It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

264 arrested in NYC bicycle protest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well I wonder how far this will lead in waking the rest of America up, could it really be the turning point ? are the people saying enough is enough.
on another note I don't think it is right to us young children in protest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
264 arrested in NYC bicycle protest
NEW YORK (CNN) -- In the first major clampdown on protesters before the Republican National Convention, New York police arrested 264 people Friday night during a mass demonstration.
About 5,000 cyclists gathered in Union Square Park at 6 p.m. for "Critical Mass," a monthly bike ride around Manhattan, sponsored by environmental group "Times Up!"

Police started making arrests at around 8:30 p.m. in several locations along the bike route, including Madison Square Garden -- the venue for the Republican National Convention

More

NYC Police Arrest 250 in Bicycle Protest
www.mercurynews.com...

Police arrest 250 bicyclists, saying they caused ``massive disruptions''
www.newsday.com...

New York City police arrest 250 in bike protest
www.adn.com...

Protesters cross Brooklyn Bridge

They call themselves the MOB: Hundreds of moms with small children, plus some dads, who pushed strollers across the Brooklyn Bridge on Friday in a protest against President Bush.

The grassroots group that claims 10,000 members nationwide -- including Republicans, Democrats and independents -- was started in Annapolis, Md. by mother-of-four Iris Krasnow.
More

Anti-Bush Moms March Across Brooklyn Bridge
1010wins.com...

Fully-clothed moms and kids in Brooklyn Bridge protest
Asked what her main problem with President Bush was, Ruse said:
�Everything. I wouldn�t know where to start.�
www.nydailynews.com...

[edit on 28-8-2004 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Shocking. And more so because it isn't in the least bit surprising.

Will it wake people up? It should, but it probably won't. Shame on you Mr Bush, and shame on all Americans continue to tolerate this sort of suppression, or worse still, support it.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Suppression? yeah right....

"We gave them every opportunity to comply with the law," Browne said. "Those who didn't were arrested."

That was taken from the second link.

If these people simply followed the rules, they wouldn't be in jail right now. Just because you have the right to protest doesn't mean you have the right to do as you please and not follow rules. They backed up traffic and confronted motorists, at the least. That deserves an arrest. It's as simple as that. It all comes back to common sense and personal responsibilty.

Edit: Corrected a mistake. Quote taken from second link, not first.

[edit on 8/28/2004 by Trojanex]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Also from the first link

"Everyone was riding along when police suddenly penned us in and started picking people off," Maxwell said.

"The police actually caused more disruptions than the cyclists because they blocked off roads -- at one point for as long as an hour and a half -- whereas the cyclists were always moving."

How dare those cyclists get penned in by the police and block the street the an hour and a half. Don't they know it's un-American to protest?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The cyclists caused "massive disruptions including of people trying to get to the hospital and so we took appropriate action," said NYPD Deputy Commissioner for Public Information, Paul Browne.

We could do this all night. But, its really simple though. If they would have followed police requests, and the law, they wouldnt be in jail.

They can protest until they are blue in the face, but just because they are protestors doesnt give them the right hamper, disrupt, and impede others in the city.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The monthly bike ride drew thousands more than usual due to the number of people who wanted to protest against the convention

also from the first link above,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently they do this every month and no problems, yes there was more riders this time, but does that give the police the right to strong-arm civilians, the police knew what was going on they could have accommodated the cyclists, the cars, and even the people trying to get to the hospital. I also think they threw in the line about the hospital to make it look like they had an legitimate reason for the harassment .

[edit on 28-8-2004 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Strong arm civilians? Give me a break... The cyclist were warned; they were even given flyers. Remember, bicycles have laws also when operating on roads. It's not up to the police to "accomdate" anyone. It's not their fault the protestors couldnt follow the law.

I also think they thew in the line about the hospital to make it look like they had an legitimate reason for the harassment

Hahaha... You can do better than that; I'm sure of it. First: There was no harrassment. Laws were broken and arrests were made. Second: Its' NYC on a Fri. night. Do you seriously believe there weren't people/EMS trying to get to the hospital?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Trojan, they do this every month, why the problems now? Also, as stated, the cyclists caused no backups, the police penning them in and blocking roads caused backups.

These people chose to use freedom of speech to protest tyranny/Bush, tyranny/Bush won.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The beauty of civil disobedience anyone? Is that lost in America?

So it seems America is different in terms of the laws of mass gatherings. In the UK when there is a large national or local holiday the Police relax the drinking in the streets laws and use their common sense. When there is mass protests the Police take the issue and the right to protest into account and use their common sense. When there is a large open air festival the Police take the holiday carnival atmosphere into account and use their common sense. In that article the only arrestable offense recorded was one person throwing a beer can at an officer. I take it your Police officers either have no common sense or your precious constitution is no longer accountable.

Blocking the traffic, 'they were givin flyers'....... Oh yeah if I was out to protest and someone gave me a flyer I'd shut up straight away and go home.��don�t give me that #e. You might as well have arrested every member of the million man march for �blocking traffic�.

