It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Occupy Wall Street Accomplishes what You Were Not Willing to Fight For

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
There is so much negativity regarding the OWS protests on the website that it is making me sick.
Really, ATS? We're gonna go around complaining about every single issue we can find, but when people actually go out and try and make a differences, we make fun of them?! Really guys?

Not to mention our "Deny Ignorance" motto. Anyone who does some simple research can find a list of grievances for OWS, a working list of demands for congress, and videos about what the movement is about.
But, seeing as I guess we're all too good to do that research, here's the links for you:

There is an official list of grievances, on many sites: occupywallst.org...

There is a site to vote on demands for Congress: coupmedia.org...

AND, for those who just don't get it...

"Democracy is a word we throw around a lot, but it's not one that is very well understood. It's not enough to cast a ballot every four years. Democracy is a system of accountable governance -- a pledge that leaders will represent the interests of those they govern, will protect the weakest in society, and will steward collective resources (like our water and air) to ensure a sustainable future for all of us. It relies on a free press to help inform citizens of governmental action. It relies on freedom of assembly and movement to allow citizens to communicate directly with their representatives.

It is this pure notion of democracy that each and every protestor, from Tahrir Square to Wall St. is after.

So, it's not enough to study Occupy Wall St. as an American anomaly with a surprising lack of cohesion and a fascinating list of diverse demands. It can't be splintered off or explained away. This is the next phase of a global push for real democracy. And, given the poor state of democracy in the United States, it's no surprise cities are exploding with outrage, citizens are on the street, and a national movement has captured the imagination of the nation. " - Huffington Post (www.huffingtonpost.com...)

"If there is a single, clear theme, it's this: Occupy Wall Street says it represents the interests of 99 percent of the American people, against the 1 percent it says controls 50 percent of the wealth.

Gunner Scott, a spokesman for sister movement Occupy Boston, says of his group, "We are in solidarity. We are fed up with how our country is being run. We want fundamental and lasting change. We are the 99 percent not being represented by government, and our needs are not being met. We want to engage other citizens on how we might reform business and government." He looks forward to a nation where "every person has an equal voice and equal access." - ABC News (abcnews.go.com...)

The reason for being "leaderless," "faceless," and "ideology-less" is because OWS is representing the 99% of Americans who don't have a voice in government. You tell me, but do you think that 99% of Americans would be easily represented in one little "slogan?" Also, if OWS subscribes to any particular set of beliefs or ideologies, they will automatically alienate anyone who isn't a "democrat," "libertarian," "christian," "atheist," or "end-the-fed-er."
That's the reason for not doing that.

This movement has substance, it has a direction, and it has a goal.

True democracy; the way we're supposed to have it here in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Next time, please do your research before making such grandiose claims about something you are unwilling to participate in.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
ultra conservative right wing corporate shills that call everyone communists in 3....2.....1.....

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
OCCUPY WALL STREET IS STUPID!

I those fools are protesting banks and I would bet all my cash that each one of those protestors has at least one BANK ACCOUNT OR CREDIT CARD!

IF they are protesting banks they need to spread the message that they all need to close their bank accounts and stop giving the banks their money.

Idiots dont even know what they are protesting.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nihonjindesu08

If they werent being backed by the Unions and Obamanoid front groups like MoveOn.org and people like George Soros & Warren Buffet (the very people that got us in the mess in the first place) then they might have some credibility. Also if they actualy had a mandate like end the Fed or something usefull but they seem like lost sheep who have absolutely no idea what they are protestiong about,they seem to be just protesting for the sake of protesting.
edit on 5-10-2011 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by STEADFast

how do people get their pay packets if they close their accounts?
I have no option of being paid in cash, it must be paid into a financial institution, I suspect it is the same for many others.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I've been there, done that one about a dozen of these OWS love-fest threads. Please read my take on any of those threads for an in-dpeth study on why these people are stupid shills, and most of them don't even realize it. All I had to do was read thier list of demands to recognize that they are protesting for Communism.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Couldn't agree more.
I'm not one to be actively believing in the whole goverment disinfo thing but i gotta say that this site is the last place i would expect to find so much poo pooing of the 'Occupy' movement.

Honestly.

