've chosen to follow men who deny the teachings of the Church.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Jesus already told you:

And he said to them: Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's: and to God the things that are God's.

This has nothing to do with liberals ungodly beliefs in killing our children in the
womb, trying to moralize the grave sin of sodomy by legalizing homosexual unions. God has been warning our country for almost fifty years, now we face His just judgment. Pray, pray, pray. Go to Confession, save your soul.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Church forces one into uniformity while the Dems are for individuality and independence!
edit on 23-10-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
These sort of threads are always silly. Can someone tell me why religiosity matters one way or another? I don't care if my philosophy is mirrored by some faith or icon. It's not something I strive for. i suppose it's a happy coincidence, yay, someone somewhere else has an ethical foundation to their views, good for them - but i'm not going to look at it as if it's of some startling importance.

You guys argue over who's better at being jesus. I'll just be over here, doing my thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join