It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of gun can I buy with....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

You my friend are surrounded by far more knowledgeable people in Texas than can be found on this forum. You simply need to ask around, family and friends and I am sure you will find more than enough advice to last a lifetime.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
I do not have a credit card or a debt card so i cannot buy one online, witch is why I was thinking about a gun show. I know it probably depends on the dealer but can you usually find a good deal at these shows?
edit on 18-10-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

When buying through Gunbroker or GunsAmerica or other online source cash is king. Money orders or Paypal.

They almost always charge you more if you use a credit card.

Careful with gun shows. I got a lemon once buying a firearm I was not completely familiar with. Thankfully I was able to fix it and now it shoots like a champ but for that first year I was plenty ticked off. On the bright side I now know more about CETME's, H&K's and other roller-delayed firearms than I ever wanted to know.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hello, it is "of my opinion" that bursa makes damn fine guns for the money. you should be able to pick up a used .380 that will fit your budget in any local brick and mortor dealer.
Hope this helps and good luck to you. And remember, practice, practice practice. Range time is your friend with any firearm.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
dont waste your time shopping.
save your money and get a Springfield Armory XD.
I've shot the XD .45 ACP and .40 and really liked both of them, especially for the price.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
dont waste your time shopping.
save your money and get a Springfield Armory XD.
I've shot the XD .45 ACP and .40 and really liked both of them, especially for the price.

They look nice, but why buy a firearm manufactured in Croatia to a Croatian design? Support your nations economy and buy a US made and US designed firearm.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

post removed by staff

In that case, at least the US made weapon will conform to safety standards that are probably more stringent than those of Eastern European companies. I could be wrong but it's nicer to be safe than sorry.
edit on Tue Oct 18 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I actually recommend setting aside that 150 you have now and drop 20-50 bucks on it every week or so until you have roughly3-500 bucks.

Here's what you can buy with 3-500 dollars:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Realistically your budget is a little low. I just bought a 2nd gen Glock 23 for $440.00, it may have been a little high but it was from a friend of my stepson's. If $150.00 is really all you can spend I would look in pawnshops, classified ads, and private sellers at gunshows for an older .38 Special revolver. Your choice is going to be made for the specific gun. At that price you're going to see many guns that just need to be cut up. I would limit my caliber to .38 Special or 9mm or, as a last option, .380ACP. Make sure you are intimately familiar with state and local gun laws. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pregnant

In that case, at least the US made weapon will conform to safety standards that are probably more stringent than those of Eastern European companies. I could be wrong but it's nicer to be safe than sorry.

Wherever the gun is made it has to conform to standards/restrictions or it cant be imported. It's one of the reasons so many foreign manufacturers have factories in the US. Taurus, for example, can't import its TCP so it had to set up shop to manufacture them here.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

You guys draw allot of conclusions based off how much money I have to spend and one paragraph. I live in Texas I have been around guns my whole life and know how to use them. When I see a bug in my house I dont kill it like most people would because I know what life is worth. This is only the beginning of my research. I just turned 21 witch means I can own a pistol. I live in a bad neighborhood and want to protect my family. Their is nothing wrong with that.

We can only go by what you told us, bud. We don't have x-ray vision, and based on what you told us, you're not being exceptionally bright here. If you've really been around guns all your life, why are you asking such a simplistic question here? If all you've got is $150, then you're going to wind up with a POS, plain and simple. YOU are the one who asked for help here, yet you are criticizing the answers. Accept them or ignore them. otherwise [insert violation of Terms & Conditions statement here].
edit on 10/18/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

You guys draw allot of conclusions based off how much money I have to spend and one paragraph. I live in Texas I have been around guns my whole life and know how to use them. When I see a bug in my house I dont kill it like most people would because I know what life is worth. This is only the beginning of my research. I just turned 21 witch means I can own a pistol. I live in a bad neighborhood and want to protect my family. Their is nothing wrong with that.

We can only go by what you told us, bud. We don't have x-ray vision, and based on what you told us, you're not being exceptionally bright here. If you've really been around guns all your life, why are you asking such a simplistic question here? If all you've got is $150, then you're going to wind up with a POS, plain and simple. YOU are the one who asked for help here, yet you are criticizing the answers. Accept them or ignore them. otherwise [insert violation of Terms & Conditions statement here].
edit on 10/18/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Im not criticizing any one if any thing your criticizing me. I have been shooting with family since I was 7 that does not mean I know the market. I have been looking at guns and I know the prices for quality name brand guns. But from experience I know that their is usually a good brand that offers more then most brands at a good price. Some one recommended Hi-point fire arms, from what I have read they look good to me.

"We don't have x-ray vision" We? The only one giving me a hard time is you buddy. Your right you dont have X-ray vision so dont judge some one before you get to know them.
edit on 18-10-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Can you guys stop arguing?

This shouldn't be that hard.

Offer your advice and move on.

Take the advice or leave it.

It's that simple.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Another consideration of buying online through somewhere like Gunbroker is the hidden costs like shipping. The sale will also have to go through someone in your area with a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and they will charge for the transfer service. In our area their fees are very variable; anywhere from a flat $20 to 10% of the cost of the firearm which can add up fast for anything expensive.

As already stated your best bet sounds like a pawnbroker. Whatever you get make sure you like it and don't settle for something just because of the price. Check how it fits in your hand and check how the trigger feels. It should be instantly comfortable and the trigger should break clean and crisp with no drag.

My personal recommendation would be something larger than 9mm but keep in mind also that the larger the caliber the higher the cost of ammo.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You might well be able to get an Enfield SMLE for that price. They are extremely reliable (they served in both WW1 and WW2 with very few changes), deadly accurate, powerful and simple to maintain. 10 round removable magazine as standard and a very smooth bolt action.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
i agree 15 is pretty crappy. Don't lsiten to all the haters either. I would recommend getting a revolver, it won't jam.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You can go to sportmansguide.com and check out the nice selection on crossbows. There silent, and do the work. Guns make too much noise, unless they have supressors. and you won't get one for 150.00 So check out the site better to be silent, and they do work well. I go hunting with the crossbow and bag deer and elk.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by marzabeth
Personal protection or a shtf situation? Personal protection: I think that a gun could be a very bad idea. They are often not where you need them to be and if they are the odds that it being useful are slim. Personally there is nothing better than being physically able to defend oneself-learn a martial art for instance. Also having some street smarts goes along way to avoiding problems. Being aware and cautious is a better defense than relying on a gun to solve a problem

As for a shtf situation nothing is better than a good bow and arrow or cross bow.

I'll second the martial arts training, It's a lot more gratifying to kick the livin' sheet out of 1 or more guys, PLUS, nobody gets hurt that don't deserve it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join