The movement would, if a success, likely bring answers for a vast mayjority of the people who post here.
From Disclosure groupies to Cryptozoology fans.

This movement has good intentions and seeks clarity of goverment and leadership. it seeks to make the lives of everyone better.

The level of organization is phenomenal considering that the entire world is involved and that the MSM is pretty much forced by the sheer momentum of the phenomena to report on it from time to time.

This sentiment that anon is comprised of teenage computer geeks is confounding considering that this thing has remained so restrained - the kind of technological know how involved in all of this gives me the impression that the ones behind it could cause an incredible amount of damage, pretty much wherever they pleased yet they remain restrained, not typical teenage behaviour to begin with.

So if these so called 'dis info' agents really are present then for the love of chuck norris's size 9 boots, DO A BETTER JOB. It is kinda pathetic to watch.

I, for one, am all for dramatic sweeping change. I'd prefer there to be no violence but the nature of those we seek to topple pretty much dictates violence unfortunatly.

Take heart however as most law enforcement and military have family that will likely get involved which means all the chips will fall with us...... Unless the enigmatic PTB start dropping the bombs, you know the 'If I can't have it then no one can' Bombs.

Death by lynch mob or thermonuclear annihilation, which sounds more like the way an arch villian would go out?

(Sorry for the numerous spelling errors but it's 6am here and i'm still waking up)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Occupy Wall Street wont accomplish a thing. So what, they are living outside on the streets of Wall Street waving signs, Big Deal! Wait til winter comes and they are freezing their asses off. Lets imagine I am a wall street guy in my nice cozy office drinking a nice cup of Starbucks, having a few muffins looking out at a bunch of smelly hippies standing outside whining. Why would I even be bothered by that?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Couldn't agree more.
I'm not one to be actively believing in the whole goverment disinfo thing but i gotta say that this site is the last place i would expect to find so much poo pooing of the 'Occupy' movement.

Honestly.

The movement would, if a success, likely bring answers for a vast mayjority of the people who post here.
From Disclosure groupies to Cryptozoology fans.

This movement has good intentions and seeks clarity of goverment and leadership. it seeks to make the lives of everyone better.

The level of organization is phenomenal considering that the entire world is involved and that the MSM is pretty much forced by the sheer momentum of the phenomena to report on it from time to time.

This sentiment that anon is comprised of teenage computer geeks is confounding considering that this thing has remained so restrained - the kind of technological know how involved in all of this gives me the impression that the ones behind it could cause an incredible amount of damage, pretty much wherever they pleased yet they remain restrained, not typical teenage behaviour to begin with.

So if these so called 'dis info' agents really are present then for the love of chuck norris's size 9 boots, DO A BETTER JOB. It is kinda pathetic to watch.

I, for one, am all for dramatic sweeping change. I'd prefer there to be no violence but the nature of those we seek to topple pretty much dictates violence unfortunatly.

Take heart however as most law enforcement and military have family that will likely get involved which means all the chips will fall with us...... Unless the enigmatic PTB start dropping the bombs, you know the 'If I can't have it then no one can' Bombs.

Death by lynch mob or thermonuclear annihilation, which sounds more like the way an arch villian would go out?

(Sorry for the numerous spelling errors but it's 6am here and i'm still waking up)

It might have good intentions as you say but that aint worth diddley squat if you dont have a mandate, Their lack of a mandate means they can be infiltrated by TPTB and obviouslty already have. If the likes of George Soros is backing them.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I've been there, done that one about a dozen of these OWS love-fest threads. Please read my take on any of those threads for an in-dpeth study on why these people are stupid shills, and most of them don't even realize it. All I had to do was read thier list of demands to recognize that they are protesting for Communism.

So whats your plan?
I am guessing that you have a better and more broad spectrum and cohesive plan to bring about lasting positive change.

After all, the problem is so straight forward and simple that a solution should be easily manageable for a single individual.

After all, If you don't have uni quals in political and social science and you don't have every piece of information and knowledge available about everything then you shouldn't speak up when things are going south. You should hold your peace because your not a perfect planner/negotiator.

