It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother fires gun to protect 5 kids

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

"I was sitting in my room on the computer. I heard someone knocking on the door. Next thing you know, I heard a lot of force coming into the door. When I got up to see what was going on, the door was kicked open, so I just grabbed my gun and started firing," said Johnson.

She said it was her five girls she was thinking about when she let off four shots.

"All my kids were in the house sleeping, and I didn't want anything to happen to my children," said Johnson.

Shattered windows show where she shot through the storm window.

"All I saw was a piece of an arm running that way," said Johnson.

She stayed put, fearful of going after the unknown.

"I had no clue who it was; if they had any weapons; what was going on. Anything. So I just called the police," said Johnson.

She heard the crash, She grabbed the gun, she fired 4 shots at a fleeing arm, she didn't just shoot 1, and she didn't empty the gun, 4 shots seems like a calculated and controlled amount. She fired at the fleeing arm, and there was a shattered storm window from the bullets, so apparently they all went the same single direction. Then, she was fearful of going after the unknown, so she stayed put and called the police.

How could anyone have handled it any better? Absolutely nothing in there indicates she fired wildly?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Evanzsayz

And on that note, did anybody notice that in the rare story of a homeowner using a firearm in self-defense and being successful, there is a certain tone to the language to make the homeowner seem less responsible?

I have noticed this aswell. Everytime I hear about a person defending their home using a firearm, this person is suddenly slandered irresponsible, hysterical, or maybe even a murderer. While on other days, the same people probably go about saying they are fully supportive of a person defending their home with force. Strange.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by MissPoovey

A gun won't lay his head on your hand when you're feeling down, run after things that he has no hope of catching, to make you laugh, or wake you up if there's a fire.

And then WHY would you prefer your cherished pet to be the answer to intruders whom are most likely ARMED and could very well SHOOT and KILL the one that would, as you put it, "lay his head on your hand when you're feeling down, run after things that he has no hope of catching, to make you laugh, or wake you up if there's a fire."

Anyone that chooses their pet to do the dirty work over a firearm doesnt sound very much like a good master of their beloved dog.

Firearms are the way to go. There is NO TELLING what that dirtbag would have done to those girls had there NOT BEEN A FIREARM TO CHANGE HIS INTENTIONS!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The dog idea is good, and the gun idea is great; put them together and you have a multilayer defense that has an enhanced chance of successfully defending your home and children.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Good to see that she defended her home and children. She may not have been the best of shot, but I have seen grown men that fail under pressure, and they had training.

The only thing I would add is that a dog makes a big difference in home defense. I have a chihuahua. May not tear your leg off but I know when someone is in my yard or driveway.

Edit: I see the dog issue was brought up already. Kudos!
edit on 14-10-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

A dog probably would've made him flee also. I've also been looking into getting a gun, because I don't want my baby to get hurt.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Kudos to this woman standing up and defending her home and children! Apparently she knew enough about the gun to point it and shoot it in the correct direction, so that is good enough for me. If it was me I would do the same. Times are getting hard and people are getting desperate. I wouldn't shoot to kill, but I would shoot to deter someone from trying to enter my house without permission.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lovebringer

Why was she targetted for a home invasion? Around here there are only two groups of people who that happens to, someone known to keep lots of money at home or drug dealers. Sorry shooting at what you cant see is not safe. This is why so many more americans shoot their family members or friends than shoot intruders, you are so gun ho and so convinced that armed home invaders are coming that you shoot at noises and shadows. Finally break ins tend to happen during the day while you are at work, no one wants to sneak around your house with a flashlight at night. If you hear a noise at nite the chances are good its not an intruder. So keeping a loaded a gun under your pillow is overkill. No one is coming to hurt your family. You might as well prepare for asteroid to hit your house, it is about as likely.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by burrito

You keep right on believing there is no one going to hurt your family. Then when it happens you may change your mind to a more sensible state. Who's going to protect you the police, hahahaha all they do is clean up after the criminals. Well they also promote the governments agendas as well. So continue to believe that we all should have our guns taken away. You will get the country that you deserve.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by burrito

You have a very naive out look on life. If you honestly think that you can only be a target of home invasion by keeping a lot of money around or being a drug dealer, you are in for a rude awakening. Robbery is not always the motivation. Rape, murder and sickos just out for kicks are just as likely. I sincerely hope this will never happen to you or your family, but if it does, you will change your tune very quickly.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Agreed, two of mine are in the avatar.
They would have no problem soloing an intruder, but together they would probably be a wrecking crew.
That said I would never allow my dogs to attack anything if I can avoid it.
But they sure do make one helluva early warning system.
From there it is my fault if any wrong is done.
Redundant security is best.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Burrito... don't know where you live, but in the real world home burglaries are common.

The brave crooks that just stomp in your door and take anything worth money are not rare.

If someone busts in my home I just hope I can be as able to think quickly and shoot as straight as this Lady.

I also agree that it does sound like she used great aim and kept more shots in the mag for future use in case the robbers did not leave and came on in.

As far as the post about the title of the thread... well I used the news' title to facilitate seaching on ATS. That is what we are supposed to do, incase someone else wants to post the same story. It can be searched and found so as not to repeat over and over the same things.

Again, this Lady is an inspiration to us all. And I am proud to be from the same state.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

I live in a state where a 12 gauge is as common a household item as bleach. God bless America.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

I guess i will look to see how the shots sound and how big the holes are and then charge in after the counted 6,8, or 16 shots and hope for the best.
I applaud the woman for trying to protect hers.
Truth is, she totally failed.
There is no body to use as evidence so now every bad guy will know she is scared as a bunny and cannot control her aim.
The legal types will try to take her gun rights for firing blindly and wildy into teh ghetto.
I hope no innocents were put in danger during here shooting spree.
seems she did alot the wrong way, but hey the wolf has been repelled for now and that is all that matters right?

6, 8 or 16 shots? SHE failed, and YOUR plan is to examine hole diameters and charge in hoping for the best?

What if there are no bullet holes to inspect?

Let's say there were bullet holes, and the adrenaline pumping into your system due to being fired upon hadn't yet affected your ability to size up the bullet holes, What do you do with that information? Below what size of bullet are you willing to charge into live fire?

What is your criteria for determining "how the shots sound" and how does that play into your decision to charge in or not?

Your plan is wrong in so many ways, it boggles my mind. Good luck out there.

Someone kicks down her door and starts entering the house in the middle of the night, yet she and her 5 kids emerge from the situation alive and well = WIN

Also:
1. Nowhere does it indicate her shots were wild, in fact, they hit the storm door, so at least they were within the door frame. Pretty much where you'd want them, say, if someone was BREAKING DOWN YOUR DOOR.

2. Is East 81'st street and Park Ave. in fact a ghetto, or are you stereotyping because she is black? Google maps reveals a typical looking residential area.

3. Shooting spree? Give me a break, it was 4 shots! How many times do we hear about the police emptying their mags, reloading, and emptying those?

4. I agree with your final statement, kind of. I'd say that the victims emerging alive and well is what matters most, and I doubt like hell that the same "wolf" will ever try that crap on her again.

5. Hot tip: Run AWAY from gunfire. Hot tip #2: Don't break into peoples houses unless you want shot.

edit on 16-10-2011 by tjack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join