It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Souls

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
or actually omg new monsters instence game play 300 hours of non reptitivness?

swing sword...swing sword...swing sword...power up, heal, swing sword, game over.

all things can be reduced to repetitiveness after the opening tutorial...

Skyrim will have, for some people, far more than 300 hours of interesting gameplay, be it wandering around as a vamp prowling on lonely villagers or travellers, becoming the greatest thief around, picking plants, dungeon crawling, modding, etc.

I agree with the person you responded to...it will be superior in every possible way...for me...when I am wanting to play a RPG alone...otherwise, with a fast paced action game I want to simply burn through violently and explosively, DS may be a better option

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I would pick Skyrim over Dark Souls because it has that replay value that is not there with DS's... Plus I like running around the open world exploring and messing with the NPCs and casting spells to do funny things to your enemies... It may not be harder and not as gratifying to beat as DS's but at least the ride will be fun.....
edit on 31-10-2011 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Dark souls is great, pretty hard.
Skyrim is going to be ok, probably more of the same as in oblivion.
makes me sad, because i know im just going to get mad playing skyrim because it wont be anywhere near as good as morrowind

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Why are DS fans always trying to convince everyone its better than Skyrim? They are not even the same type of game.

Skyrim- Rpg.

Dark Souls- Action Rpg.

DS is a good game, probably the best action rpg ever but I don't see the point of comparing it to something in another genre. Apples and oranges here.

For me there is one big problem with DS that can never be overcome and thats the fact its only for consoles. With my pc's dual GTX580's I expect Skyrim will be the visual experience I have been waiting for since buying them.

As good as anything looks in DS, Skyrim on a good gaming pc will eat DS face.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
Why are DS fans always trying to convince everyone its better than Skyrim? They are not even the same type of game.

Skyrim- Rpg.

Dark Souls- Action Rpg.

DS is a good game, probably the best action rpg ever but I don't see the point of comparing it to something in another genre. Apples and oranges here.

I dont know man...your going up against a lot of great action rpgs...
The first dragon age for one...then you got the dead space things (however I preferred dragon age for character depth and story).

The second dragon age was a total flop...sad really, I was looking forward to it, and really wanted to like it...but, I simply didn't care about the people as much as I did the gray warden, and the best RPG character, Morrigon (voiced by the always delicious Claudia Black) ever.

Was the game hard? well...it wasn't super easy, but it wasn't impossible...the finishing touches was both epic, and closed enough to feel the story is over, but left enough to where they could easily open up a new path...

I don't know much about dark souls...but just knowing a lot about games, I know anything going against DAO for action rpg will be difficult
Its not always about just scare you and make you die over and over to make a good video game...strong storys, strong character development...hell, liking the characters is essencial (Dead Island...hear that? all your PCs and NPCs suck! make someone likeable for christ sakes!)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Both games are definitely the same genre, there is not much difference between them really, except that the skyrim/morrowind/oblivion games have far more npc-talking, useless items to pick up(gameworld is littered with crap-loot), less item customizability and worse animations. Oh and a far worse battle system, pathetic by comparison.

DS also has multiplayer (a DAMN GOOD, passive persistant, lingering multiplayer aspect, just adding to the scariness and immersion)

Basically, from playing through all of the games discussed released so far (oblivion, morrowind, Dark souls), i can say this; DS is like picking the juicy bits from oblivion, amplifying them x100, adding some atmosphere and actual GAMEPLAY, making it hard as nails and adding multiplay to boot.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
elder scrolls is not a rpg. it is a first person shooter with rpg elements. same goes for borderlands and fallout.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Both games are definitely the same genre, there is not much difference between them really, except that the skyrim/morrowind/oblivion games have far more npc-talking, useless items to pick up(gameworld is littered with crap-loot), less item customizability and worse animations. Oh and a far worse battle system, pathetic by comparison.

Please, that are not even close. What do you do in DS besides follow the story? Anything else? In Skyrim, you can play for more time than it takes to complete DS doing non story related activities.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hardstepah
elder scrolls is not a rpg. it is a first person shooter with rpg elements. same goes for borderlands and fallout.

Eldar Scrolls is the RPG of RPG's. Plain and simple. It does also have a third person view so your wrong to say the least.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hardstepah

Thats the most crazy comment so far.

The elder scrolls is a RPG first...and also has some combat.
Did you know, you can play the game and get into almost no direct combat?

Have you played fallout (say..new vegas) and killed nobody? (except for random mobs that you literally cannot sneak past or escape) Its a challenge actually, play fallout nv without killing a single human.

Can you name a FPS that has the possibility of winning the game without killing a single person?

So, how do you do it? well, sneak and such, high levels of charisma to negotiate things down,

its a RPG...and yes, there is some (clunky) FPS elements also...the battle is alright, but not in the same realm as a proper well honed fps...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
IGN Skyrim review score is 9.5/10

IGN Dark Souls review score is 9.0/10

Even though they are different genre the DS fanboys have been all fired up since the IGN article about DS eating Skyrims face. Well it seems someones face has been eaten but its not Skyrims.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Dark Souls reminds me of the old NES games. I remember playing the original Castlevania as a young kid and I was able to make to the Grim Reaper once. I never even made it to the last level nor the final boss--Dracula. Of course I never owned the game, but borrowed it from a friend and played it many times trying.