How dare normal everyday people, not used to protest get involved in the best way they know how to improve the world they live in. shame on the nasty shills.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
i'm glad that there is a starting point but I feel the movement has a growing minority within itself that is misdirected.
politicians need to be held accountable for their actions of the last decade. everyone who colluded in any possible illegal activities within the US government needs to be brought to justice. the drug war needs to end, so much needs to be fixed, we can't keep going down this path, it can't last forever. we are on the verge of a coup d'etat for truth.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I will give you a plan. Start gradually reducing entitlements until they are gone. Restructure the tax code, so that nobody and no company gets subsidies, tax breaks, etc... Reduce regulation on businesses and individuals. Make government more efficient. Layoff government workers once you do.

You must realize that government is an expense, exactly the same as your cable bill. If we are going to compete in a global economy we must reduce our expenses.

As far as banks go, if you dont like them then dont put your money in one, dont borrow money from them, dont invest in wall street, etc...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Do you work for the UN by any chance? omg Collective stewardship of resources like water for sustainability? That came straight out of the UN Agenda 21.

Sounds like more Marxist hopey changey stuff...
edit on 5-10-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
they need to wait for these hot shots to exit their offices and pin them down on the ground, repeatedly slapping the ever-loving ish outta them. bongo drums and zombie makeup ain't gonna make them think twice about anything.

and what upsets me the most though, is that I'm reading here that people still support the way in which wallstreet is allowed to operate. capitalist crack must be some really potent stuff.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
they need to wait for these hot shots to exit their offices and pin them down on the ground, repeatedly slapping the ever-loving ish outta them. bongo drums and zombie makeup ain't gonna make them think twice about anything.

and what upsets me the most though, is that I'm reading here that people still support the way in which wallstreet is allowed to operate. capitalist crack must be some really potent stuff.

lol Primitive bongo drum playing must be some potent stuff too.

Hey remember way back when that catwalk collapsed with the weight of too many people dancing on it? People died...
edit on 5-10-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Convicted
I will give you a plan. Start gradually reducing entitlements until they are gone. Restructure the tax code, so that nobody and no company gets subsidies, tax breaks, etc... Reduce regulation on businesses and individuals. Make government more efficient. Layoff government workers once you do.

You must realize that government is an expense, exactly the same as your cable bill. If we are going to compete in a global economy we must reduce our expenses.

As far as banks go, if you dont like them then dont put your money in one, dont borrow money from them, dont invest in wall street, etc...

Brilliant reply, I don't have cable incidentally.
For starters. Banks and money are appendages of the same beast. they don't exist nowadays without each other. the only option for those who want to do without money is to live off of the land, All of the land is owned by someone and running from society accomplishes nothing as the whole point to remain an active member of society.

If you don't like banks then don't use them? If you don't like air pollution then stop breathing!

One of the biggest problems is an over reliance on banks, money and the massive corporations that own and run everything. The global economy is one of the various big issues here as the entire world strives to exist for it's benefit rather then the other way round.

Engaging in axioms of the old paradigm is not the answer as the old paradigm is the problem.
It's the way everything in this modern world is structured that is the fundamental problem and finding solutions within this system will not fix the problem. It's like saying that instead of entirely eliminating the cancer in the body, we should embrace it and just become a giant pulsating cancer organism.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

LOL, there is this thing called cash.
You should look into it.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

You should look into it.

ok, good point.
What gives cash it's value?
Who controls the aforementioned institution?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by auraelium

If they werent being backed by the Unions and Obamanoid front groups like MoveOn.org and people like George Soros & Warren Buffet (the very people that got us in the mess in the first place) then they might have some credibility. Also if they actualy had a mandate like end the Fed or something usefull but they seem like lost sheep who have absolutely no idea what they are protestiong about,they seem to be just protesting for the sake of protesting.
edit on 5-10-2011 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

Excuse me sir/ma'am, did you read my post?!?!?

It doesn't seem like it. You should do so before you post things.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

You should look into it.

ok, good point.
What gives cash it's value?
Who controls the aforementioned institution?

The value of cash is more or less controlled by the relative faith that people, companies, government, and institutions have in the government that issued the cash. In the greeks case, and part of why they are screwed is that they dont have their own currency. They are on the EURO. If they had their own currency they could inflate their way out of the problem, but since they are on the euro they cannot and places like Germany and France are doing relatively well compared to Greece, compounds the problem because Germany and France wouldnt want inflation.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Convicted because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join