By the way street full of bikers getting into two in row is nearly impossible. They knew that.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The police in the US seem to have a policy to simply arrest as many people as they can for whatever reason they can find.
They dont solve problems, or protect ppl. All they do is find victims to arrest.
For example they set up illegal stings to arrest ppl knowing full well that the cases will get thrown out in court. They don't care.
All they want is the credit for the arrest.
What a wonderfully rich enviroment a protest is for the piggies eh?!!
Yes, instigate a problem and arrest the outcome...

I have to say though Americans don't seem to know how to protest very well (sp)). During the yearly "Stop the City" demo/protest in London thousands of ppl block streets, block offices, stop ppl getting to work. All Day Long...That's what I call a protest.
What does marching with a sign yelling hey ho we won't whatever do?LOL

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by muppet
Also from the first link

"Everyone was riding along when police suddenly penned us in and started picking people off," Maxwell said.

"The police actually caused more disruptions than the cyclists because they blocked off roads -- at one point for as long as an hour and a half -- whereas the cyclists were always moving."

How dare those cyclists get penned in by the police and block the street the an hour and a half. Don't they know it's un-American to protest?

Theres an Administrative Code in NY stating that you cannot purposely obstruct vehicular traffic...these protestors didnt go through the system...they were brought to a central area where warrants were checked and summons where issued....

[edit on 8/29/2004 by BasementAddix]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Trojan, they do this every month, why the problems now? Also, as stated, the cyclists caused no backups, the police penning them in and blocking roads caused backups.

These people chose to use freedom of speech to protest tyranny/Bush, tyranny/Bush won.

Caused no backups?...You obviously didnt read the news nor do you live in NYC...traffic in manhattan was backed up for 1 1/2 hrs due to these people...

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
BasementAddix, yes, it was backed up, by the police! Read it. The bikes were going on the usual path they ALWAYS TOOK ONCE A MONTH! Then the police set up roadblocks and things that disrupted traffic. THE POLICE CAUSED THE BACKUP! NOT THE BIKES! Read it all. The bikes did not cause the backups, the police did. It was stated, and quoted from the article about what, 3-4 times. Hell, you quoted the person saying it! It clearly says in the article, and in the quote you quoted that the police, not the bikes caused the backups with roadblocks set by the police.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Ya'll worry about backing up trafic, well if I had my way that traffic wouldn't move all day. America needs a wake up call. Yes you have the freedom to protest as long as you don't disturb anyone

I don't understand ppl knockin' protests, especialy ppl who post on this site.
If it wasn't for protestors, we would have,
1. No free education
2. No 40 hour week
3. No Vote for Women
4. No alchohol
5. Segregation
6. More dangerous roads (many dangerous intersections have been made safe after protestors protested)
Kinda lame list but that's all I can think of right now, but I think you will get the point.
Look at what Gandy achieved using non-violent protest and civil desobedience.
You might not like the protesters but don't knock protests. They are important and neccessary, and the only power we have that the powers that be don't.
Think about it, don't be so reactionary jeez!
Don't vote protest, show your anger!!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
The police in the US seem to have a policy to simply arrest as many people as they can for whatever reason they can find.
They dont solve problems, or protect ppl. All they do is find victims to arrest.
For example they set up illegal stings to arrest ppl knowing full well that the cases will get thrown out in court. They don't care.

I have to say though Americans don't seem to know how to protest very well (sp)). During the yearly "Stop the City" demo/protest in London thousands of ppl block streets, block offices, stop ppl getting to work. All Day Long...That's what I call a protest.

How is it illegal to set up a sting? I am a strong supporter of SWAT style stings with Delta force precision. It gives criminals a reason to worry. They do not instigate anything. The criminals put themselves in that position themsleves. Why would the police set up a sting on them? For no reason? They are put under surveillance for reasons.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TACHYON

How is it illegal to set up a sting? I am a strong supporter of SWAT style stings with Delta force precision. It gives criminals a reason to worry. They do not instigate anything. The criminals put themselves in that position themsleves. Why would the police set up a sting on them? For no reason? They are put under surveillance for reasons.

What I'm talking about is entrapment etc. when cops use entrapment and stuff to catch peolpe trying to buy drugs or pick up prostitutes etc.
I don't know the details but it happens. They justify it by saying even if the perp is not prosecuted arresting them will be enough of a deterent.
Why do you think cops would rather arrest a drug dealers customers than the drug dealer themselves? Cause there are more customers than dealers. More bang for the buck eh? They can get maybe a dozen customers as apposed to one dealer. But if you took the dealer out of the picture there would be no customers right? Crime supports the and finances the law. They don't want to erradicate it.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I don't understand ppl knockin' protests, especialy ppl who post on this site.
If it wasn't for protestors, we would have,
1. No free education
2. No 40 hour week
3. No Vote for Women
4. No alchohol
5. Segregation

Bravo..ANOK. Well said! (though I wish you hadn't wasted all that lovely tea by lobbing it into the Boston harbor, you incorrigible rabble, you!
)

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
crybabies, yet again.

The rules were made clear..they broke them..
This was not the "normal" monthly pain in the butt they create.
This was 1000's more folks..
Security is higher, and police are being more attentive..

Of course Protesting has brought on plenty of changes..you can bet that
in the past there were arrests as well..
And don't forget, getting arrested brings sympathy for the cause, whatever it may be..

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Wonder what these people did to get arrested!
Probably nothing but thats a part of loosing our rights.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join