It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New presidential campaign idea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Considering the thread about Ron Paul committing to collecting a meager salary (less than $40,000) if he is elected, reminded me of an idea I had a while back.

Anyone remember the movie Brewster's Millions?
It's a great movie and I highly recommend it.
Here's a brief overview of what it's about: www.imdb.com...

A minor league baseball player has to waste $30m in 30 days in order to inherit $300m; however he's not allowed to tell anyone about the $300m deal.

So, this concept got me thinking about how presidential candidates campaign with their main goal of raising as much money as possible. This traditional campaign method screams of greed. It's as if each candidate is up for sale to the highest bidders.

Well, I'm sure that most of you are aware of this, so I'll not waste your time expanding upon this outrageous practice and get on with my idea.

What if, each presidential candidate put up a certain amount of their own money (since most of them are wealthy anyways) and it became a race to see who could unload the money in the best and most honorable way possible? They could still accept donations, but they would have to unload these donations in under thirty days. One rule of the campaign would be that all donations had to be public information. Not one dollar could not be unaccounted for.

This type of campaign method would tell the American people exactly where their priorities stand, so they could vote according to whether they approved or disapproved of who each candidate donated to. It would also be great for charitable causes. Every four years, the charities would get a windfall of money to help their cause. Plus, charities such as Acorn would be placed into the spotlight real quick and be placed under investigation.

I hope I'm explaining my idea clearly enough.

If so, does anyone think this would work out better than our current presidential campaign method of collecting money?
Plus, I think it would be fun to watch. Each week, we could see who has the most money remaining and where everyone's donated their funds.

Imagine! A race to provide the most donations to help worthy causes and lead a nation dedicated to improving standards in many, many ways.
May the most thoughtful and generous candidate win by rejecting greed!

Edit to add: The presidential candidate wouldn't be allowed to hide secrets like in the movie where he couldn't discuss the $300mil deal. Everyone would know that the reward would be to become one of the most powerful leaders in the world.

edit on 15-10-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2011 by Afterthought because: spelling

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

That's a great idea.
I don't think it will ever come to pass, but the world needs idealists.

I'm still waiting on a candidate to say...

"Vote for me! I won't screw you over no more than the last guy."

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Thanks!
Your comment was funny, too. It would be refreshing to hear someone say that.

I just can't think of ways to make the candidates more transparent other than the idea I've brought forth. These presidential wannabes, I mean, hopefuls can give us lip service until they're blue in the face, but we still can't be sure that they will remain true to their word once their brought into office.
At least if we could see where they're putting their money and the causes they want to see flourish would we be able to see once and for all what they stand for with proof. It may even eliminate the need for political parties, which would also be a breath of fresh air!

join