I love a good challenge. I may be playing DS for awhile. My current copy is having problems loading and I haven't played much xbox recently anyways. So far I'm only to Sen's Fortress. Still a long ways to go.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I own Skyrim and so does a friend of mine.
He seems to think he wants to catch up to me, but doesn't really understand it's not a race.
In sSkyrim you can take in the sights, meet new and interesting people hidden in places, and just do pretty much whatever you like. I have just recently become and extremly powerful mage and am the Archmage of Winterhold. I had no idea I would be able to become Boss of a place.

I have some awesome healing spells, I have close wounds paired with the perk that healing spells restore stamina too. I also have equilibrium which takes health to restore magic.

So Equilibrium and then close wounds until good and healthy.

Fact is, for me, a good freeroam will always beat a good linear, hands down.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well since this thread is still going.

My opinion is, after playing both games.

Ya Dark Souls was a better and funner experience for me then skyrim was. Skyrim is a good game but it is kind of repetitive, after you do the 10th dungeon you pretty much done them all. The story line in skyrim is not bad but it aint all that great. Though even DS has barely any story line to it, it still grabbed me more and made me want to play more just to know what was going on.

Though **Spoliler Alert** DS has the shortest and weirdest ending ever, after you get to the kiln of the first flame, and get past all the black knights, you end up fighting a hollowed Gwyn the lord of cinders...Then after you bet him... bam...a little cut scene... and...The End.

Then you end up in new game plus back in the dungeon at the beginning of the game...It literally leaves you with all your questions unanswered, in fact the whole storyline is in the game, and if your not careful you will miss what is happening.

Were as in skyrim you basically talked to a bunch of npc went to some dungeon killed some creature and npc, and after a while it all just blended into one. Since they were all pretty much the same go here do this type of gameplay/questing, even the dungeons are pretty much the same with just different graphical touch ups. But some of them were impressive, graphical wise that is.

Latter in the game in skyrim I was not even interested in what they had to say, or what the quest was about. And just skipped all the dialog and ran trough it killed the npc's or bosses, garbed the loot which in most times is really crappy, and just sold it all, along with all the other useless items I acquired along the way.

The fighting and gameplay tough hands down DS was better and funner then Skyrim.

They are in two different categories so it is hard to compare..But in the end for me at least Skyrim was more of a whack dudes with a sword and make sure you have plenty of potions and some magic spells available. But in the end it ended up in being a whack a mole fest, were you run up to enemies and hit them with whatever weapon your using till they go down. Then rinse and repeat. It literally was depended on having better gear and perks and level then the enemies your fighting...Or just picking them away from a distance with bows or magic.

In DS it really is a totally different experience, and it takes more patience and a little more strategy then what I played in Skyrim. It has a more old school NES/arcade feel to it, If anything it added to the whole realism thing seeing as in DS you can die pretty fast if you try to rush in there and keep whacking/hitting creatures, and since most things in the game can kill you in 2 hits, or about 5 hits with the best amour and shielding spells on, it is more about avoiding being hit, then taking hits till one of you goes down.

So in that respect I got to give DS the edge in the fun department. Which in any videogame after you get past all the fancy features, the gilts and glam, really the fun department is what matters. All in all, I had more fun and enjoyed playing Dark Souls more then I did Skyrim.

edit on 20-1-2012 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I had Skyrim I just couldn't get into it. I hate first person games. It's just a matter of taste. I was bored within the first 15 minutes.

I love Dark Souls one of the best games I've played in years.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I have both games. Demon souls is better then either one. Dark souls and skyrim, are fine games I think skyrim, is better then dark souls, its openess is epic, hell the game I am still playing consistantly between me and my wife is skyrim, when when i am not playing i am either working reading about it because we are still enjoying the game, or I am hanging out on ats. Its just a fun game. Neither one of us hae beaten it and hell it got my wife into video games win win for me.

edit on 29-1-2012 by Bicent76 because: sent from my tablet

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is a game that has a lot to teach about humanity, souls, machines, computers, virtual reality and artificial intelligence. In this game is a substance called 'humanity' which is rare and valuable, but it can also be farmed.....
Just like humans are farmed in the Matrix. Bwahahahaha ,evil laughter,
Miyazaki is a game genius!

I'm just about 140 hours and not even finished with my first play through. I spend time upgrading my weapons and running through old territories just to test them out.

A lot like reading Stephen King's epic The Stand I never want this video game playthrough to end... I just want it to keep going on and on and on... with new areas new weapons new enemies. Best $60 I've spent since Fallout 3.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I just finished the game last week. I've been playing since it came out and put 160 hours into my fist play through. One of the best games in recent memory.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
My favorite game since FF7. Maybe my top game of all time. I love dark souls so much. I have a lvl 180ish and then a lvl 105. I felt more rewarded 100%ing this game than I did with GTA:San Andreas.
Anyone playing the Artorias of the Abyss DLC? The new bosses are kinda cool, I really like the griffon(or is it a chimera?). I havent done the matchmaking versus too much yet, but I do summon people for duels, and get invaded all the damn time. Those new spells are nasty.
edit on 27-11-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by smashdem

Yeah I have the DLC. It took me 4 hours to cut the dragons tail off to get the sword. I havent messed around with the online portion much. Every time I get invaded I get my ass kicked so I stayed away from the online.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join